Thread: Hail

RackMcKracken

Default Hail

Hi there. I just started last night, late last night. Great. I'm already losing sleep!

I haven't played any true MMO games since I messed around with MUDs in '92-'94. This is quite interesting. I went through the tutorial last night. I'm playing a half-giant warrior/blacksmith. Not exactly original I'm sure, but well-suited to me. [:)] I haven't even left for the main world yet.

My goals really aren't to do too much except become a top-notch blacksmith and explore this really interesting world. So far, even just the tutorial and character selection process was exceptional to me.

So if anyone has any tips on what to expect as a new blacksmith let me know. I don't know if I can really do muchin the beginningor even what skills to focus in (outside of strength perhaps). Or even how to raise my skills... so much to learn!

I have a feelingI'll be sticking around for a bit, though. This game looks pretty chill, pretty fun. That's all I'm looking for. With any luck my wonderful lady will get involved too. She seems quite enamored with the dragons. [;)]

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Hail

Welcome to the world of crafting. Are you on Order, Chaos, or Blight?

As for becoming a top-notch blacksmith, you should be warned. Right now, there is a limit on the number of formulas and techs (750 each) that you can have in your list of scribed items. Also, there are specialty classes such as tinker, armorer and weaponsmith that deal with, of course, lots of different things like cargo armor and cargo disks, armor and weapons. If you're after the pre-product end, there are also the classes of miner and gatherer. There are also the construction sides to blacksmith: carpenter, mason, and fitter. So, how you define "top-notch" is really up to you.

Raising your craft skills happens as you make things. If you're wanting to raise your stats, you'll need to pick up some adventuring class. This would also be a good idea since there are resources on the hoof (golems and treants) that often get very irate when you're harvesting nodes and not them (I pick on the Parsinia sandstone pebble golems a lot for masonry). As you gain adventure levels, you get training points (12) to spend on different stats, depending on your adventure
    class(es).

As far as item creation goes, blacksmiths are some of the most versatile crafters in game, ranging from woods, stones, and metals. My best suggestion is to stay on the newbie island of choice for at least the first 10 levels of blacksmith and do lots and LOTS of the blacksmith quests. Save up your Imperial Lore Token (Beginner)s for getting the formulas you want. Any Imperial Bounty Markers you can get also will help for when you're ready to start applying techs to your crafted items.

If you're on Order and have any questions, just give a shout out. Usually MarketPlace or WorldProjects channels have people who can help. Believe it or not, there are even some helpful dragons in Dragon as well.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

RackMcKracken

Hi, thanks for your reply. That's good information. The weaponsmith and mason and fitter skills caught my eye last night. I was wondering about these speciality classes. They seem like something you grow into from a base class (such as blacksmith)?Would I need a certain number of skills perhaps to become a mason for instance?

If I can become a speciality class eventually that might be fine. Although versatility sounds good at the moment. After a few days if I am dead sure I am going to stick with this I will have to get the retail version to get the manual or something (or perhaps that isn't worth it?).

Hail & well met!

With construction classes, you need to have a base skill of 150 in the appropriate processing skill - mason, for example, is 150 stoneworking. How you get there is up to you, but miner, blacksmith, gatherer and outfitter all give skills that can be used in construction schools. Weavers, enchanters, and carpenters are always in short supply, BTW... [;)]

The manual is outdated - badly - but if you want one check eBay. Otherwise, use the General and/or Help chat channels. We, the players, ARE the manual. [:D]

So, what server are you on?
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

RackMcKracken

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter
    Hail & well met!

We, the players, ARE the manual. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    [H] That's awesome! Well I guess it would be good if they updated the manual. But learning on the fly does have its merits and so far everyone seems really pleasant.

I'm on the Chaos server with this character. How is Order? Do people really role-play in this game on that server?

I could see myself playing my character as a roleplay. Last night I chopped some trees, dug some ore and then ran my half-giant up a mountain to sit on it and watch the game just move. It's quite a game. I saw so many people below me running around gather resources and I kind of laughed to think perhaps the effect of that really cool sunset may wear off on me soon too. Who knows.

