Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Movies

Default Re: Movies

I also have to add "Office Space" This movie is a classic...
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

I really enjoyed "Cube", and to a lesser extent "Cube 2: Hypercube". Not really great movies for quotes, but when it comes to an original concept and elaborate use of a single set, the original "Cube" is definitely worth watching [:)]

I've heard there's a new Cube film out, "Cube Zero". Haven't seen it yet...

Here's a few more from me.

Splash (I'm a sucker for mermaid movies but it has been AGES since I have seen it)
    Bride with White Hair - HK action love story
    Bride with White Hair 2 - finishes the story

I gotta find these on DVD one day.

Lots of good ones already mentioned. Some others i really liked:

Comedies:

Soap Dish
    Big
    Jumping Jack Flash ( with whoopie goldberg)
    Bedrooms and Hallways (European, content might offend, but really funny)
    Red vs. Blue (redvsblue.com) season 1
    American Pie series
    Van Wilder

Horror:
    Hellraiser

others in recent memory:

the forgotten ( extended version dvd)
    Donnie Darko
    The Butterfly Effect ( directors cut with different ending)
    Go
    Contact

Ones I really liked that everyone has probably seen:
    bourne identity & bourne supremacy
    Spiderman 1 & 2
    xmen 1 & 2

Alot of others but i'm tired can't remember them all.

Oh now Zina picked a good one... I am always ready to watch "the Usual Supects" again and again and again and...
    Sajid,
    Lone Lizard of the Apocalypse

Champions of Honor

What do you guys think of the upcoming War of the Worlds? I'm not normally won over by trailers, but I like it.

Favorite movie of all time - Excalibur

"ana:l nathrakh, u:rth va:`s bethud, dokhje:l djenve"
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Starship Troopers.

It's one of the few films I can watch repeatedly, most films I only watch once but there's something about Starship Troopers I love !

*chuckles* One of the movies that I just can't take my eyes off when it comes on is From Dusk Til Dawn. I know it's bizarre (to say the least), but it's kind of like a train wreck--you know it's going to end badly, but you just can't take your eyes off it.

Besides, the 5-minute speil by Cheech outside the club and the band's music are just terrific! [:D]
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Some favorites of mine, in no particular order:

Blade Runner
    Army of Darkness
    Office Space ("I believe you have my stapler?")
    Matrix series (especially the first of the trilogy)
    Ghost in the Shell
    Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
    Apollo 13 (an engineer's movie if ever there was one)
    The Sixth Sense
    LOTR trilogy
    2001: A Space Odyssey (and to a lesser extent the sequel 2010)
    The Terminator (1 & 2)

Moving a bit off of movies, my favorite mini-series:

From The Earth to the Moon
    Band of Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalyr
    *chuckles* One of the movies that I just can't take my eyes off when it comes on is From Dusk Til Dawn. I know it's bizarre (to say the least), but it's kind of like a train wreck--you know it's going to end badly, but you just can't take your eyes off it.

Besides, the 5-minute speil by Cheech outside the club and the band's music are just terrific! [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    Didn't Cheech play like 5 or so different parts in that film? Border guard, the bit where he gives the sales pitch outside the club as you mentioned, bartender, and a couple of others I can't remember [:)] I never noticed the first time I watched From Dusk till Dawn, a friend pointed it out the second time round [:D]

Cheech played three roles in the movie: border customs inspector, strip club barker and the drug lord at the end of the movie.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael
    Starship Troopers.

It's one of the few films I can watch repeatedly, most films I only watch once but there's something about Starship Troopers I love !
    Perhaps it's the tent scene between Diz and Rico?

Maybe it's the administrative punishment?

Or could it be you like seeing the one pilot's brain being sucked out?

Maybe it's just the whole 1950s style of being bright, upbeat, and so sugary cheerful about a bad situation that you want to slap someone and scream "GET A CLUE!"
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Tzael wrote: Starship Troopers.

Perhaps it's the tent scene between Diz and Rico?

Maybe it's the administrative punishment?

Or could it be you like seeing the one pilot's brain being sucked out?

Maybe it's just the whole 1950s style of being bright, upbeat, and so sugary cheerful about a bad situation that you want to slap someone and scream "GET A CLUE!"
    The tent scene you describe reminds me that Diz was a man in the Heinlein book. I remember sort of smiling to myself watching their fling while knowing this.

I liked the film, great action and great gory fun.

Edit: Still waiting for someone to give their opinion on the War of the Worlds trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1968
    Edit: Still waiting for someone to give their opinion on the War of the Worlds trailer.
    The trailer doesn't excite me that much. I believe I'll wait til some friends see it and give me their opinions before buying tickets.

Dalton

in the Alan Alda film "Sweet Liberty," the director of that film-within-a-film talks about the three things every movie needs: 1, disrespect for authority; 2, destroy property, and 3, gratuitous sex and/or nudity.

Looking at these top movie picks, I find this character (played by the incredible Saul Rubinek)probably hit the fictional nail right on its imaginary head.

I have two lists of favorities myself -- those with and those without digital effects.

Among the non-digital (and in no particular order):
    North by Northwest
    Rear Window
    Citizen Kane
    Mr. Roberts
    The Sting
    The Apartment
    The Guns of Navarone
    Forbidden Planet

Lines: "How did a girl like you get to be a girl like you," Cary Grant to Eva Marie Saint in North by Northwest.

"Luther told me you could teach me something. I already know how to drink," Robert Redford to Paul Newman in The Sting.

The Digital era:
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy
    Superman (the first one, which almost fits into the non-digital era)
    Frequency

Overall winner: Raiders of the Lost Ark

my 2 cents

Zideon Locke

Anyone ever see a Dennis Quaid Movie called "The Savior"? This is an absolutely fantastic movie for those to watch who think they know about war. You will feel differently when you see this movie. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    What movie that Cheech is in DOESN'T have him playing multiple roles? =)
    "Yellowbeard", "The Corsican Brothers" and "Born in East L.A." were all single-role films for him. [H]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Enlil Huyuk

Guillermo Del Toro's films such as Cronos and The Devil's Backbone are astoundingly beautiful

So many wonderful movies have been put forward! I have seen and enjoyed most of them and quite a few are favorites of mine.

But Zideon, you manly man you! (starts to think about men in tight tights and short tunics....yummy!!!!) my answer has to be..........

• [~]A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum[~]

This is my all-time favorite movie! [W]

Nellie Lovett/Ochre Tekton
    of Azure Twilight in Carmo on Order
    English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over & goes through their pockets for loose grammar. -=Paraphased from James Nicoll=- Unicorn's Lady's Dalliance

Thread Information