Thread: What makes a good tank

Default What makes a good tank

Been gone awhile got burned out in game. What make a good tank that can cast DC. Please give me your thought on it. And a note on negetivity in game from a post. I left the game due rude and loot thieving from toons. I am comeing back for a try out on blight server. I'll try my old toon name as Bochsam for those that know it. I will be playing limited time to try not get burned out again. Thank you
    Nodaken

Default Re: What makes a good tank

well if you talkin just a few classes healer/duid would work.
    Bunch o classes add warrior/mage/spiritist to your healer/druid and play as a healer. mosttanks are healer or cleric. kinda funny actually

My 2 cents

NimKhazad
    redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes!

Depends if you are talking about solo or grouped.

For soloing, you willneed a balance of staying power (evasion+absorption+healing power) and damage.

For grouping, damage isn't as big of a priority provided you have group members who can dish it out.

Overall, cleric as main is a very, very formidable tank. Plate mail and health line = mega staying power.

Druid is nice but the armor is an issue.

Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

Well, i've noticedsomeof big tanks out there are Reaver. They can't use all the heals, but with Etheral Paroxysm, and DC'able makes formidble foes. So take Healer, Druid, Spirtist and Warrior. Could take Monk as well for the evasion, and use Reaver as your main class ofcourse. With those schools you would have the max in your skills that you would use, i thinks =D max: hps, str, combat skills [melee, spirit, nature], life, dex [if you took monk]. Could take Conjurer as well for the Multi-Cast 2 masterable. As for any more schools, heh, just have fun =D

Well theres my thoughts, now I'm not a melee class, so I won't be doing this ofcourse, but there's just my thoughts.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

ever since this new patch we dragons have become great tanks... I have soled 5 t5 monsters and lived with most of health intact, and I have taking on many t5 named monster and live. Never could have done any of that before patch.

Yep, we make excellent tanks now, especially with healer support.
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Hey, read the first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktrones
    Been gone awhile got burned out in game. What make a good tank that can cast DC. Please give me your thought on it. And a note on negetivity in game from a post. I left the game due rude and loot thieving from toons. I am comeing back for a try out on blight server. I'll try my old toon name as Bochsam for those that know it. I will be playing limited time to try not get burned out again. Thank you
    Besides Reaver, think of Paladin with 10/level Armor Use (Warrior or other school). Add them Mage levels and you can do a nice Dark Cyclone and likely other spells then melee.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

group:
    anyone who recognizes my mezzes and crowd control, and doesn't break them is a wonderful tank IMO.

solo:
    I have seen many awesome tanks, from almost all the melee classes. I would rate them in this order from personal experience though (talking single classed, multiclassing clouds the matter)... Knoc, Reaver, Berserker, Plain Warrior, Dragon, Pally, Chaos warrior, Spearman. Not stricktly in that order either, there is room for movement based on the circumstances.

but in the end, it really boils down to experience and how well you know your class and the mobs in the world.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Mentioned Cleric above, but I have to say more:

I leveled cleric to 91 this week,and it is definitely the best tank of all of the classes I have tried.

I am convinced that they are the best tanks in game, assuming you accept the requisite that a tank must have the highest staying power.

Plate mail + Heals = Best tank.

The only thing to consider with this is that a cleric who is incapable of dishing out sufficient damage (say a single classed cleric at 100) may not serve as a great tank because the nukers in group would then pull aggro off of him due to him not holding the mobs on himself.

(However, a single classed anything would be no better).

Just my reiterated thoughts.
    -12-
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

I think this is an awesome thread on building a successful Tank. Enjoy [H][Y]

http://community.istaria.com/Web/Sho...px?PostID=8322

I have printed out large swathes of it and am currently reviewing it. Based on the information I'm rerolling a Dwarf tank.
    Fleshrend - Chaos Server
    94 Cleric 12 Warrior 10 monk 8 mage
    100 Blacksmith 100 Mason 91 tinkerer 100 Carpenter 100 Fitter 80 Scholar 73 spellcrafter 41 gatherer 49 Miner

Thread Information