Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A brief introduction

Default A brief introduction

Greetings everyone [H]

Recently we lost a forum moderator. The empire has dispatched myself to take over the role. I hope I can serve you all as well as Demelza did [:)]

You're all a good bunch, most of the time I see nothing but constructive posts here, or maybe Demelza just did a good job of sorting out the trouble-makers [:P] If you've ever got a problem with a poster in this forum, feel free to send me a PM. If it's a specific post that has you concerned, use the 'report' button in the lower-right of the post, I'll get right on it.

There's something that I wanted to ask for your feedback on. Quite a lot of posts here in the main Unity forum that should really be in the Community sub-forum. Now I'm not going to demand that all community project posts get moved there, but I'd like to know what you all think of it. Should we leave the community project posts here in the main forum, and move them to the Community sub-forum when they're over? Would you object if I moved them to the sub-forum after a couple of days so people notice them first? Maybe you'd rather that they were in the right forum in the first place? Let me know what you think.

Well that's me for now. Happy gaming fellow Unity players!

Default Re: A brief introduction

I think its much better to have the community posts here, wich makes them easy to see. I allways forgot to check the Community forum so for me you can take it away really and move the threads to main.
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

I must admit i agree with Vanaondo; I usually do not check the sub forums either, is more work then just working through a single, long list....

Well since no-one else has said it so far, let me be the first to say hi [:D]

Personally I think forums are there for a reason, and if a post belongs there then that's where it should be. Having said that, your idea about giving a post a few days of 'limelight' in this main forum before moving it sounds like a good compromise.

Good luck with the job, you can bet you won't get any trouble from me [:P]

Welcome to the madhouse. [;)]

And about the posts, I think it'd be best to leave them here. If you look around this place, you'll notice that very few people use any of the sub-forums (Istarian Life > Dragons is a very good example). Some might not even be entirely aware of their existence.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

3-1 to us so far *grins*

And the interesting game continues and the judge is blowing in his wistle at the middle white line and....
    Vanaondo

Me personally never look in market or community sub forum.

I am fine with the way it is to be honest

Thanks for the greetings [:)]

Posts will be moved to their appropriate location, however I will give community projects a bit of leeway. They can sit here for a day or two to be noticed before I move them. Ideally I'd rather if you save me the trouble by posting them in the right place to start with [;)] I have already started moving the completed community event posts to their appropriate sub-forum.

Everyone is good at using the market sub-forum, and back on Tazoon.com we were all good at using the community sub-forum. Won't be long before you all take it in your stride to check the latest posts in both of them here!

Keep up the Unity spirit!

I have little hard to see why you asked the question then but best is to remove the Community forum orlock it.
    Vanaondo

Greetings Entilzah

Wish you good luck here on forum [Y]
    Keep peace here.

greetings

stepping demelzas ways and claws will not be easy but be welcome

and for the rest lets see what happens

greetings dunkel and family
    dunkel_ice helian 100 100 5,5 mio hoard
    dunkelzahnjr helian 80 42 280 k
    Hrdunkelzahn helian 80 41 280 k
    now all adult

People are LAZY.

They will not post in a subforum but in the main forum if it saves them a click on a link.

People really are LAZY :)

I understand the subforum is there for these things but yeah just like vana mentioned why ask if you are already going to.

I do understand you wanna keep the whole thing neat and such thou.

Ah well. Good luck on your job.

Hello Entilzah, also a welcome from me [:)]

I would like you, and in fact áll the moderators and forum-makers,to concider a few facts and feelings....

Facts:

- Fact: forums that get too hussly-bussly, get too much traffic to enable a visitor to easily take in the content, must be subdivided into categories to once again become 'overseeable', clear. Balance must be found here, becausefact is also that subdividing a forum befóre it gets too large to be easily overseen is essentiallya sure recipe to makea livingboard intoa dead board.

- Fact: These are the official 'Horizons-forums'. That would or should mean, in my opinion at least, that it is equally meant for all horizons-players.

- Fact: The leading forum of these boards isjust about the only forum where representatives from the company that made and develops this game sometimes (by far not enough) let themselves be seen, give comments, sometimes ask the players for their opinions on things, give feedback. On far more rare occasions they have been seen tobe active ina few other forums. On NO occasion that I can remember have any AE-representatives ever been caught on visiting and reading the unity-forums; let alone be active on those forums. On very rare occasionsone GN-representative might be visiting the unity-forums; on even móre rare occasions this one representative has even been seen to be áctive in this forum. Note, that GN only covers a very small part of the whole gameplay, most parts can not be answered about or actively handled by GN, but are the sole territory of AE (/Tulga).

