Thread: When all you have is a hammer...

Default When all you have is a hammer...

...everything looks like a nail.

Joe Warrior wanders around Istaria with a carpentry hammer in his hand and gets jumped by some mob. He oughtta be able to swing that hammer at at least half his 1hc value, but he can't. Many tools ought to be useable as emergency weapons against many mobs. (granted, a sewing needle shouldn't be one of them)

Wood axe, mining pick, fitting mallet...these things seem like they could be used to do some damage.

Perhaps they should only be useful against mobs that they are designed to work against...like wood axes and treants.

Default Re: When all you have is a hammer...

I've always thought that someone with 1200 logging skill and armed with a tree axe should be a treants worst nightmare...

and i really now some hammers and Axesi dont want to get hit with....;-)
    Kharuum / Caramia Unity
    Whenever an Optimist sees a ligth which isnt really there, there allways is an pesimist who blows it out.
    Giovanni Guareschi

1) Join monk (feel free to take some level - optional)
    2) Return your class
    3) You'll be able to kill stuff with mining picks etc.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Let's see. Impromptu weapons: mining pick, quarrying pick, stone chisel, masonry trowel (makes a nice, though serated, dagger), fitting mallet, carpentry hammer, tree axe, tanning blade, metalworking hammer, essence siphon (though must be cleaned afterwards if you decide to STAB with it), essence structurer (club), harvest knife.

Those have been the ones I've personally used.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

All the tools use the Unarmed Combat stats. You could probably tech a tool for unarmed combat if you wanted. Love killing things with a fishing pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Senkeleron Fell
    All the tools use the Unarmed Combat stats. You could probably tech a tool for unarmed combat if you wanted. Love killing things with a fishing pole.
    while your statement is factually correct, it is also off-topic.

The question is how to make those tools that are essentially specialized weapons (hammers, axes, some blades) more useful in combat. Not how to make your bare hands (and by extension any hand holding anything not designated a weapon) more useful in combat.

I have some monks lvls and I do fine against most lower lvl mobs with only harvest knife inhand. Have to lvl up my monk to do some damage against the higher lvl stuff, but monk unarmed skill does come in handy.

Tools are tools and weapons are weapons. There is no way other than lvlnig up your unarmed skills to make a tool a weapon. I think that is how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by cattoy
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Senkeleron Fell wrote:All the tools use the Unarmed Combat stats. You could probably tech a tool for unarmed combat if you wanted. Love killing things with a fishing pole.

while your statement is factually correct, it is also off-topic.

The question is how to make those tools that are essentially specialized weapons (hammers, axes, some blades) more useful in combat. Not how to make your bare hands (and by extension any hand holding anything not designated a weapon) more useful in combat.
    Well, if you had a hammer in your hand that was teched for Unarmed Combat, then technically, it is more useful in combat. I don't think it is going to get much farther than that.

does a tool teched with a trait that you don't have raise that trait? I was under the impression that it didn't.

Regardless, it strikes me as a little odd that a character with a 4 digit skill in 1hs and a 4 digit skill in logging (and no levels in monk) can have a mithril wood axe in hand and still do no more damage to a treant than if he'd slapped at it.

True, you do actually have to have some skill in unarmed combat (which apparantly also includes fighting with tools instead of weapons)

I don't think the designers intended the simulation to be quite that comprehensive, especially since it only takes a click of the mouse to equip a weapon from your inventory.

My iron, stell, cobalt and mithril mining picks killed many many creatures before I started to use handwraps hehe
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Spiders drop raw material to make cloth... A harvest knife would take a spiders legs off very nicely [:D]
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

Thread Information