Thread: What to expect of HZ these days?

draxshared

Default What to expect of HZ these days?

Greetings fellow RPers.

The Background:
    I followed the creation of HZ with glee some 2 years back. I lost my internet connection just as the game got launched (to my deepest dispair). I later learned from dissapointed friends that the game was nothing like what they percieved was promised. I regained my internett connection a while ago, and I'm looking at MMORPGs again. Was seduced by the promised graphics of EQ2, but after reading it's forums soon discovered its true pointless nature. Graphics want help for that..! Found out WoW and Vanguard are EQ2 clones. Found out the nature of MMORPGs in general, which are sad.
    Found this very promising game called Wish, but it got cancelled.

The Now:
    I'm considering playing HZ despite the fact that all my friends have left and I even think I may be able to persuade one of them to return with me :)
    I have some concernes and some questions however, which I hope you may be willing to adress..? :)

The Meat:
    *Have you had any definite answer from the new owner about what their intensions are. I've read the news and realize you probably don't know any more than that. But if you do know more, would you tell me or show me where to find that info, please? :) Also, is the game growing at last, or is it dying out?

*Are there some documents describing the current state of the game, or close to it? There has been alot of changes since the game was launched. ..And from what I understand the game did not contain all the things at launch the devs had prevoiusly hoped for. I feel the need to analyse the mechanichs of the game (to know how much I will like it in the long run) before I get into it (the 7day trial just won't do :p). If there is no such document, would anyone care to describe how they see the strong points and the weak points of the game in the long and short run, please? :)

*Have the devs stopped all the story development, or are they still doing it? It's a very important point for me in a MMORPG that the game evolves (as opposed to remaining static). One of the biggest problems I see with MMORPGs is the pointlessness that reveals its precense once u reach the higher levels, because u realise u're just playing in a sandbox, and it won't matter in the least wether u're level 200 or level 2.
    I realise the devs have been buisy improving the game mechanics and so haven't really had time improving the story yet (which must have been a hard decision, but right nontheless). ..So I guess my real question is how long down the prosess of improving the game-mechanics to the level that the story can recieve its due, they have come..?

*Lastly, and the reason I'm putting this post in this sub-forum, some Shard spesific questions.. (obviously this is where I see myself playing :p)
    How many players can I expect playing with (as in present on the whole shard) at the different tims of day (spesify timezone please)..? Last report I read, the poor guy met none ingame. It would be sad to be alone in such a massive world for sure (espessially with those game mechanics - loot/crafting). (I'm from europe. Will this affect my chose of shard?)
    What do you need the most on this shard in terms of combat skills and crafting/foraging skills..? In such a game as this and with so small a playerbase, I belive I'll need to play what is mostly needed. No fun being a fighter if none can make swords or armour, or playing in a game with buildable houses without anyone to build them, right? :p

Regardless of the answers here, I'm gonna give HZ atleast the trial of a chance. ..And if I like it well enough (and it's not completely deserted) I'm planning on staying. (your answers would play a role in that as I need to figure out If it will be worth it in the long run.) Hope someone takes the time to answer my post though :)

Btw, I must say I'm impressed by those of you still sticking in there. And also by the devs of this game. I would take some determination to do that considering all u've been through (both groups). Devs: A determination beyond profits I have a hard time beliving any other MMORPGs have the benefit of. Die Hard fans: ..Well WOW, you really must love this game! :D

Dranar

Default Re: What to expect of HZ these days?

Well I'll take a stab at replying here, simply because I like to do that on occasion. As someone who is slowly becoming a little more pesimistic to it (I was one who really looked forwar to WISH) though I still have hopes for improvements as well, I'll tell it like I know it. :)

As for what Tulga has plans of, I have no the slightest clue. It could be anything from pumping new money in, new sales, new staff, and making the game take a 180 into growth, that would be great... or they could decide to just take all the equipment and use it for something new. I really don't know (But would love to know the answer to that).

