Thread: "Attacks only" or what is wrong with spells

Default "Attacks only" or what is wrong with spells

Can anyone tell me why spells donnt count to attacks? Why we donnt get maxium dmg from elven ledership, why no bonus from static aura, why no bonus from aura of comand. why no bonus from natures fury, why no bonus from banners, why no bonus from energize, .... ?
    Please. Make spells be attacks and make the things you think they should not work with spells to something like " melee only, ranged only"
    Just 5 kinds we need.
    Attacks only: melee , bow/xbow and spells it should be.
    Ranged only: this effect works for bow/xbow
    Melee only: this effect works for melee
    Spells only: this effect works for spells
    Craft only: this effect works for craft (hope there will be somethink like speed or delay bonus on crystals if not in combat)

and if stuff like: abilitys only, incomming only should work with this 5 options
    Enisha Dryad 190/234 Caster (retired)
    Enix Dryad 165/100 Heavy Melee (retired)
    Enigma Dragon 100/92 Helian (retired)

Unity

Default Re: "Attacks only" or what is wrong with spells

Not a bad idea...but I think I know why spells aren't affected by things like max damage or increased accuracy, etc...First, perfect spell...When you can have a period where you cannot miss, you offset getting a small increase in accuracy...Second, the amount of damage caused bya max damaged multistrike or critical strike is nowhere near a max damaged dark cyclone or Triple teched multicast perfect spelled Flame Spear/Flame Bomb/whatever V...Third, spells get more types of techs such as adding more damage and types of damage to the spell...so really, the net gain in melee power caused by spells not being affected by 'attacks only' abilities isn't a lot...

Spells are powerful enough, imho...I don't doubt I'm going to get a flood of people disagreeing with me now

<Casts Flame Ward and Flame Resistance V>
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Overall I agree, but you made a mistake about Nature's Fury. That ability does increase damage for melee AND spells.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Have taken a mithril golem.
    Fired with energy bolt on it to half HP. ->100-130 dmg per hit.
    At half way to its death started nature fury. (112% dmg). ->100-130 dmg.

Next Golem.
    Bolts to half down. -> 100-130 dmg.
    Used energy burst. 114% dmg for energy spells. ->110-150 dmg

sure natures fury works with spells?

Unity

yup it does.. maybe you just got unlucky the first time

Pillaging the land and spreading Pandemonium Amongst Chaos
    Stranyr Al-Qroni
    Knight of Creation/Sorcerer
    GuildMaster of Pirates of Pandemonium

Quote Originally Posted by Eni
    Have taken a mithril golem.
    Fired with energy bolt on it to half HP. ->100-130 dmg per hit.
    At half way to its death started nature fury. (112% dmg). ->100-130 dmg.

Next Golem.
    Bolts to half down. -> 100-130 dmg.
    Used energy burst. 114% dmg for energy spells. ->110-150 dmg

sure natures fury works with spells?
    It says so right in the ability descriptions, attacks and spells. Also you can't predict results in a gaussian random number system unless you have mounds of data. With or without nature's fury there is a huge range and % chance to hit for a particular amount.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

"All group members ranged and melee will do greater damage"
    I cannt find spells in this text. Ranged = bow/xbow. And melee. nothing with spells there

Unity

Quote Originally Posted by Eni
    "All group members ranged and melee will do greater damage"
    I cannt find spells in this text. Ranged = bow/xbow. And melee. nothing with spells there
    I have found some of the ability descriptions to be somewhat ambiguous too. I would like for them to get a standard going where, for example, ranged means only ranged melee, and whatnot. basically what you said in the original post
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Nature's Fury is melee and ranged, but not spells.

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

not sure where people are getting this, but Nature's Fury has
    never added a bonus to spells.

edited to add: oops.. seems I was typing my
    reply just as you were posting yours, Amon...
    Got Cowbell?

Ah, misinterpreted that then. To me I've always read 'ranged attacks' as any offensive damaging ability/spell that had a range attribute. Knowing that's not correct has me rethinking a few things. Hmm..
    Is it today?
    "No."

Just an FYI here Fiery Strike V preceeded by Perfect Spell, Fusion Burn, And Multicast II, cast by a 100 lvl BTLM with 100 mage lvls in the bank, 1500+ power will out damage Dark Cyclone, Shining Blades or any other spell out there. For me it will one hit kill any critter 2k hp or less.

Techs I have on mine are burning damage V, flame damage V and flame range V. One hit kill at 45 meters. While any ability that might enhance this spell would be nice, ya aint gonna hear me complain, it really is unnecessary.

As I dont use any of the so-called Epic Spells, I dont the recycle time. Fiery Strike is under a minute. Do the math.

Abilities that enhance spell accuracy, damage or whartever are not needed at high lvls, IMO. A little something to get the low lvls over the hump wouldn't hurt tho.

<Removes Flame Resistance and Flame Ward V, knock yerselves out. I have a Teflon based diet :)>

Kwinn
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Quote Originally Posted by Kwinn
    Just an FYI here Fiery Strike V preceeded by Perfect Spell, Fusion Burn, And Multicast II, cast by a 100 lvl BTLM with 100 mage lvls in the bank, 1500+ power will out damage Dark Cyclone, Shining Blades or any other spell out there. For me it will one hit kill any critter 2k hp or less.

Techs I have on mine are burning damage V, flame damage V and flame range V. One hit kill at 45 meters. While any ability that might enhance this spell would be nice, ya aint gonna hear me complain, it really is unnecessary.

As I dont use any of the so-called Epic Spells, I dont the recycle time. Fiery Strike is under a minute. Do the math.

Abilities that enhance spell accuracy, damage or whartever are not needed at high lvls, IMO. A little something to get the low lvls over the hump wouldn't hurt tho.

<Removes Flame Resistance and Flame Ward V, knock yerselves out. I have a Teflon based diet [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]>

Kwinn
    /nitpick on
    actually I think firey strike is 1 min recycle, coupled with the range tech so 1:15sec I think.
    /nitpick off

and yes, firey strike is uber.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

I think Energize does make you cast faster. Maybe it's just my imagination.
    Ashtoreth, Order

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    Energizedefinately effects spells. You may be thinking of "Rapid Fire Stance" which ONLY effects Ranged (non-spell, non-melee, non craft) actions.

In fact, I am halfway convinced that Energize effects crafter actions as well as attacks/buffs.
    Energizedefinately does not effect spells. cast a spell. then use energize II and cast same spell again. Compare time. Both times same.
    Then cast gift of alacrity III and remove energize II. now cast same spell as above. Compare time. New cast time is shorter. Both are -15% delay. One in general and one atatcks only. But the attacks only donnt effect spells. Since merge and with the new definition at effects (attacks only and similar) nearly all effects that worked with spells premerge donnt do it any longer.
    And the big question: why?

Unity

yes. theft of live:
    normal delay 4.6sec.
    energize II (-15% dealy) 4.6sec
    alacrity III (-15% dealy) 4.0sec
    i hate to take a clock. but if i am unsure about feeling i do. ( sandbeetles rest in peace that died for getting this times).

but what i want to know why all (or nearly all) got changed to attacks only and why this does not include spells.

Unity

Thread Information