As voiced by many others here, I think a flexible suit is the best route unless there was an extreme case (maybe you really like hunting wolves or golems and want a set of armor specifically for pierce or crush resistance). For hunting in general, you'll need something that can deal with a wide variety of incoming damage, especially regarding social mobs like the WA bipeds. They will utilize attacks across the spectrum and your armor should be suited to defend against all of them effectively.

As far as offensive techs, if you're more focused in a single attack method (like a berserker) I'd make sure my stats are very focused on hitting and dealing damage with my axe.

My main is primarily a caster across several schools, so my offensive techs are all very broad to assist in all casting (lot's of power and focus). The only adventure specific techs on my armor is Energy because I want my bolt to be dependable. I only use energy techs when there were no suitable stat techs to place on a given piece of equipment.