Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TG: Game Patcher - Troubleshooting Tips

Default Re: Updated Patcher issue list w/troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Stranyr
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]gena_st wrote:These did not work for me - the game does not launch after the patcher window closes.

Edit: To be more specific:
    -I am running Windows 98SE
    -I have added the site to my trusted sites list
    -I have enabled unsafe ActiveX components for my trusted sites
    -I have run the file that updates my computer's root certificates (I deleted the Launcher Control and the Launcher directory after running this)
    -I am not behind a firewall
    -I have .NET 1.1 installed
    -I have run the Caspol file (I deleted the Launcher Control and the Launcher directory after running this)

When I use the multi-threaded patcher, the following image comes up on the screen briefly:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v341/g...cherwindow.bmp

After that, nothing happens.

I would Try finding the silentpatcher.exe file in the HZ dir and renaming it or moving it, and seeing what happens.. the image that comes up is from that file running, but I wonder if something in it is corrupt from the DL.
    Has nothing to do with the machine or a corrupted download. It is not just her that is having these problems, but everyone who is running on Windows 98/SE.

It is currently assumed to be a problem in the way the patcher calls shellExec to launch the created batch file which launches the Horizons.exe program, as everything else is working perfectly. Why it has to make a batch file to launch the game executable I have no idea, but that is a design issue, not related to this problem.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

It makes little sense why it calls a batch file the aluncher should be able to call horizons.exe by itself with params..

Also makes little sense why anyone would still be running 98.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

gena_st

Quote Originally Posted by evilkarl
    Also makes little sense why anyone would still be running 98.
    Some of us aren't ready to sell our souls to MS by giving them the ability to spy on everything we install on our computer. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by gena_st
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]evilkarl wrote: Also makes little sense why anyone would still be running 98.

Some of us aren't ready to sell our souls to MS by giving them the ability to spy on everything we install on our computer. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    Riiiiiight...

cause win98 is so awesome and able to protect you.....

not one ofME, 2k, or XP allows MS to see what you installed on your computer.
    unless youinstall the GDI detector or the Scanner detector for vulnerable software and even then they don't know anything about you, like who you are, where you are from or even what your licence key is, only that you have installed X patch forY software.

If you have SP2 for XP then you don't even need to do that.

But of course the conspiracy lunatics will continue to think that MS keeps tabs on EVERY computer in the world with an MS O/S and everything installed on it, and every byte of info that it handles.

Pillaging the land and spreading Pandemonium Amongst Chaos
    Stranyr Al-Qroni
    Knight of Creation/Sorcerer
    GuildMaster of Pirates of Pandemonium

Well your running a 8+ year old Operating system. Expect problems with modern games and programs :)

Win2k is the only ms software on my home pc have I sold my soul to ms nope I needed a stable gaming OS.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

I don't consider a buggy piece of crap a reason to "expect problems with modern games and programs". If that were the case, there'd be no working software anywhere on the planet.

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Wailer

Just a correction to you EvilKarl..

Reading the Horizons requirements I just thought you should know that it states Windows 98 / Me / 2000 / XP.

I hardly think the age of the opperating system has anything to do with the discussion here. If Horizons no longer works on the operating system that players purchased it to play on and was clearly marked on the box at the time of purchase... That, sir, is not the palyers fault and is, infact, a breech of reasonable expectation of service.

Anyways, I'll leave the legal wranglings to the armchair lawyers. Fact is if Horizons is no longer meant to work on Win98 / Me then it would behove someone to change the systems reqs asap. Has all kinds of issues written all over that little fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by gena_st
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]evilkarl wrote: Also makes little sense why anyone would still be running 98.

Some of us aren't ready to sell our souls to MS by giving them the ability to spy on everything we install on our computer. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    ...I dual-boot with 98sec, so I can play all that older stuff that don't work on the nightmare that is XP...

(oh, Hz works fine on 98 by the way...)

Right. HORIZONS works fine on 98.

The NEW PATCHER does not.

Since eventually, we will have to use only the new patcher, if the problem is not fixed, then HORIZONS won't "work fine on 98", since there won't be a normal operational path to launch the game without technical workarounds.

Now, the thing doesn't work at all, though it is likely due to someone borking the login page rather than the patcher itself, hence:

http://community.istaria.com/Web/Sho...x?PostID=63119

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan
    I just get an "Error on page" in the lower left of my browser window and the launcher never starts, when I click "Play Horizons" from the new patcher login screen.

It was working with a previous version of the new patcher, so I know I have everything I need installed. I updated my certificates and same error.

EDIT: trying deleting the launcher folder and rerunning. It worked.
    I tried that .. and next log on I have to delete it again .... Yes it works evrytime you delete. But never a second time.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Thread Information