Thread: Bring back framerate smoothing...!

Amarthanc

Default Bring back framerate smoothing...!

Ygads, for the love of Drulkar, bring back the frame rate smoothing option! One of the things, if not THE thing that I liked best about this game was flying high above the landscape, soaring along smoothly. Now I've been away awhile, and I come back, take off, and find my flight twitches, shudders and sputters... it's depressing! [:@] Makes me want to cry!

I looked all over for the framerate smoothing option and found it missing. I've played with all the other settings but nothing helps... seems the stuttering video is caused by objects loading into view, no matter how close or far away they are. This game is billed heavily on the feature of flight, but now flight looks terrible. [:(]

Is there a thread somewhere around here I can look up where it is explained why framerate smoothing was removed? Possibly it was causing the combat animation backups that were causing some folks to lag-freeze in combat... but if that's the case, I'd rather have the option of turning off framerate smoothing when I know I'm going to be fighting, than not having the option at all.

Default Re: Bring back framerate smoothing...!

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but there is a line

float frameRateSmoothing = 1

in the file ClienPrefs_Main.def in the Horizons folder.

Amarthanc

It was an option, accessible from the options menu... which would be nice because then it could be turned on or off as you wished. But I will try messing with that setting and see what happens, thanks for finding it for me.

Amarthanc

editing float frameratesmoothing does nothing, and I've tried setting the values from 1 to 0 to 0.5 to 0.1 to 100.... no difference in performance whatsoever. I've also tried fiddling with other values that look related like loadingSpeedVsSmoothness and loadingMaxTimeSlice, but those seem to have no effect either. [^o)] Is anyone else experiencing this severely choppy framerate, especially dragons while flying, and have you found a way to fix it? If so I would love to know! The way flying looks to me now is so painful, it makes me want to quit... [:(]

I fly all the time with all settings but shadows turned to max (ATI cards bite with shadows) with my fugly chinese ATI imitation and it is smooth like silk.

And I did not open the pref files once. Maybe you just have a really slow or fragmented hard disk?
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Amarthanc

Nope, my disk is not slow... it's the same one I played on before when everything was silk-smooth for me too. Doubt that fragmentation has anything to do with it either, but I am freeing up about 15 gigs of space and I'll defrag afterwards just to see.

The one thing that changed I can think of other than the various patches that have happened since is I upgraded Direct X... I really hope that's not what's causing the problem though because rolling back DirX is a massive pain and I have other programs that won't run properly without the updated version. [:@]

Thread Information