From the Lunus ARoP walkthrough:

Lantenal tells you, 'As an ancient of the Lunus faction, your legacy lies in the magic of combat. Yes certainly in the past some of our finest healers have come from the Lunus line, primarily, however, the path of the Lunus is the path of domination. It is said that red or black gemstones often prove the greatest foci for combat magic, though the texts again speak in riddles as to the specific source you are to locate.
From the Helian ARoP walkthrough:

Lantenal tells you, 'As an ancient of the Helian faction, your legacy lies in the magic of healing and succor. Yes certainly in the past some of our fiercest warriors have come from the Helian line, primarily, however, the path of the Helian is the path of compassion. It is said that green gemstones often prove the greatest foci for healing magic, though the texts again speak in riddles as to the specific source you are to locate.
No, no no no no no NO! This better not mean what I think it does. Are there to be Lunus-only combat spells, and Helian-only healing spells? I would have thought they'd have learnt from the complaints over breath weapon being determined by faction. New abilities should not be determined by something some people decided a year ago. I do not want to have to make a new character, just so I can get access to the combat spells I've been wanting for my Helian Dragon since day one. Especially since it's always been AE / Tulga's line that Lunus = melee and Helian = caster. Heck, even the Ancient scales suggest this. Fortunately the quotes also seem to allow for learning the "other" magic, but I have this weird feeling those bits will be ignored when the final rewards are handed out...

Antonath