I just can't wait to figure out how to earn some coin and learn some useful blacksmith recipes or whatchyamacallits.

Technical Jazz
    Great graphics in this game. I'm building a new pc soon. AMD socket 939 for sure, but other than that any recommendations to run this game nicely? My 9800pro video cards seems to have some texture and draw distance problems withthe game... unless its the low (512) level of ram I have in the current machine (Asus P4800S Socket 478 P4 build).

gopher65

Your video card is fine. HZ doesn't use video cards very much; for the most part it is CPU based. Thereforea 3.0ghz with at least 1 gig of ram is best. 512 megs of ram isn't really enough to run the game properly (or any modern game really). Windows XP needs at least 512 megs just for its own operations hehe. Make sure you have a fast harddrive as well. It is always better to have graphically intense games on a different harddrive (or at least partition) than your operating system.

Welcome to istaria:)

/wavehi

welcome to istaria :)
    Ular Naga

Proud "Handy Man" of the -Dark Saga-
    Unity Shard

"First i followed the light then the blight, but suddenly nature showed me the path to walk"

Quote Originally Posted by RackMcKracken

I could see myself playing my character as a roleplay. Last night I chopped some trees, dug some ore and then ran my half-giant up a mountain to sit on it and watch the game just move.
    Sorry we didn't get to chat more last night; toddler issues came up. [:S]

Feel free to send me a /tell if you have any questions. The General & Help channels are great resources; Marketplace often goes so fast that any questions you ask there stand a good chance of being missed.

Many folks, myself included, are happy to help new players get started with some basic tools and equipment. Just let us know what you need. [8-|]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Welcome to Istaria, RackMcKracken. Crafting can be very rewarding as you progress. If you have any questions and happen to play Chaos - I'd be happy to offer advice.
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

Quote Originally Posted by RackMcKracken

I'm on the Chaos server with this character. How is Order? Do people really role-play in this game on that server?
    Yes, we REALLY do roleplay on that server. It's not uncommon to hear a dwarven drawl, the hissing of a Sslik, barely intelligible dragons, yowling Saris, and any number of other dialects and accents. I, for one, treat every character as a different individual, regardless of whether or not it's an "alt". If you look at the Order Server forum on here, you'll note that we have several other non-TG things that go on. For instance, we have dragon bonding ceremonies, bardic gatherings, and other things that people set up and manage that have absolutely no setup or design parameters that have to go through the developers. Out-of-character speaking is generally preferred with some sort of notation (entirely in parentheses, "OOC:", bracketing, something) unless it's dealing with an in-game problem with Zideon. I won't say it's done 100% of the time, but there is the push to give the game the added dimension.

For dragons, the Lunus and Helian distinction is also a more strongly emphasized in the RP. Just don't get stuck in a tight situation with a hungry Lunus dragon if you're a gnome. Some of the dragons in the Dragon channel will snub you if they know you're a naka-duskael (biped). There are also dragon languages out there. Just be careful of how you pronounce a few of them. One of the greetings often used is also terrible for the throat because it generally sounds like the same sort of sound as hacking up a gnomeball. I usually end up coughing on it.

Zideon Locke

Welcome to Istaria. Hope you enjoy your stay and let me know if you need any help with anything.

Endolyn

Welcome in Istaria RackMcKracken,

I hope you'll enjoy your stay.
    If there's anything you need, feel free to ask. Take good care while exploring the world ;)

imported_peladon

C`gan two leg.

'... barely intelligible dragons...'. I had not known we had spoken. <G>.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker

I don't recall, but there are a few dragons whose speaking skills demonstrate that the draconic mouth was not designed for the biped languages (Can you just imagine how difficult native Saris would be with all the yowling????).

Mentasynth is a much better option.

Greetings from the Crafter's Alliance on Chaos!

Thread Information