Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Patcher to test

Staff :: Developer

Default New Patcher to test

GreetingsBlight!

We've been working on a new patcher here that we'd like some more feedback on. If you'd like to use this new patcher you can log onto Blight, Order, or Chaos by using a different web page to log in: https://68.142.64.215/default.aspx

You can go back to the regular patcher at anytime by using the regular login page. I haven't had any problems with it myself, so if you'd like to try it and see what you think of it we'd appreciate it.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Default Re: New Patcher to test

When we use this what are we looking for in particular? As in what is it designed to do better? I never really had any problems with the old one (other than it being web based) so I'm not sure what I could look for. Other than that nothing explodes when I try to log in.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Just looking for more cases of "it didn't blow up on me" on different systems:)

Mainly this patcher allows us to usean FTP server, it uses some multi-threading magic so it should be faster than the old one, and it's a little prettier. This is the patcher that absolutely requires dotNET framework installed on your computer (we announced that dotNET was going to be required quite a while ago for this).

Thanks for trying it and providing feedback!
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Here's a little more info:

>> When we use this what are we looking for in particular?
    Does it work

>>As in what is it designed to do better?
    Better performance and is a very big step towards a stand alone launcher

>> I never really had any problems with the old one (other than it being web based) so I'm not sure what I could look for.
    It had trouble with low speed or high latency connections. The new should not. It also self diagnoses if it failed to install and provide help on what to do to resolve.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Tala_Mirth

Set up a new shortcut on my desktop to test this with.
    Will try to give some feedback tonight or tomorrow.

Hmmm a worthy cause.

Worthy enough to start logging in through the webpage again [:P]

We'll see how it goes.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Hordolin Awanagin

As discussed yesterday, I had issues.

It was adding every file to the queue. I let it run all the way through the queue buildup and ended up with 1.5 gig to download. hit the x to close it, restarted it and it just scanned the list and went right in. Next session however, it rolled through again and was adding every file to the queue.

Tala_Mirth

Getting a "Security Alert" that the certificate doesn't match the site. Assume that will be fixed by the time this goes "live".

Due to the use of Active-X, I still can't log in using Firefox.[:'(]

I like the look of the new patcher. [Y]

Only logged in once this way, so far. It did download a ton of data the first time, will post on successive logins after this weekend.

So far, it hasn't blown up on my Pentium 4, running XP, over Cable, through a older model Netgear Router. [;)]

Tala_Mirth

Spoke too soon.
    Ran into the same problem as Hordo.
    Seems to do a full check of files on everylogin for me.

Tala_Mirth

Yet another update.
    New problem.
    From the site, the patcher would load, dowload file lists, then exit before I could read the message it gives.
    Weant into Horizons folder and it apparently didn't run long enough to start the debug logs.
    I then, weant into the launcher folder and ran SilentPatcher. exe straight from the drive and it logged Tala in with no errors. Still downloaded the file lists but didn't try to download any other files or give any errors.
    Will mess around with it a bit more today and post any updates on my tests here.

I'd really like to thank you guys that have taken a look at this for us. Here's an update from Friday:
    "The exsessive file download problem was caused by an error in the checksum routine that basically returned a binary NOT of the checksum, instead of the checksum. I fixed that on Friday, so you shouldn't have that problem anymore."

~Illyist
    ~Aru

Hordolin Awanagin

I'll give it another poke this evening.

I like this patcher much more than the original one.
    Makes it easy to work with batch files.

Only one problem: when scanning for updates, my cpu load goes up to around 70-80%. makes doing anything else very sluggish.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far!

We'll be bringing the test web site down periodically during the next few days for updates and changes. These outages will occur at any time, and without warning.

Just wanted to let you know in case you're still trying this version of the new patcher.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Rilramar

I find that the patcher does as refered to above completely take over system while scanning and I did not get any improved speed even on a cable connnection. Will keep trying it though and see if it has anything to do with system usage, anything else open or other settings.

one small thing, for me the graphic on the patcher is offset so that the shape of the image is almost as a shadow behind the graphic. This offset is about umm 1/4 inch downward will try to get a screenshot to show and see if it is just me noticing such a small cosmetic thing =)

Edit to add image and to say getting this image locked up system pretty well heh it just doesnt like even something like paint open at the same time

Am running it atm I say the same graphic ugliness as mentioned above and 95% cpu usage on my dual p4 3.2 HT
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

So if you guys that have the graphic problem mentioned in the two posts above could let me know what kind of video card you have I'll start there. I'm wondering if that's an ATI card specifically.

There is a new patcher up that allows one to choose the multi thread or a single thread patch from the web site... choosing the single thread should not use as much processor power for those that don't like the system performance when the faster multi threaded patch is running. The multi thread is supposed to be faster.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Rilramar

using a GeForce FX 5200 128MB with latest drivers on Win2k system
    AMD 1.2 ( I know so old already [:'(])
    512MB sys memory
    screen Res 1280 x 960

new multi threading on/off option has made quite the improvement on system slow down..still slow but I was at least able to pull up notepad and meander to a directory on system while running scan

really latest drivers now..71.80 of course not supported anywhere yet as are beta but wanted to try them out.. havent tested in game yet but for this point the graphics glitch listed above still existing

I'm using a Geforce FX 5950 Ultra 256mb

P4 3.2 GHz HT
    1 GB System Mem 2gb PF
    Dual monitors at 1280x960 (using DualView)
    Windows 2000

I didn't experience the slow down with the multithreaded option but it was still chewing the cpu.

I am running the 61.77 drivers attempting to work out an on going crash issue with hz
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Hordolin Awanagin

Just a FYI regarding the speed of the multi/non multithread option.

On a 1.1 ghz Athalon, 1GB mem, Radeon 7500, XP Home. the non multithread runs at about twice the speed of the multithread. Once I get my motherboard back *weeps and shakes uncontrollably in a corner* I'll test with a better configuration.

Thread Information