Thread: Swimming

Pero Salmon

Default Swimming

You know I dont get it. Ive been playing EQ2 and CoH both games have implemented swimming. Almost all MMOGs currently in production will allow swimming. So how come Horizons doesnt allow this figure? Dont tell me its used to control players tulga games could make barriers or make who is swimming take three times longer then if they were running.

Default Re: Swimming

I just doubtit's a high priority right now.

New animations would need made. Probably not too big of a deal. But there's been missing spell effects since the game launched.(So do not expect it anytime soon)

Swimming would need to be a limited range form of travel, perhaps strength & dexterity based. Also if you are wearing armor like any plate at all ( any armor kinds that would prevent proper movement to swim) or any heavy armor types like cobalt anything, steel anything, iron anything, etc., you can't swim at all. Mithril ring might not weigh alot, but would be draggy, and slow you down. Leather and cloths would slow you down also. Naked would be best. Swimspeed boots ( slip on fins) could boost swim speed a bit, and maybe be teched with swimspeed. A swimsuit seems proper as well. The swimsuit would be REQUIRED to let the character swim, and only certain races could wear one. I can't see sslisk being able to swim at all. nor dragons. Dryads could probably swim but why would they when it makes more sense to hover over the water. Not sure saris would be allowed to swim either, since most cats =! water. Anyway the swimsuit would be equippable only by races with an ability to swim. Sslisk and dragons and maybe saris shouldnt be swimmers. Satyrs undecided. The short races like dwarves and gnomes can swim but would be range impared compared to human, fiend, half giants. Maybe the fat dwarves wouldn't be range impared, just alot slower. They could float forever due to natural bouancy.

Just throwing out ideas... [:)]

why do you want the swim feature?

ok i hate some parts of the map you have to go to low water and if you are too slow you are dead =)

i dont think that this feature would be used

and yes: you should have to wear no armor and an empy inventory else it would be strange

Pero Salmon

Im not asking for tulga games to include swimming. I just posted a question on why its not implemented in this game.

Realm of Order [Elsewhere: Los Angeles or Wesley Chapel]

Swimmmig should be inclkuded as there many areas in Instaria that are separted from water. It would be easier to cross the water as opposed to walking all the way around, which is what I did. I did not like it one bit.
    j'Phaelluin:Mage/Monk/Scholar/Cleric,Druid,Scout,Warrior/Blacksmith/OutfitterTiaeruih:Scout/Cleric,Mage,Warrior/Outfitter/Scholar,BlacksmithMhoss:7DragonAdventure/3Crafter

swimming is cool. why not?

Swimming makes more exploring so dragons / bipeds cant go to same places.

Atm dragons can come every where. Why not make bipeds allowed to swim and dragons unable to and let them die coz its so cold. So bipeds can get to places where only bipeds are able to go to.
    Onnidrah: Half Gaint - Retired
    Warrior: 100 Cleric: 100 Mage: 100 Spiritist 100
    Armourer: 62

Unity [Formerer ICE]
    Old Beta Player
    Tazoon irc: IRC

Quote Originally Posted by Onnidrah
    Swimming makes more exploring so dragons / bipeds cant go to same places.

Atm dragons can come every where. Why not make bipeds allowed to swim and dragons unable to and let them die coz its so cold. So bipeds can get to places where only bipeds are able to go to.
    Where in the world would that be? Dunno about you but anywhere you can think of to swim I'm fairly sure I can fly to. Bit curious about the, "bipeds can get to places where only bipeds are able to go."

The only spots that I have found for dragons to go that bipeds can't are the island of machines (it's fairly boring actually) and some random islands that have nothing on them... Sure we got access to the werewolf island that the bridge near Selen too...for all of a week after the werewolves were added before the bridge was done (least on Chaos). That's not a huge advantage in my mind. I don't think bipeds really miss out on much there.

Pretty sure swimming isn't in because they a.) want you to use the portal system b.)there's nothing cool in the oceans to attack you as there is on land c.) I'm pretty sure its really low on the list of things to add, I personally would rather have new events and a good quest system for all classes first.
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Beside the fact that water is just simulated here.

There is a surface that when passed through gives the illusion of being underwater.

To make swimming work, you need a world model, which Horizons does not have.

As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

True, being able to swim in HZ right now would be pointless. But if, in the future, water could be swam in, you could have boats, ships, under water adventure areas, sunken ships, treasure, underwater caves, and a range of mobs to fight. You could also create an entirely new fighting style, required to succeed.

As for limits. Well 2 places close together could be reachable by swimming but you could set a boundary at a point out-to-sea, beyond which you begin to suffer from fatigue.

The game I'm playing right now has all this.

Thread Information