Thread: Dragon's lightning breath I needs modification

Default Dragon's lightning breath I needs modification

The lunus/helian breath weapons are currently unbalanced:

Lightning breath: (only 2 of 3 benefits useful at high level)
    1. does damage --> useful when used by a level 100 dragon on high level mobs.
    2. debuffs target's dex and focus --> useful when used by a level 100 dragon on high level mobs.
    3. Attempts to dispel 3 buffs on target as dispel cast by 50th level caster --> useful when used by a level 50 dragon on level 50 mobs, but useless when used by a level 100 dragon on high level mobs.

Ice breath (all 3 benefits useful at high level)
    1. does damage --> useful when used by a level 100 dragon on high level mobs
    2. snares targets --> useful when used by a level 100 dragon on high level mobs
    3. debuffs target by increasing damage dealt to target from other sources --> useful when used by a level 100 dragon on high level mobs

As used by a level 100 dragon, all 3 benefits of ice breath are useful. However, for lightning breath, when used by a level 100 dragon against high level mobs the dispel as cast by a 50th level caster is effectively useless. A 50th level caster cannot effectively dispel a level 100 target. Consequently, only 2 of the 3 benefits of lightning breath are useful to a level 100 dragon - and even then a snare or damage boost is far better than a dex/focus debuff anyday.

My solution: replace the dispel on lightning breath with a stun.

Change lightning breath to:
    1. does damage (no change)
    2. debuffs target's dex and focus (no change)
    3. Stuns target for 15 seconds - it is pretty weird that an electrical attack doesn't stun a target anyways. Lightning arrows used by bipeds stun, how come the much larger amount of lightning in lightning breath fails to stun? A stun is a logical effect for lightning breath - far more logical than the useless dispel attempts.

Of course I also think that all breath weapons should do more damage. Pretty ridiculous that a breath weapon on a 5 or 10 minute timer does less damage than an AOE spell cast by the same dragon on a 30 second timer (Blast V).

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Default Re: Dragon's lightning breath I needs modification

Lightning Breath is a 7 minute timer right? Ice Breath is a 10 minute one I believe.

I agree that a stun would be more appropriate though.

lightning is also 10 mins
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

and they need to fix the fact they are breath weapon misses about 70% of the time...get reall we are 2 feet in front of the mob how does are mighty breath miss!!
    also I rarly use my breath since it does sooooo little damge only about 200-300 thats not even worth the time to stand up take a breath and breath for 3 secs and then get on all four and start regualr attacks again. I think it should do damge around 500-600 AoE

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaunoss
    Lightning Breath is a 7 minute timer right? Ice Breath is a 10 minute one I believe.

Lightning breath is also on a 10 minute timer.

Almost. Lightning is one a 10 minute timer, which is 7 minutes too long for such a crappy ability. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother looking if it's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Lycaunoss wrote: Lightning Breath is a 7 minute timer right? Ice Breath is a 10 minute one I believe.

Almost. Lightning is one a 10 minute timer, which is 7 minutes too long for such a crappy ability. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother looking if it's ready.
    LOL how many more people are going to jump in and tell me that I made a mistake? Am I the only one who actually uses the breath attacks?

gopher65

Actually, I think Lightening breath is on a 10 minu.... hehe just kidding:). I never use my breath attack. It always misses. Too bad, because it is (IMO) one of the defining dragon abilities. Much more so than "Drain Strike" which is much more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    Actually, I think Lightening breath is on a 10 minu.... hehe just kidding[img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]. I never use my breath attack. It always misses. Too bad, because it is (IMO) one of the defining dragon abilities. Much more so than "Drain Strike" which is much more useful.
    It do hit - occasionally. Not that you get so much happier when it do hit.... [:'(]

Drain strike forever - at least it does something [H]

[img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Marco wrote: [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Lycaunoss wrote: Lightning Breath is a 7 minute timer right? Ice Breath is a 10 minute one I believe.

LOL how many more people are going to jump in and tell me that I made a mistake? Am I the only one who actually uses the breath attacks?
    I occasionally use breath attacks - but mostly just for flavor to see a diffferent special effect and not because they are at all useful or effective. If I want to do damage, one shot of Blast V does more damage than either of my breath weapons and is more likely to hit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw

I occasionally use breath attacks - but mostly just for flavor to see a diffferent special effect and not because they are at all useful or effective. If I want to do damage, one shot of Blast V does more damage than either of my breath weapons and is more likely to hit too.
    Ok so it looks like everyone agrees that it's cool and that's the number one reason that you would use it. I can understand that at least. Let me ask you this then. Do you put T&C tech on your scales? What about Primal? More importantly why?

I'll tell you why I put Primal on absolutely every scale I use for adventuring. So that I don't miss when I attack something with spells and so that my spells do more damage. Of course if you don't use the techs your chances of hitting will be significantly reduced. I have 6 scales with Dragon Breath V on them. That adds 150 to my DB skill. I miss on average 1 in 6 times when fighting mobs in the 80-100 range. My damage is somewhere in between Tempest and Blast and I suspect that when burning embers fires that I do more damage than a Blast though it's spread out over a longer period of time.

