Thread: Disease me baby!

Silvanas_starlight

Default Disease me baby!

As a DnD player, what is up with no disease or poisoning? I think it would be interesting to have a mummy disease you or a monster with a stinger or claw poison you and get have the effects you have in other RPG's of poison or disease effects. Along with clerics having Cure Disease spell, Cure Poison, etc to attempt to cure thier party members. And potions as well. I know we have some monsters that hit you with similar effects, but would be fun to have some of the old school monster attacks :)
    Even have your character turn green and puke on party members lol :P

Default Re: Disease me baby!

:o
    Lol yeah, I was going to say, isnt there some disease theWA hit ya with?

But yeah it would be funny if we saw an effect from it... like slouching and puking... But then people would start "partying" near those mobs, puking on eachother and drinking. :P
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

Silvanas_starlight

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin
    [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]
    Lol yeah, I was going to say, isnt there some disease theWA hit ya with?

But yeah it would be funny if we saw an effect from it... like slouching and puking... But then people would start "partying" near those mobs, puking on eachother and drinking. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    LOL hell why not. Add getting drunk to HZ. We do have taverns after all. Why not use them as they should be used for, drinking, hitting on people, getting slapped, and bar brawls ;)

Last time we ran a disease (aka plague) people got really upset. [:'(]

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth
    Last time we ran a disease (aka plague) people got really upset. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img]

- Amon
    Only cuz it lasted FOREVER. :P

Silvanas_starlight

Last time we ran a disease (aka plague) people got really upset. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img]

- Amon
    Bah lol, bunch of sissy's ;)

Bring it on :D

Oh yeah, boy did they! [:(]

I remember the screaming started within just a few hours after the disease hit. And the unfortunate cases of grieving that happened due to it.

Good idea on paper, but it just didn't work out well.

Nellie Lovett/Ochre Tekton
    of Azure Twilight in Carmo on Order
    English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over & goes through their pockets for loose grammar. -=Paraphased from James Nicoll=- Unicorn's Lady's Dalliance

Yup, because the players behind the characters didn't wait "in field" for the effects to wear off. Recalling to towns to spread the disease (to other characters and NPCs).

Diseases are good and a viable weapon of the WA. They should return. Its spread takes advantage of the ease of travelling Recalling and using portals allow.

As I remember, there were two types of dehibiliating effects - just had to let them fade with time after the monsters were killed. Bring them back.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaraiden
    Yup, because the players behind the characters didn't wait "in field" for the effects to wear off. Recalling to towns to spread the disease (to other characters and NPCs).
    He's not refering to any mob given disease, he is refering to the plague unleshed by the efforts to rid Feladan of its blight. Morbis Morbidae or something like that. It didn't wear off.....ever! A kind Dragon *eyes Kumu* had to cure you of the disease. The disease portion of the event lasted a month or so with a final cure (quested potion preventing you from ever getting it again) being found after that month or so.

It just lasted too long, was extremely prone to griefing, and there was no recourse but to pester a dragon for a cure for most of it and some people can be downright rude when requesting a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn

It just lasted too long, was extremely prone to griefing, and there was no recourse but to pester a dragon for a cure for most of it and some people can be downright rude when requesting a cure.
    Bah! We found other recourse. Sure you ended up with a DP afterward, but it was worth it to many of us hardcore players rather than run around crying for and pestering a dragon to stop what they were doing just to lay a cure on us. Many a long walk off a short pier I took. As far as griefing goes, on a roleplay server it wasn't considered griefing. They were agents of the WA, sent forth to "save" us.It's all a matter of perspective. [;)]

Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    They could create a disease. And allow dragons to be immune to it, and be the ones who can cure the disease!
    It already exists, it's called macrohoardia and it's cured by letting a dragon perform a hoardectomy.

[*-)]hhmm... DnD?... [I] I know... lets roll our own dice and in put each individual roll and then we can determine how much damage we do when we fight a monster... then we can puke on it[:|][:S][;)]

I DnD also, but not for the same reasons I play this game. The idea has merit, but... [|-)] again... there are more pressing matters to complete.

BTW?... I believe the plague that is mentioned above?... was caused by the cleric quest to bring 'diseased wolf meat' to the cleric trainer... causing the toon to get the disease and thus spread it.... but I could be wrong.
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

yup, you are wrong...
    the disease you refer to was a cleric quest and not spreading, the other one affected everybody.
    She heard Nanny say: 'Beats me why they're always putting invisible runes on their doors. I mean, you pays some wizard to put invisible runes on your door, and how do you know you've got value for money?'
    She heard Granny say: 'No problem there. If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.'

Zimosis morbidea.
    Boy that was fun.
    spend a good two weeks sitiing in kion selecting bipeds and clicking the cure spell.
    A boring but satisfying two weeks.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

Well there are actually a few mobs that have abilities that cause poison like effects. At least the spiders do have the ability to poison, just it lowers stats rather than doing damage (sure hurts though when they knock down your strength to where you can't hurt them). Clerics do have Purify which cures everything. The only thing that is really lacking is visual displays of the symptoms like turning green. (which for some of us might not be a change).

The event diseases were horrible though. No need to bring that back.
    Gilresk Tesskril, Cleric and Armorer of Crai Aisling of Order
    Owner of the Mahagra Bed & Breakfast for Wayward Elves - Newly renovated in the Glaciers

They should do disease kind of like the Morrowind style. You hav a minor disease, a greater diseas, and an almost uncurable disease. The Major disease could be quested for components and stuff to cure them adn others that have it :)
    Dren Fire

If new diseases didn't spread from player to player, but only from mob to player, then there'd be a lot less whining about it. Here's a suggestion for a disease that makes undead a little more dangerous because even their 0 damage hits could affect you, and which needs both food and potions for doctoring.

Name: WA Wasting disease

Transmitted by: Zombies and Mummies (1% chance per hit landed on you, or maybe only 0.1%.)

Effect: Strength reduced by 1 point per disease tier every 5 minutes. Only while logged in. If strength reaches 0 you die.

Mitigated by: Food recovers 1 point of strength per tier of food item for each food eaten.

Cured by: Alchemist made potion containing some special components. The components should be things that are NOT used for teching anything. Catching higher tier version of disease removes lower tier version. Persists across death and resurrection, but resurrrection does bring strength back up to a minimum of 100 if it was less than that.

Example: A level 80 Mage is farming in the Northern Deadlands, manages to get whacked by Zombie, and has the misfortune to catch the tier III version of the Wasting Diseases. She starts to lose 3 points of strength every 5 minutes. Since she's a mage, she doesn't care a whole lot at this point. Two hours later, she gets killed during an event. Since she's got a couple of DPs already, she eats a bunch of tier V food to reduce the penalty. Each food also restores 5 points of strength lost from the disease. A few days later she starts to spend time levelling her weaponsmith school and the disease becomes a real annoyance, so she runs out and hunts a few tier III resources and takes them to an alchemist to have a cure potion made.

A Warrior or Paladin would be much more strongly affected by this disease, yet even at worst, the tier 6 version of the disease only removes 72 strength in an hour. You can't ignore it, but it's not going to ruin a short evening of play.

Similar diseases could affect other stats and be mitigated by food and cured by a potion. Some might work the other way, being offset by a stat boosting potion and cured by eating a specific set of food.

Ingo Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Paladin ++
    Nimah Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Warrior/Cleric
    Ogni Nosdracir - Chaos - Dragon Hatchling

correction: last timey'all ran a diseaseit got so many bugs in it, that got people upset.

Thread Information