Thread: On the Rite of Passage and other matters

Default On the Rite of Passage and other matters

Having now completed my Rite of Passage after more than 400 days in game, I've decided to post a few musings on the subject. Note: this will have a largely Helian bias, as that is the path I followed. This is probably going to be unstructured and rambling, and I'm alsolikelyto veer off into other areas of the game.

On levels
    I waited until I was 52+ adventurer and 80+ craft. 52 so I'd have the best Silver Strike and enough Primal skill for a double-teched Improved Prime Bolt III. 80 so I could wear tier V scales and have the best protection available.

There is generally a certain amount of irritation at level 30 adults. Having waited as long as I did as a Hatchling, and having become an Adult, I now get to be irritated from several points of view [:P]

The Rite is so much easier when you have a decent amount of experience behind you. I killed the crystaline golem solo, and even handled the few shards of faces that barged in, intent on spoling my day. The only time I was in any real danger was when a breeze ran out and I forgot to cast another. The enslavers of will, mind and spirit fell within moments when faced with a Dragon of my abilities. Pale hatchlings of almost my level tried to out-ravage me, but their combined damage for four strikes was about the same as one and a halfof mine. If I had ever doubted my abilities as a Dragon (I had), wondered if my preparation was adequate (I had), all my worries were now laid to rest.

On the Rite of Passage
    I haven't hadthat much content-based fun in ages. Oh, guild and community events are just as fun, but they're not based on in-game content. People charge through the Rite determined to get their wings,and miss sooo much in the process. How many Dragons missed the hermit show-boating when he attuned you to the pool of teeth? Or the claw-shaped clasps on the glass vials? How many noticed that the reflection of your adult self in the changed mirror had "amazingly good looks"? How many wanted to be given the Hatchling statue your instructor made as a demonstration? How many actually thought about what was said of Lunus and Helian philosophy? From the beginning, from the day I started playing, I intended to follow the Helian path. But I came very close to changing my mind when I talked to Valkoth in Dralk.

Which part was the Rite? I don't consider harrasing some mad gnome until he makes me a prism to be much of a rite. On the other hand, making a statue of your Adult self and making a Phylactery would seem to be seperate Rites. Perhaps the whole "Rite of Passage" was merely preparation, and the true Ritecomes when you use the power of your Phylactery atop the Peak of Storms. The true test being to control that immense power, to bend it to your will and through it, change reality itself to grant you your new form.

Finding that Kendra was missing from Kion during the tapered... emerald? part of the Helian Rite, I was most put out. For those that don't know / remember, you are given a ring that was stolen from Kendra. You canhoard it, buy it, or return it to Kendra. Whichever you choose, theend resultis the same. I wanted to return it to Kendra, but couldn't because she hasn't been in game for ages. Ok, to the quest and to the player, it made little or no difference, but to the Dragon, it did. As it is, I bought the ring and it shall remain in my vault until the day Kendra returns and I can return it to its rightful owner.

On flight
    [:D]

How did I ever manage without my flying ability? Seeing that first wingbeat every time I take to the skies, or making a perfect landing in front of a portal or trainer... Swooping down on unsuspecting newbies in New Brommel... Flying in circles around a city, just because I can... Flying through the Tazoon desert at maximum altitude and seeing the tower of healing appear out of the mist.

And flying has let me see so many things I had never heard of before - the second crater in the Dralk volcano, or the lava-spiral to the north. I'm seriously tempted to upgrade my PC just so I can use a higher view range and enjoy the scenery.

On Khutit form
    I know a number of Dragons that hate using this ability, no matter how much it's needed. At first, I didn't like using it myself, but I've rather warmed to the tiny me. Watching all the strength and power I possess being compressed to such a dinky little size is quite fun. I also like knowing that I can unleash that power whenever I want - I just wish I could see it animated, rather than justappearing. Does anyone else see an animation when they change back? The Khutit-me still looks like me, despite having the wrong head (wish someone would sort that, but there's more important things).

On ability quests
    Having undertaken some interesting, well thought-out quests during the Rite, how can I face going back to "Kill X of Y". Especially when X = 50. Where is the challenge, the test of your skill... the fun? Give me a goal, not a counter. Ask me to loot three of X, and let the randomness of drops provide a momentary thrill of excitement after each kill, rather than make me watch as a counter increases through an ever-more monotonous series of fights.

/end of rambling observations

Antonath
    Antonath

Default Re: On the Rite of Passage and other matters

:: stomps ground in approval :: excellent insight.

I'm glad you enjoyed the lore and the NPCs and quests as much as I did.

Bravo!
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

I'm glad you two enjoyed the ROP as much as I did. [Yes, I'm Helian too]

It's been my opinion that most people simply take the quick and easy path to flight and ignore the lore. Their loss. :3

I took screenshots of every NPC chat, just to go back and have a lore-book.

And, from what I've seen about the way the ARoP is progressing, it should be a very memorable event. Since you have your wings now, go look at the beta version of the Council of Elders, approx NE of Dralk. And have a chat with the Historian and see what he has to say
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Scotland/Unity/Where the shadows are thickest...

And here's someone who thought she was the only one to take snap-shots of every NPC and quest monster encounter, talk and every quest item description. ^^;

I very much enjoyed my RoP despite my progress being impeded on innumerous occassions, it's just a shame I couldn't do all of it myself which is what I had in mind, I believe that it should be a solo trial but I defied my promise when I had to take on Kaa the Shade... - I'm a Helian, which meant no phylectery.

I can'nae think of anything witty to type right now... give me a while more.
    (I don't don't have Photoshop like you might do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nisse
    I'm glad you two enjoyed the ROP as much as I did. [Yes, I'm Helian too]

It's been my opinion that most people simply take the quick and easy path to flight and ignore the lore. Their loss. :3

I took screenshots of every NPC chat, just to go back and have a lore-book.

And, from what I've seen about the way the ARoP is progressing, it should be a very memorable event. Since you have your wings now, go look at the beta version of the Council of Elders, approx NE of Dralk. And have a chat with the Historian and see what he has to say
    I did Lunus RoP, and I sure had to madly click through some parts of the lore as fast as possible. The one part that specifically comes to mind was trying to talk to the giant ancient frozen dragon on Draak as quickly as possible to get to the next part of the quest while 6 Entombed Wills roamed around his feet killing us.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Quote Originally Posted by Atolmyth
    And here's someone who thought she was the only one to take snap-shots of every NPC and quest monster encounter, talk and every quest item description. ^^;
    *chuckles* Nope, you aren't the only one with a whole bunch of screenshots. I finally got around to copying all that text down and posting it in the lore section too. (:
    Tympest Stormchaser
    100/100 Ancient Lunus Dragon - Retired
    Erus Ex Istaria - Order

Grats Antonath :)

Thread Information