I still think that Lightning Breath should stun. Anything that's on a ten minute timer should be pretty spectacular.

[img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Fireclaw wrote:

Ok so it looks like everyone agrees that it's cool and that's the number one reason that you would use it. I can understand that at least. Let me ask you this then. Do you put T&C tech on your scales? What about Primal? More importantly why?

I'll tell you why I put Primal on absolutely every scale I use for adventuring. So that I don't miss when I attack something with spells and so that my spells do more damage. Of course if you don't use the techs your chances of hitting will be significantly reduced. I have 6 scales with Dragon Breath V on them. That adds 150 to my DB skill. I miss on average 1 in 6 times when fighting mobs in the 80-100 range. My damage is somewhere in between Tempest and Blast and I suspect that when burning embers fires that I do more damage than a Blast though it's spread out over a longer period of time.

I still think that Lightning Breath should stun. Anything that's on a ten minute timer should be pretty spectacular.
    Actually I don't usually notice my breath missing very much. It seems to hit just fine most of the time even with no scales teched with dragonbreath tech. 8 of my scales are teched with tooth and claw, but only 2 of them have primal tech. None have power tech on them. Even with scales not at all optimized for spellcasting I still do more damage with blast than with dragonbreath.

I admit that I might actually put dragonbreath tech on my scales if dragonbreath was actually worth using. In my opinion its not worth wasting valuable tech slots on my scales on an ability on a 5 or 10 minute timer that is no better than a 30 second timer spell. For all intents and purposes lightning breath is simply a weaker version of firebreath - the dex/focus debuff is unnoticeable (Any mob attacking me always hits me 95% of the time whether or not I hit them with lightning breath, and the dispel debuff is useless against level 90-100 mobs)

I have met dragons who do have dragonbreath tech on their scales.... but they all seem to be helian dragons - probably because ice breath is actually worth using.

Anything on such a ridiculously longtimer should ALWAYSconnect when used.

105% chance to hit.

Then I might eventually decide to actually use the ability.

But as it is now, that "special" breath weapon is about as useful as Gold Shield.
    It just gives you a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikodemus
    Anything on such a ridiculously longtimer should ALWAYSconnect when used.

105% chance to hit.

Then I might eventually decide to actually use the ability.

But as it is now, that "special" breath weapon is about as useful as Gold Shield.
    It just gives you a headache.
    I think you mean 205% chance to hit. 105% chance to hit means you get a just a 5% attack bonus which probably wouldn't do much.

_______

I also think dragonbreath should be able to be fired at the ground even if there is no target locked.

On the miss factor, partially due to the breath accuracy quests not goin all the way up of course...but stick a tech or 2 of dragon breath on scales, i have dragon breath 5 on only 2 scales and i do see more hits than misses so i believe it does help.

tis my hope that a) those quests will go further in the future and b) we will get a broader variety of breath weapons somewhere down the line, each distinct to helian and lunus.

Blue....try landin the breath first then follow with AE's, next to no delay..begins the cast before u drop to all 4's. breath i save for fightin more than 1 mob otherwise i rarely use (but i try to fight 2 or 3 mobs as often as possible). yer hord does make a difference to how much damage yer doin with it... noticably when its close to full, regardless of what some might want u to believe.

Fireclaw...my preference is to use bof3 not ice normally, as a helian with 2 dragon breath techs. not that ive parsed data but it does feel like it hits more often than the ice breath on most mobs. and the accumulated damage in a fight from embers + bite adds up enough that it can make or break the battle.some just like to dodge the ice more than thefireforwhatever reason from what ive seen.

if lightning debuffs focus and dex as yer sayin...maybea change to debuffin str and armour would be more helpful for the lunus?
    Soaring the skies of Istaria every day.

Quote Originally Posted by R`aven_Sky`Dash

if lightning debuffs focus and dex as yer sayin...maybea change to debuffin str and armour would be more helpful for the lunus?
    A strength/armor debuff would be vastly more useful than the current dex/focus debuff.

Also made a ticket of this suggestion. Here is the response I got from Amon:

_____

Thanks for your feedback on this issue. I had read it when you posted it into the suggestions (or was it dragons) forum and it is a good suggestion. Not sure about the 15 second stun, but hey that can be modified. Thanks again for submitting it to us and we will likely review the breath weapons at some point in the near future. Have a great week!

Sincerely,

Amon Gwareth

Horizons Customer Support
    ______

[[:P][;)][:P][;)]

You all remember that chain lightning effect that can affect groups and cause quite some trouble? You know, the one you can catch on the Satyr islands. And that keeps going and going as long as the group stays close together.

Instead of a 15 second stun I'd like to see something like that being caused by the breath weapon :)

After all, its LIGHTNING Breath :)

gopher65

A 100% chance to hit = 0% chance of missing. You will hit every time.

105%of breath attack to hit means a 5% improvement.

Unless it is missing in the description, I dont believe Ice breath snares. From what I remember, it only has the +10 preweighted damage on it for a duration of 1 minute.
    Vesuvius Veix
    100/100 Dragon of Order with 26+ Million Hoard
    Officer of the Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    "Why am I cynical you ask? Because I have been given little to make me feel otherwise."

Thread Information