Thread: On Unity: can't login due getting stuck at "Receiving Character Initial Position"

Default On Unity: can't login due getting stuck at "Receiving Character Initial Position"

So this is really annoying and angering me for over a week now.

As stated i can't login my main-char (Hagen_ice on Unity-server), as everytime i get a total hang. Funny thing is - i have no problems at all, logging in with any of my alts.[:|]

Ok, so here is my story:

1) After first appearance of this bug i somehow remembered of an old post on tazoon about a similar issue and i deleted the first two files (ClientPrefs_...) in my "Prefs"-folder.
    Effect -> i could log in again a few times, only had to renew some settings.

2) Then, suddenly, this was not enough, i only could log in by deleting ALL of the files in my "Prefs"-folder once, aswell as the little *.def-file in horizons main-folder..
    Effect -> i could log in again, had to renew ALL settings and even hotkeys. [:(]
    But after that, doing as in step 1) helped to let me get in again.

3) Well it got worse, yesterday nothing of the above helped and i had to take the advice of some1 who asked Luca in IRC about this. So i:
    - Deleted the cache and cookies of IE both under "settings" and even manually to be sure
    - Renamed the char-folder of my main "Unity_Hagen_ice" into something different
    - Cleared world-cache
    - Did all the things as in step 1) and step 2)
    Effect -> Could log in again. Then did as stated, i ended the game, renamed my char-folder into origin and all was fine, i could play.

4) BUT TODAY I DID ALL THE THINGS FROM STEP 3) AND COULD NOT LOG IN THOUGH !!! [8o|]

So what is happening here? I used to be kind of a "fanboi" for HZ, but with this issue i really get more and more P*****!

I just paid for a 3-month-period and get THIS for reward? Please, Dev's, stop all the work and get this issue fixed or i'll .... i'll ..... *thinks of something REALLY bad* ...

hulabaloo

Default Re: On Unity: can't login due getting stuck at "Receiving Character Initial Position"

Hagen I know exactly what you mean. I too cannot login and have finally exhausted every means as far as I know. To put you in the picture my latest effort went further even than your attempts and I only tried this after trying everything other people have suggested.

I removed and re-installed Horizons completely and restored the Horizons folder from a December backup, removed all files named in your post before doing full scan and d/loading a 49.4Mb patch. Results? ..loading character initial position..

I have raised a ticket too.

I started getting the problem recently when changing to Berzerker school in Mahagra, game locks up and so on.. It usually sufficed to clear cache remove .defs etc to be able to reload. I don't know whether something different happened today but all I can say is I made the nigh-fatal error of staying in Berzerker school overnight, having logged out 'gracefully'.. don't know whether this is related or not but DEVS you gotta pay attention to this problem real fast. It's bad enough people leaving as they have had enough, to drive away people who still want to play will be quite a feat indeed.

Kasira

Default Re: On Unity: can't login due getting stuck at "Receiving Character Initial Position"

Oh My, guys you sound like me but i was fine till i went to the elemental archer and changed my class back to go fight and get lots cash and bang it crashed on the screen of changing class and message from him so had to reset my pc and now i cannot logg in for 6 hrs ... i have a old level 2 char i never played and she loggs in fine .
    But this is certainly a bugg when you cant change class without crashing and not being able to logg back in .

All you people i know how hard it is i have put in letters2 times and no answer.
    Ihave had nothing but problems since the patch and cannot logg in most the time sometimes i can and play a few days then i get a crash from game and cant logg in for another 2 days its becomeing a pain in the head?
    Also the lagg is horrid aug kion i cant port more than once without going down to 1fps and stays at 6 fps.

I will quit end my 3 months i cant play like this anymore

Kasira

gopher65

I've never had this problem:(. Must be a Unity only thing (although I can't see why that would be).

kags

this doesn't affect all on Unity as I change Adv schools often and I have never had a problem. Good job really as I would have no idea how to sort it [:$]

I have both posted and opened threads on this same matter and quiet frankly am at my witts end now [:^)] Still having multiple crashes/screen freeze or simply cant get in at all (only with main char) [:S] Have sent replies to GN etc. and reply has been to follow same monotinous series of steps before logging in, which has done little if anything to improve the situation [:@]
    This has been happening to several people since the last patch, not only that but I also know of another player whos main char was totally 'lost' from Istaria as if never existed *just a myth* [:O] He did manage to recover but for this to happen is scary[^o)]

I will say this tho support have answered my tickets and are making an effort to resolve this situation *guess they will be happy to get me to stop ranting*[:P] Hope all gets sorted soon for all concerned.[H]

Well, to all of the Affected, i have a little "Heads up" here ...