The current state of the game? Well they have done the occasional e-mail out and had information as well, but overall nothing to difinitive of the current state and such. I know there are plans to add in a few new things, develop more buildings, allow Dragons to have lairs as well as the Ancient Rite of Passage. Overall there are still things to develop, a lot of things, and while the world is massive it often has a feeling of being kind of empty too. As for strong and weak points... Strong points are the Biped Multi-Classing system, it can take a moment to realize how it works but once you get the hang of it they can become very strong in time. Another thing is Dragons do look really good, but Dragons are also a weak point at current and really need some loving... The game has a wonderful User Interface, one of the best I've used, and is very customizeable... There are even map packs and other graphic sets you can put into the game that are nice improvements and useful as well. There is stated to be improvement to method of consigning items soon which should increase ability to find and buy and sell items, making the economy a little better. The crafting system, in my opinion, is good though can be a grind as well, overall crafting is a strength of the game. I don't hunt often enough myself to be a proper answer for the hunting system (Other than it works fine for me!). Also another strength, for Role-play and such (This IS order) is there are some channels out there of people dedicated to role-play so you can often find some as well as I find that a fair amount of people are willing to role-play in person as well (I know I always am that way).

As for Story Development, it has been some time. We did have a time where they were developing more, and there have been some specific events, such as the recent festival of tazoon, though lately there has not been any new aditions... But that doesn't mean it won't advance. It used to be a new story element added every two or three weeks and also plenty of quests to free new races. I don't know if/when HZ will return to a state like that (Which I rather liked them doing). So the presedence has been there.

As for times, well, I regularly talk to people when I play, but that is between 8pm eastern and 3am when I am playing usually. That is prime time hours for America. Sometimes I am on during days off (Which would be prime European hours) during the day and find the population definitely lower, but still existant. You will want to make sure to hang out though in at least a few of the chat tabs to find others or in some of the major cities to meet people as well. between 10pm eastern and 2am eastern seems to be the most populous times. As for the server, there seems to be a fairly wide mix right now, and most people play manyrolls. I regularly craft but I also occasionally fight when others invite me along. I'm a general jack of all trades with both my Biped and my dragon (Though that is what dragons do...).

Overall though I have hope of improvement. There are the occasional patches and new content but they are slow. I don't know if this is because they have many things in development they are working on right now, or because of just lack of staff to actually work on developing. I can't say for sure, though I am hoping perhaps someday soon they'll be releasing both Ancient status and Dragon Lairs and then the floodgates of content will reopen...

I can hope at least, aye? ::Grins:: Regardless I have no plans to leave HZ unless another, good, draconic playable game comes along to sweep me away, and that doesn't seem a long time coming.

~Allon

draxshared

Thank you ever so much for the reply Dranar, in was great! :)
    I'm sorry to hear the game remains in such a sad state still, but I still am going to try it out atleast, and if I don't find a better one I just might stay regardless. (there ain't many to choose from..) I'm still a huge fan of the consept, and I hope they will continue this project (and make it as great as it was destined to be)..!

I have been checking out both "Mourning" and "Dark and Light" since Wish's demise.

Mourning have an interesting twist on character building where the focus is as much on improving the family as the character one is currently playing. (there is permanent death, and then you may play the child.) It also implements most of the traits that have made other MMORPGs successful in the past. (or so they boast.) They will also have a story team of sorts, but I'm a bit in the dark about what their job will be still. I'm not fully convinced that this game is for me but I'm gonna check it out if I'm able.

Dark and Light have alot of impressive features. Enough of them to leave me with a sense of awe I have not felt since HZ was in development. They will have I live GM team roaming the lands. I'm not entierly sure what their job will be either though. They have a lot of promises to live up to, so only time will tell if they can amaze me as much with their finished product.. :p
    Since I'm gonna test HZ, I'm hoping I'll be able to see if any of those games truly will be better than HZ for me.

I really hope the HZ devs have been working on the big update that is apparently needed, and will suprise us by implementing it sometimes soon. They really have a good concept going here with the evolving story-quests and all. If only they could get it done and begin the game for real..! *sigh*

Thanks again for the huge reply Dranar! I really appritiate it.. :)

Dranar

You are welcome, and welcome to the game, I do hope you do stay, afterall that is a part that we can help in to help improve the world, by staying (And thus paying them) so they can continue developing.

To me, I am a large fan of dragons, and a recent IRC discussion situation seems to show some improvements, both expected and unexpected (but wanted) are on the slate now for which I am glad. :)

So, they are doing something out there in devland. :)

~Allon

draxshared

Ah..! Well that's something, for sure! Looking forward to check it out for myself. ..And knowing they are working on the game, at the very least removes one big incentive not to stay.. :)

Thread Information