- Fact: Daily practice is: Players fromboth NA-shards may post in the official horizons general andleading forum about any matters they are concerned about, be it game- or shard-related. Players from Europe (and dragons)however may only post in this leading forum about matters that are game-related, and as long as theyare careful enough to nót mention that they are from europe (or a dragon) when making a topic themselves there; and as long as the leading post of this new topic does nót concern in any way anything that has to dó with their respective 'being' (european, and/or dragon being). Where the above dóes happen they will be immediately singled out and sent to sub-sub-forums named unity or dragon.

Feelings :

- The number of daily posts on the total of these boards warrants serious thought by the forum-makers on bringing together ALL main, sub- and sub-sub-forums into one single forum based on these postnumbers alone.Once made sub-divisions had a reason (or should have had); if the reason is not there any more, sub-divisions should be taken away again; what we see however is that moderators try to 'fill in' the sub-divisions that were once made but may not, or nolonger, be necessary or wanted for the sole reason 'that they are there'...

- There is an un-balance betweenhow native two-legged NA-players on the one hand and both two-legged european and all more-legged players on the other hand may use these boards. This leads to the feeling of being treated in an unfair way; no, I dare to say this is not just a feeling but plain every-day fáct.

- Though feeling sad and bad about being sent away from the one place where we could hope on some attention from the makers/developers of this game, ánd while being kept from forming one Istaria worldwide by the sub-divisions NA/non-NA and NA-two-legged/all more-legged: here we are, we went to the place they sent us.
    Little group, little number of posts, even less new topics.Daily average are 4 or 5 topics that get any posts at all. Yes, 4 or 5. TOTAL. Now come ón, you can't be serious that thát should be even further divided into fúrther sub-sub-sub-forums: thereby making even a rift, a further division among this small group that is left here. A group that is actively TRYING to keep the european part of Horizons alive; that is TRYING toget what is left of the old community and what may be entering new together to fórm a community again.

Conclusions:

We nééd to be in easy reach of each other to keep Horizons alive and kicking; or to gét it that way again.

We nééd áll players in this sub-sub-part as it allready sadly is to get to know and keep in touch with each others thoughts, feelings, idea's, plans in an as easy as póssible way!

We dón't need ány even further sub-sub-sub-division among ourselves. Though forums are not the sáme as the game-world of Istaria, they dó function in a similar way. Make bonds and mutual understanding, make active helping each other to help keep alive Istaria, wéll possible on these boards, and you will see things happening in that respect and along those lines within the game. Make it so that actions on the boards are not worth-while, are lost to the eye of who needs to see them, and you will also see thát reflected within the Istaria we know ingame.

Ties to a game are not only, but certainly álso and maybe even foremost made by, and following actions within, forums of that game; but to máke ties we need to see and hear each other within those forums. We NEED to be TOGETHER right up to the moment that we get só active and só large that sub-division is technically nécessary to keep things going. Until that point is reached,STAY WELL CLEAR OF HACKINGinto that 'togetherness' - any hacking befóre that point leads to frustration, feelings of unfairness, lethargy, and ultimate death of the board-community or meaningfull parts of it...wÃ**th repurcussions accordingly within the game-community. And so what may seem 'a small technicality' within these boards, can have grave consequences to the game we all want to keep on playing. Moderators, be aware of that!!! If anything, bring us further together. DON'T divide us where dividing is not warranted, wanted, or wise !!!

