Thread: Single Use Scrolls

Default Single Use Scrolls

This is prolly biting off other game ideas but I think it would be cool to have scrolls in game...

Scrolls would be loot only and they would be rare drops.. that come off undead mobs or possiblysome ogres and skulk... but NOT bugs...

They can only be used once... and there should be many varieties of scrolls... Have some scrolls such as a full group instant heal.... or a full instant heal,...some debuff scrolls and some buff scrolls... and the extremely rare Epic scrolls... one single use and you can cast an epic spell like breathe of Kaa...etc..

Just an idea.. but you get the picture.. its more loot and its singleusage wont harm the economy...there could be so many different possible varieties....

oh and plz give them animations when used...

What do you guys think?
    Frons Von Frik - Order

Default Re: Single Use Scrolls

Scrolls is a great idea [:)]

Just amazed at how long it has taken to have some kind of loot at all, like the blighted eq for ex.

100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Yeah. I totaly agree with both of u. Would be nice to see some new loot ingame :)
    Ular Naga

Proud "Handy Man" of the -Dark Saga-
    Unity Shard

"First i followed the light then the blight, but suddenly nature showed me the path to walk"

I agree. Single use scrolls would be a great idea!

The blighted loot turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. Despite lots of time hunting for blighted loot, I've yet to obtain a piece that I would use over my normal crafted equipment. Blighted loot drops extremely rarely, and when you do finally get a piece you can use 99% of the time it has crap techs on it.

The purpose of the blighted loot was to provide some useable loot for adventurers and to give a motivation to continue hunting. I think the blighted loot fails in these goals. Its a real shame that the devs didn't observe and take note of what a really good loot system looks like. The loot system of Diablo II for instance is exceptional and WoW uses a very similar loot system. However, instead of going with a proven loot system, the Horizons devs tried to reinvent the wheel. Unfortunately, they failed.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

and the bright side of these scrolls is that anyone would be able to use them in any class at any lvl...
    Frons Von Frik - Order

Quote Originally Posted by Frons Von Frik
    and the bright side of these scrolls is that anyone would be able to use them in any class at any lvl...
    Well, maybe put level requirements on them, but allow any class to use them.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Great idea Frons [H]

btw, This is Leviathan/Samael. I wont be on this weekend. put offers on houses out of state and have to remain out of state to sign paperwork this weekend.
    Should be back in game next weekend.
    Leviathan (formerly known as "Skald")
    100 ADV / 100 DCRA / 95 LSH Ancient Lunus Dragon (Order Shard)
    67 million Hoard...and rising!

"I kill where I wish and none dare resist...my armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" - Smaug the Mighty

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Frons Von Frik wrote: and the bright side of these scrolls is that anyone would be able to use them in any class at any lvl...
    Well, maybe put level requirements on them, but allow any class to use them.
    But do make it a reasonable requirement maybe 1 tier below the mob:
    - lvl 80+ scroll for a lvl 60 player... Yes
    - lvl 80+ scroll for a lvl 40 player... No

Just my thoughts...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Drops - really don't like the idea. One of the things I always find odd is that a monster would not use a scroll or potion. Lacking that aspect, why they would not try to destroy said scroll or potion. Thus any should be very rare. Also, logically, the monster AI would need to be tweaked to detect and use such items in itscombat.

Crafted - would be interesting and could give a spellcrafter (biped and dragon) something to create. Most likely, in our stone based magic system of shards, they would be one-use spell shards. Any can Use the spell shard, but success would depend on level differences (akin to current system of unable to overbuff) - both of user and recipient.

Since scrolls (or on-use spell shards) provide their own power (traditional view, as spellcasters have such innate power due to spell school levels of Nature, Life, Primal, etc.) they need to additional components in their crafting. Thus another barrier to monsters having them as drops (lore supports blighted items . . . barely, so lore would be needed here). One component would be Essence of X to represent the spell school (Essence of Nature from ???, Essence of Life from ???, etc.).