After given the information by Vahrokh, that Luca has told him in IRC that it is supposed to be a bug in the client, messing up the "Pref"-Files after every logout, i did the following:

I deleted ALL the files as stated in the post above, IE-cache, worldcache, ClientPref.def in the HZ main-folder and even the folder of my main "Unity_Hagen_ice".After that i was able to log in, but had lost all my settings and hotkeys (This got me into game before, but since loosing all my settings and hotkeys i refused to take it the only way of getting back in game)

Instantly i started re-organizing all settings, windows and most hotkeys.

With HZ still running, i swapped to file-manager and copied the new *.def-files from my main's folder (Unity_Hagen_ice in my case) to a safe place. (Had to be patient though, as HZ still was taking all the CPU-power it could get)

After next logout, i took the files from the "safe place" and copied them into my main's folder (remember, Unity_Hagen_ice in my case?). Tried relog with heart beating and ....

SUCCESS! :)

No probs at login, kept all settings and was content. So until client-patch i consider this my way of getting back into game and "Live happily ever after" ... ;)

Disclaimer: I am far from saying that this works for everyone and everytime. I succeeded once with this method, so be prepared to fail though ...

Well, now my head is down again. From 5 tries in the above descripted way it worked 2 times. So it still seems to be random in a way and my "workaround" does not work. :/

Kasira

Hey Hagen i know i messaged you yesterday with my alt and again today i got booted and cant logg in, it seems to be thatyou do this and that then it works, then you crash bang boom lots lagg and your stuck again in game cant logg in i dont know but its really annoying resetting my pc locking up so many times a day .
    Least i know i aint the only one in this situation i have sent tickets but they dont seem to bother to reply to me :(

Oh well keep trying to logg back cya in game if you have luck

Kasira

leir

Hi there, i'm on Unity too, and having the very same problem with my main... Loading screen blocked on "Receving Character Initial Position".

Didn't find a way to solve the problem, but there are two things i made for making it a bit better.

1) Disable Loading Screen. Open the file AE/Horizons/Prefs/Unity_characname/ClientPrefs_Main.def
    Then find "bool useloadingscreen = true" and write "bool useloadingscreen = false"

Do the same for the file
    AE/Horizons/Prefs/Local/ClientPrefs_Main.def
    to be sure that the loading screen will be desactivated, that will help a bit (so i think).

2) Disable the fullscreen mode from outside the game, it will allow you to make a Ctrl+Alt+Del if the game freeze, without rebooting computer (i cannot use Ctrl+Alt+Del in full screen mode, doesn't work). Open the file
    AE/Horizons/Prefs/ClientPrefs_Graphic.def
    Then find "bool fullscreen = true" and write "bool fullscreen = false"

I hope these tips will help you. I wrote to the support, they told me they knew some players had this problem, and that the devs are actually working on it.

Cya ingame

Thalak

Feel your pain, blew I don't know how many hours over the weekend trying to get the game to load. Is there any rhyme or reason to it, really? Blowing away the game, repatching, and trying again was a total waste of time. The crashing in game when switching to a school that is already lvl 100 crashed me every single time. Why after over a year after the retail launch are we still battling the game just to login?

heg0b00

Hi there,

My girlfriend is having the same problems , we have two pc's at home and each of us has an account.

When she tries to log in at her pc with her character , it refuses to load and the loading screen freeze's up at the "receiving character initial position"

When she tries to log in on her pc , with my account everything works fine.

I then tried to load the game with her account and character on MY pc and the funny thing is , it doesnt work either.

So based on this , i dont think its related to files on your pc but its server related :(

I posted it to tech support , but till now no responce :(

Tried 2 times now to login.. and didnt work.. :((

Had some problems about a week ago.. but got in on the 3 or 4th try..
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Just to keep it updated:

I still have big problems loggin in. In the past days i tried without deleting stuff and was randomly able to get past the "RCIP"-Loadingscreen. But most often i have to delete all that stuff (Worldcache, aswell as most *.def-files in my Pref-folder).

Well, at least i was able to get it done, so i keep my hotkeys and mapmarkers.

*SIGH* When will this be fixed? [:S]

Melianteas

I have the same problem.

But I dont bother clening files, deleting refs, etc as I see it has the same resoult as try to login again and again until it works.

You _still_ have those login-problems?

Then you should really worry. The patch from last week solved those issue to me - and all others, as a new client was made. Really strange ....[:|]

Melianteas

mmmm before the patch I didnt have those problems... all began after the patch. now Im going to began to worry.

I too have these problems:

After last week's patch they returned, had been gone a while cus i used a different launcher. After last week's patch i failed with the different launcher as well.. not all the time, pretty random, but still irritating... Is one reason why i use my alt a lot now....

Thread Information