Entilzah: please reconsider your own part in this.... while understanding you of course want to 'have something to do' on your new job, making it understandable you have let your eyes and thoughts stray to the possibility of singling out posts and moving them elsewhere - this understanding does not make it a wanted, warranted or wise thing to do. You are now hacking apart where instead, as far as I can see,uniting further wóuld be warranted, wanted and wise... and so I would like to ask you to make the latter your goal rather then the former. Main forum IS IN ITSELF the community-forum; making a sub-division into among others a community-sub-forum is in itself in my opinion a very bad idea; but most certainly a dángerous thing to do where you have such a small and struggling yet still surviving community as you have here...
    We can see some revival and new gust getting into the players in these past weeks, after a deep fall into uncertainty, frustration and lethargy earlier; please please please HELP to get this 'getting to our feet again' to succeed; don't instead do things tofrustráte these very much wanted and needed attempts ... Do what has to be done: and at least eradicate, close the communuty-sub-sub-sub-forum! [:D]

Galilee, thankyou for your welcome [:)] I respect the fact you have taken some time to present your own opinions here in a rather detailed post. The issue remains however, that the Unity forum is by far the busiest of any of the specific shard forums, and for that reason alone it is best that we utilise the functionality we have available to us.

If we did away with the sub-forums, can you imagine how much more cluttered it would be if all the market related posts were in here too? Back on Tazoon.com we always knew that any community events, official or player-made, could be found in the community sub-forum for our specific shards. Same applied to market related posts.

I will do my best to ensure that things don't get too cluttered. I am giving a bit of leeway on community event posts by allowing them some limelight here in the main forum for a day or two, however it would be better for all if people posted in the right place to begin with. This may not be desirable to you or to some others, however if the guys and gals on Chaos and Order can use the sub-forums, then we can too!

I am not saying that it is necessarily desirable. I am simply saying that those forums are the place to go for specific types of posts, namely event and market related topics. I don't make the rules, nor do I decide the layout of the forums.

Thankyou again for your comments. I am just doing a job, I don't want to step on toes but then again I need not step on toes if people use the appropriate forums to begin with [;)]

I am saddened by your answer. As will be all the posters to your initial question. But you are the moderator here, not I or others; so I guess we will have to accept your answer (for now anyway[A])

<grrr - wasted my time - grr - learn galilee to not do that! (slaps writing-paw)[W]>

Lol don't look on it as a waste of time [;)] When I posed my initial question, I offered up three options. Leave the posts here till the event is over (not always practical if they're recurring events), leave the posts here for a couple of days to allow them initial recognition before moving them, or move them directly to the right location without hesitation. I didn't expect a few people to suggest a fourth option, to leave the posts here and delete the sub-forums!

I guess I better remind everyone that if you ever have a problem with how the forums are moderated then feel free to take it up with Dangit. Feedback relating to how the forums are structured is also beneficial, and won't be ignored [:)]

Wouldn't it be an idea to let us post in the main and then when the post isn't replied on decide to move it into the subforum.

I have set some Craft Events and ever since you moved it i haven't seen any reactions to it while there were some reactions before.

We have been working so hard to keep events in our community so please think about this and don't make it harder for us.

How many people do you think take the effort to look in community or market of the already small group that replies on the forum.

There are already so many people in game that aren't even registered.

Hello Entilzah,about the event i'm making , the SIWC (Survive in the Wild Championship) , you could move that topic after i announce the winners and i will mention that this topic is gonna be moved on the community stuff, ok ? This way we could see all the topics with SIWC that are due to take place . good luck ;)

P.S. in my opinion, if this kind of events will be made on a larger scale, let's say about 4 events for diferent ranges of levels, then we would have at least 4 * at least 2 edition that's 8 topics , which is rather nasty ... also i belive that having the SIWC on a range of 40-50 only on one topic would be bad becouse someone might not want to organise such thing, and we wouldn't know if that next edition will take place (if we have enough high players to help us, etc)

The new events on the main area so everyone knows if that event is due to take place and the ones that took place long ago somewhere else .... somewhere to be stored , not neccesarily community sub-forum .
    Proud member of Angelic Protectors
    66 wizard / 36 mage / 21 healer / 20 cleric
    44 mason / 26 spellcrafter / 11 scholar

Quest Team member click here
    Horizons IRC chat

Quote Originally Posted by Nikodemus
    People are LAZY.

They will not post in a subforum but in the main forum if it saves them a click on a link.

People really are LAZY [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    Its not about us beeing lazy, thecreatures of the big common community projects and threads here. Its more about beeing able to reach so many players as possible with information and then we can start to wonder what the purpose with main forum is really???

Its a shame so few visits this forum at all and all rantnings and negativity that was here some monthes ago, sure "scared" some away or they get tired of reading the junk wich I was for sure. Well Im not up for a debate though around this subject as whining can be constructive but rantings is nothing but deconstructive.

Vanaondo

Thread Information