Thread: Paypal Donation?

Default Paypal Donation?

Maybe it looks kind of honour-damaging or so but there are enough people out there that still want Horizons to develop thought don't play anymore for several reasons.
    I'd be willing to donate money if there is clearly said it is used to pay a dev for implementing pets for example.
    Put a kind of "x Dollars to go for month ..." at the page so people can see how much is necessary. I suppose it would not be too hard for such a strongly wished feature to get let's say 3000 Dollar or more per month in.

Horizons Empire

Default Re: Paypal Donation?

you can't ask for donations on a pay to play game. It would fall under open source legalities I believe.

You would become an investor no matter how small the investment and that requires an accounting system and personel that AE or Tulga Games most likely does not have.

Your best hope is that Mr Chris T. can find people with the experience and expertise to take the game forward.

Of course I could be wrong but I believe there are legal issues with a for profit company asking for donations. Maybe change the word donations from something else. Would probably be a legal way around it.

Sure you can. You can ask and/or take donations for anything from just about anybody. The only thing is the donor cannot write it off on his/her taxes if the recipient is not a properly-certified non-profit org or charity.

Open source legalities? What the hell is that?

You don't become an investor unless you are officially issued stock or stock-like collateral interest in the company, like a loan document. If you give a company money acknowledging in advance that you expect nothing in return, and they don't misrepresent giving you something in return, they can take it and do whatever they want with it. They still have to report it on their corporate taxes as income, however.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

If you really want to donate, why not just buy another subscription or three?

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw
    exactly

I suppose income is income regardless but I am pretty certain there are legal issues with a FOR PROFIT company asking for donations from the public.

Voluntarily donating with no solicitation is probably ok I'd imagine. Have you ever had a for profit corporation ask you for donations to improve their product ? I certainly never have. Maybe thats why it seems odd to me.

Well, there aren't any legal issues that I have ever been made aware of, even after being in business for 18 years.

The reason it doesn't happen has less to do with legalities than to do with image and the reality of the situation. If you have to solicit donations to support your product, then it says that a) your product is not good enough to stand on its own merits, b) you're not charging enough for it, or c) you're not managing your business well enough to stay competitive.

Beyond that, it is cheeky to solicit donations for a for-profit company. Just like it is cheeky to take unsolicited donations and not offer something in return, like investor collateral interest.

Besides, the government gives for-profit businesses "donations" all the time in the form of grants. Nothing illegal about them, either.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

I'd be happy to add another $12.95 a month, but only if it involved finally getting my fourth CD key activated.

[:D]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw
    That is easy to answer: I've payed a year and convinced my better half to do so too and the content/features we waited for were not put in. We are not willing to pay subscriptions as a general payment further as we have been told about priorities long and they have been pushed back. We are willing to donate for specific features to be implemented still - but not anymore for dragon, dungeon or highlevel content.

Horizons Empire

gopher65

You haven't been paying for dungeons I'll guarentee that. HZ has no dungeons, and can never have dungeons due to the server side part of the game not being complete.

Corelleon

I think it would bea good idea. Hell why not? People are making money via pay pal to get pl'd. AE might as well get some money too, at least they've earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    You haven't been paying for dungeons I'll guarentee that. HZ has no dungeons, and can never have dungeons due to the server side part of the game not being complete.
    I'm not claiming we have paid for dungeons, I'm just saying if we go back to pay for something concerning Horizons next half or whole year, we are only willing to do so for specific things we want in. Call it a specific voting with your wallet. We want Horizons to be successful but so far it has failed unfortunatelly to have what we waited for it to have as game features. And we would be willing to go on paying even without us playing anymore as right now - but only if it is used for a certain feature.

Horizons Empire

Thread Information