Thread: Tech and Dye for clothing

Default Tech and Dye for clothing

It would be nice if we could use techs and dyes on the clothing.

I have a wizard that likes to run around in Dark Forest wear, but he has to give up any techs that he would have on regular armor. There are lots of clothing styles that would be appropriate for the non-melee combat types.

I can't see where adding techs to clothing would cause any exploits. Clothing does weigh less than armor but you would be giving up the original armor protection of regular armor to wear teched clothing.

Default Re: Tech and Dye for clothing

Yeah... and give us those robes and pointy hats that the player town attune folks wear. It's in the game... expert form perhaps?
    Sajid,
    Lone Lizard of the Apocalypse

Champions of Honor

This has been suggested more times than I can remember...It would be a good idea, Ssil looks nice and evil in Dark Forest wear, and I would like to take it into battle...

But I don't think it'll happen anytime soon...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

I agree with adding techs as being a good idea but I'm not too sure about dyes. The colors on clothing are inherent in the texture. Adding an overlay dye would cause some pretty whacked colors on most of the social clothing.

But yeah, been asking for the ability to add techs to socials since I can remember. :(

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

It should be ESPECIALLY easy to dye fabric. They've been doing it for thousands of years. Fabric colors are never truly "inherent". Most textiles in raw form are somewhere in the bland yellow-gray range (silk being rather yellow when unbleached).
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

And you are thinking in real world, literal terms C`gan. The colors on the social clothing in the game are indeed inherent to the texture, they are not added after the fact. It is why Gold looks like crap on leather or heavily shaded metal armors... The yellow tint is being overlayed onto a dark grey/brown texture shading causing the true color on the item in those areas to become a puke greenish hue. It is how dyes work in the game and not in the real world that matters and unfortunately, that is how it works.

I would truly hate to see how Kirasanct Weave would look with a Gold dye on it. *shudders at the thought*

Hmmm...it would take some work, but I don't think it would be too hard to reskin the social clothing, perhaps even give them the option of two colors, as most of them seem to have at least that many...

Anyways, it would be yetanother bit of fluff that would be really nice to have, but not truly needed at this point...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

From my understanding armor's base texture is just a grayscale image, all color is derived from the "tint' files located in %HorizonsDir%\Resources\Textures\Tints. These files are just color palettes, and when you dye a piece of armor you just use a different palette. The process is not additive, there isn't so much an 'overlay' of color as it is a complete replacement. This is why cobalt armor doesn't mix with white dye to form a light-blue colored armor, it just ends up white.

Snowdonia is right, racial wear is not a grayscale texture but a colored one. All pieces have specified colors that do not lend to the current 'tint' system and would require large amounts of overhauling in the tinting code to make them work. Tulga would have to move from a palette replacement method to using blending techniques over a base textures, something that would probably slow things down.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Thread Information