Horizons, by design, has a heavy crafting aspect and more development would be needed into having one-use spell shards.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaraiden
    Drops - really don't like the idea. One of the things I always find odd is that a monster would not use a scroll or potion. Lacking that aspect, why they would not try to destroy said scroll or potion. Thus any should be very rare. Also, logically, the monster AI would need to be tweaked to detect and use such items in itscombat.
    Hmm so the Drops do not like this idea ? [:P]

Anyway you should be aware of the amount of stuff some players are carrying around, cause of stuffed vault etc..

Lets analyze a little, if it where you as a player that would use potions and scrolls, how many would you bring to a fight ?1 of each ? or would you think you lasted more time so you bring 2 of each and then when you are out of potions teleport back to town and get more ?? My guess would be that you brought about 20 of each or more, atleast i guess that would be what most players would do. Why not have some spare so they last a few fights, i guess this it the very same reason why a dead mob should still have usable items on its corpse. [:)]
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Gwillimena

Perhaps the scrolls would be crafted items, but would require a dropped-only resource (similar to tech components). As has already been suggested regarding "Essence of Nature", the resources would be dropped by monsters appropriate to the spell's class; fire creatures would drop the resource needed to make fire scrolls, treants would drop resources for nature scrolls, etc.

The game engine already supports "potions" - there shouldn't be much difference (at a technical level) to add support for other one-use items (like scrolls).

This is kind of a neat idea.

I can imagine something like this: Dark Cyclone "multi-use" scroll Rare drop or craftable, 1 to 3 uses per charge.Re-chargeable.Charge being something like Elite Ghost Vapor or something T6 with rare chance of dropping, or expensive at Nadia. Same expensive item would be part of the crafting process also. This could basically function in the same manner as the Banners do.

OR: Dark Cyclone "single use" scroll. Craftable and droppable both.
    Crafting components: 1 T4 level comp, something less expensive than the reuseable type would require.

Just using Dark Cyclone as an example. The craftable scroll formula could be sold at nature tower for nature tokens even.

Other spell scrolls like Energy Attack scroll, could be re-usable, 10 uses per charge, use energy splinter for the charge.

More powerful scrolls like say Ethereal Paroxysm could be rechargeable but use tarbash style recharging, where number of uses diminishes each recharge.

It's a neat idea, but I would keep it simple at first. Only release a few, see how it goes. That way minimal dev time could be used to just try it out.

Guaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gwillimena
    Perhaps the scrolls would be crafted items, but would require a dropped-only resource (similar to tech components). As has already been suggested regarding "Essence of Nature", the resources would be dropped by monsters appropriate to the spell's class; fire creatures would drop the resource needed to make fire scrolls, treants would drop resources for nature scrolls, etc.

The game engine already supports "potions" - there shouldn't be much difference (at a technical level) to add support for other one-use items (like scrolls).
    Food is the same.

These scrolls could use gift slots (if they are powerful) to limit their "value" but add their power.

Add it with the Library of Wisdom idea
    http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=51925
    And you could have the librarian request you get X items and they give you a scroll (one use) that has an ability.

Do some crazy thing with this: (remember it uses a gift)
    Biped flight for 2 minutes (or +2minutes of velocity for dragons)
    No drowning for 2 minutes.
    Instant heal of party. Burns a gift slot (i.e. takes up a gift slot when used, but only for 1 second).
    Improved healing for a period of time (better then regrowth and dragon abilities) but uses a gift slot.
    Improved evasion and dex for a period of time.
    Improved Alacrity for a period of time.

So the librarians (from the above thread) would give a quest to go get some comps, come back and they make you the scroll from the comps. The mobs could drop these items and you just collect until you go visit the librarians. Flies drop "essence of flight" for flying scrolls. Things like that.

Tie it in with the library (something new) and it makes sense, and adds a bit of story to the Lore.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Thread Information