Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: the new patcher

gopher65

Default Re: the new patcher

Just for my personal info, how many of the people who had the login problems were running SP1 and how many SP2?

AZVladimir

Just curious - I had no trouble logging in, in fact, I didn't see any difference what so ever. Anybody else? Or did they roll back the launcher and I just didn't get it?

AZV

gopher65

They rolled it back.

i got in after screwing around with my internet options for about half an hour
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

Tahrl

It's a crappy upgrade rollout similar to this one that just got my co-worker fired. Whoever pushed to get this released prior to testing is an idiot. Whoever followed the proper procedures that allowed for the easy rollback is a super hero. Thanks!

cpltom

I also wish to say thank you to whoever it was that finally got this thing rolled back.

Noodle

There is so many broken things in this game already.. why are they screwing around whith something that works???

Spend you time fixing what's broken.. and stop messing with stuff that works fine ...

I tell ya.. enough is enough.. get a clue already

There.. I vented

Thalak

These are the kind of things that make me wonder if we really spend more time fighting the game or playing it. The login, though way too slow, was working. It would not of taken much time to run this externally and see it was not behaving. -10 cool points. An additional -10 cool points for having to lower security settings to get it to work.

This is probably old news but if you have a spyware killer like Spybot installed, make sure it sees the .ocx as safe, otherwise you'll never log in. (That was my drama).

Those who run Win2000/XP Pro may want to make sure they haven't messed with settings in Local Security Policy. If you have a tweaker program like XSetup, ensure you haven't fiddled with any scripting tweaks.

It's a shame you haveto compromise your computer security in order to get a game to work, but that's CraptiveX for you.

Thanks for making us download a 21 Mb .Net bollocks as well. Just what every computer needs....[Y]

Still, like I said, probably old news....

I feel sorry that most of you had the problems of not getting in. Last night I was asked to d/l runline.ocx so i did. accepted tulga as trusted publisher and then it had me close all browsers open to complete installation. I closed IE, waited a min or 2 and got back onto horizons login site and got in just fine no problems at all.

GhostRdr -
    100- RVR, SPRT, HLR, CONJ, SHMN, GRD
    100- BLK, WPN, FIT, MSN

Fayde- 69 Adult Lunus/35 craft
    82nd Level Hoard
    Member of the Dark Council
    Nana & Gerard Guild Communities

Thanks to the help of an irc poster, Stranyr, *I hope I spelled it right*, I was able to get in, he gave me step by step directions, thankfully. I am , in now way, all that computer savvy, so his help, time, went the extra mile so that I could get into the game.

gopher65

you would have needed .net 1.1 soon anyway. AE announce what.... 6 months ago or so that everyone needed to upgrade to 1.1 else the game wouldn't load properly (eventually). I guess they must have been planning their new patcher back then already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahrl
    It's a crappy upgrade rollout similar to this one that just got my co-worker fired. Whoever pushed to get this released prior to testing is an idiot. Whoever followed the proper procedures that allowed for the easy rollback is a super hero. Thanks!
    Actually this patcher has been in testing for quite some time. Check the Blight Forum for info. From player feedback and posts, it appeared to be working fine as of the last info.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    (Retired but keeping an eye out.)
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    http://tinyurl.com/ZL3F

"I'm a vegetarian Dragon. I only eat Garden Gnomes."

It always worked fine for me, didn't need to change any settings.
    I still use it, and I love it [:)]

These are the kind of things that make me wonder if we really spend more time fighting the game or playing it. The login, though way too slow, was working. It would not of taken much time to run this externally and see it was not behaving. -10 cool points. An additional -10 cool points for having to lower security settings to get it to work.
    Actually it is a problem with current Microsoft patches.

They (because of their limiations) have closed/removed many standard programming interfaces from being "on" by default. (RPC, DCOM, OCX) and because of malicious code writers the security settings are getting tougher.

Now I had 0 problem getting this to work (I write code like this so understood the problem) and the instructions given on the [MORE] in the front page (had you read them and followed them) should have enabled you to avoid any problems. But people that attempted to run this and not actually read the release notes would find they may have had a problem. Now that should have been anticipated by Tulga.

How many people installed XP SP2 (service pack 2) and had to modify their firewall settings to allow the game to accept incomming connections? (I bet everyone that has XP SP2). So the above point by Thalak is pretty invalid. -10 ptoints for lowering security settings? You have to do that to surf the net, play online games, or allow any of the downloaders or other internet/wan/lan aware applications to work.

Also, you didn't have to lower the "security", you needed to add Istaria.com to the trusted (security is lowered for istaria.com) section of your browswer. This is a limitation of the browswers (annoying really, our product has this problem all the time).

And .net 1.1. Heck, I have a 300k program I wrote, that requires a 25Meg .net install (another person did a part in .net). You can't get away from it now. It ships with 2003, and will soon be included in the patches to XP.

Of course you should have to be computer savy to run Horizons, but then again, the Anti-virus (cause of many crashes with Horizons), firewall (Zone Alarm blocks horizons every time it is patched), and spybot (changing home pages, changing trusted domains, installing OCXs) are written to be overly cautious, and even Microsoft doesn't suppor them (see their newest mal ware removal download for their answer).

So all in all, it was probably tested quite a bit (alternate page has been up for awhile). It adds speed (uses more bandwidth to download patch faster in multi-threaded mode! Definatelly worth enabling if you have cable). And looks ******** cool (windowless program! Nice).

Then again, easier to throw rocks.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Amadan,

That's just it.. I wasn't getting ANY error.

The patcher installed without incident, I closed all browser windows, opened a new one, logged in, pressed the play button, the patcher launched, downloaded the master file list file, and promptly disappeared without launching the game.

I click "Play" again, the patcher launches, downloads the file, and disappears without starting the game. *shrug* No message, no errors, nothing. Just *poof!* and gone.

Is it possible that it is hard-coded to look for my Horizons.exe at the default location? Horizons is installed on my D: drive on that system.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

I had the same problem when I tied it once I found it on the blight board about the new tester. Down loaded the little patcher pic poped up look like it ran and went away and the game never started. I also have my game on the D drive I am going to be annoyed if they are going to want me to reinstall the game on a drive I do not want it on.

gopher65

I have HZ on my F drive and I had no problems. I have had that same problem with the old patcher though Pharcellus. I don't remember what I did to fix it (if anything). It was a really annoying problem for a while though. The patcher would run, then not launch the game:(. Only had that problem for 1 day, then it was gone after that.

I had the same problem when I tied it once I found it on the blight board about the new tester. Down loaded the little patcher pic poped up look like it ran and went away and the game never started. I also have my game on the D drive I am going to be annoyed if they are going to want me to reinstall the game on a drive I do not want it on.
    I have it on my G drive.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Thread Information