Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up with all the disconnects??

Flin

Default Re: What's up with all the disconnects??

I also have started having Link Dropped problems. Never had any before, now all of a suden I am mining Mithril near Wolf's Paw and get 3 Link Drops in 20 minutes.. I just shut the machine down and headed to work on the last one, hope my Mithril bars will still be in the silo when I get back on tonight.

>>>When in reality it is a combination of both. In that the client asks a lot of your machine if you aren't at least double the recomended specifications.

<<<<

I believe that it is thier ISP. Any claim that it is the client is utter BS. I have a brand new 3.4 GHz CPU on a Gigabyte motherboard with the new 975 chipset. 1 Gig of Corsair DDR2 Ram and a 256 MB Geforce PCIE card. Needless to say I got the best of everything and spared no expense.

I also have been getting disconnects. not as many as enlil, but I notice when someone drops, its not long before others follow. That can only mean a couple of things. Either their servers are dropping processes, or their ISP are dropping connections. I didnt have the problem until their ISP did their maintenance.

Leviathan (formerly known as "Skald")
    100 ADV / 100 DCRA / 95 LSH Ancient Lunus Dragon (Order Shard)
    67 million Hoard...and rising!

"I kill where I wish and none dare resist...my armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" - Smaug the Mighty

At least you all can connect.. I just lost my cable modem.. have you tried to connect to HZ with a cell phone?!! [:'(]
    AKA Maguai, PogoWolf (Chaos)
    www.PogoWolf.com / www.GamersVue.com
    [/RIGHT]

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan
    >>>When in reality it is a combination of both. In that the client asks a lot of your machine if you aren't at least double the recomended specifications.

<<<<

I believe that it is thier ISP. Any claim that it is the client is utter BS. I have a brand new 3.4 GHz CPU on a Gigabyte motherboard with the new 975 chipset. 1 Gig of Corsair DDR2 Ram and a 256 MB Geforce PCIE card. Needless to say I got the best of everything and spared no expense.

I also have been getting disconnects. not as many as enlil, but I notice when someone drops, its not long before others follow. That can only mean a couple of things. Either their servers are dropping processes, or their ISP are dropping connections. I didnt have the problem until their ISP did their maintenance.
    yes but I was being politically correct for this place ;) .

People around here do not like it when you point out that Neon pink purple polkadotted elephant that has been occupying Horizons living room since release :P .

I am not having this problem with my main character / system, but I am having it on my alt characters / system.

Basically, it acts like the old "blocking queue" problem I had ages ago. I log in, and if I don't move around immediately, and keep moving around for 5-10 minutes, I lose connection.

It is really obvious when I open the vault. The vault sits there, trying to load for several minutes, then, I turn or move slightly (or do anything that sends traffic back to the server), and I get a chunk of items, then it pauses again for up to minutes at a time. However, if I move again, I get another chunk of items, etc. As long as I keep doing something that sends activity traffic to the server, I stay connected, and my vault will continue to load. However, if I stop moving, I get no more traffic from the server, and sometimes, my connection will time out.

Also, it appears the latest patch has stuffed something in the disconnection code, as people are getting hard-locks when the disconnect warning is supposed to be showing up. I had this happen on that same system with one of my alts. Locked up 3-4 times in a row shortly after logging in, while standing still looking at my inventory.

Basically, the client needs to shut down the graphics window and subsystem before reporting the errors. In the past, the graphics would "freeze", and the pop-up "Transport Error" confirmation box would be behind the frozen graphics window. I could alt-tab to it and close it at least, then the graphics window would shut down. Yes, this is in Full-screen mode.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliding Frost
    Weird thing is, more and more people are having disconnect problems but this last month is the most stable Hz has played on my machine. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img]

I'm, on average, dropping once in every 12 or so hours of game play now and the drop is linked to my ISP.
    I'm still not dropping at all, not even my once every 12 hrs. On DSL with via Verizon...

On the otherhand the drop periods seem to be getting worse. Late Tuesday night/early Wednesday was horrible and we had a bad patch of timeWednesday evening too. Having a conversation about lore with another dragon and she's dropping every 2 sentences or so...as are another 40 or 50 people (at least) given what my chat channels were doing.

As for the logs Illyist..do you want logs from people who aren't dropping or just those that are having trouble?
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

I am getting all kinds of weird things happening to my machine now.
    At first I was dropping about every hour or less.
    I put up with it but now I just got a blue screen crash.
    Windows - delayed write failed
    Says Windows was unable to save all the data for the file\dev\harddriskVolume1\Program Files\Artifact Entertainment\horizons\Resources\characters\human_ f\anim.
    The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or a network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
    Also a popup window memory error.
    Iv said all along their ISP sucked! theresa hop in their route that takes 92ms.
    Thats longer than it takes me to get a packet from EU.
    At one time I counted a full 3 second delay between my computers on DSL.
    Thats make char 1 jump chatacter 2 sees character 1 jump 3 seconds later.
    Lately its about 1 1/2 to 2 seconds.
    I just bought 2 new SATA drives, andset themup as a striped raid partition on my windows 2K Pro
    Was working great for a while pretty much never need to defrag a striped set.
    Now Im thinking I wasted my money as it was all justthe freaking ISP droping DATA.
    I did a chkdsk and came up clean.

Dale,
    I hate to tell you this, but that's a system error.. not an HZ error.. =(
    try this, to see if it helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330174
    AKA Maguai, PogoWolf (Chaos)
    www.PogoWolf.com / www.GamersVue.com
    [/RIGHT]

Well Seems like Something corrupted the horizons.exe file.
    It was probably trying to write protected memory.[8o|]
    I found out some things about raid I didnt know before.[co]
    I have reinstalled my original drive as my OS and made my raid drives a second volume.
    The Page file is now on a seperate disk than Horizons and I should get better preformance from my raid set.
    Man It sure is nice after a new install.[:D]
    Anyway I did a backup of the Horizons directory to my c drive and when Iwant it straightened out Ill do a restore.
    Ill have to make sure I back up occasionally so I dont loose my UI.
    This game is very disk write intensive and hopefully this will make it a bit more mangeable.[C]
    The bummer about crashing isif I have saved anycrafting filters they getlost unless I log normally.
    I wonder if its the challenge of trying to make this game work that keeps me coming back or am I just a sadist.[8o|]
    Its definetly forced me to become a better gamer :) [D]If I can afford to pay for the subs now.
    [:'(]

actually you would be a masochist, ae would be the sadist.

Staff :: Developer

Hey everyone, sorry to hear about so many troubles. Thanks to Jaraiden for sending in logs! (And no, I don't need logs from people who are not seeing the problem, but thanks for asking ;) )

We've found that the client was causing lock ups which would in turn cause you to time out, and get dropped. We've got a new client patched out as of Feb. 7 that should fix this issue. I'm sure there will still be some disconnects, but they won't be caused by this part of the client anymore, and they should no longer be frequent.

If you are still seeing frequent disconnects, or if you have them in the future, please let us know and send in logs.

~Illyist
    ~Aru

Thread Information