Thread: Death Points

Default Death Points

They use to control my game play. I have an aversion to dying, for some strange reason. So, it limited my hunting to a point. However, since the advent of the ambrosia 7, my whole attitude has changed , and I feel secure now that I can simply eat an ambrosia to remove my dp. I have never had so much fun as I am having now, with hunting things I would never have tried prior.

Thanks ae, for giving us ambrosia 7, it sure has, really, enhanced my game play experience and allows me to go out and hunt some higher level monsters without having +10 dps. Heh[;)]

Default Re: Death Points

yes now all they need to do is increase the ability to harvest EOB at more than 4 every 2 to 3 hours heh ;).

Ambrosia is neat and all, but it has a severe downside.

With it, there is no point to have food anymore. No need to have all those recipes, since one serving does the trick.

I tend to think it is a little excessive. I never liked having Ambrosia for that one reason, and the Ambrosia vendors were just a complete deterrent to an already difficult class.

I hope they really consider this problem when they get around to reviewing/finishing the Confectioner class.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus
    Ambrosia is neat and all, but it has a severe downside.

With it, there is no point to have food anymore. No need to have all those recipes, since one serving does the trick.

I tend to think it is a little excessive. I never liked having Ambrosia for that one reason, and the Ambrosia vendors were just a complete deterrent to an already difficult class.

I hope they really consider this problem when they get around to reviewing/finishing the Confectioner class.
    I am leveling conf now to make Amb VII for our guild (previous confs are gone).
    I did notice just what you said.

There are 3 real problems.
    1) food being sold
    with only 10 items per connie, why bother selling it. I can't put the range of foods on a connie, and at best with 10 foods that is 1 hour reduction, so . . . Why bother, better to PB them to get them out of my inv and pay for all the porting I have to do to get the components.

2) food being bought
    Food takes up bulk, and to use food (not ambrosia) takes a good amount of food to do the same thing one "serving" of ambrosia does. So food doesn't sell, and rightly so, who wants to keep around all the types of food, in multiple doses vs servings of ambrosia.

3) cost of food vs ambrosia.
    With ambrosia VII selling for about 14S a servering, all the food that does the same thing has to go for less. So that is multiples of the same food that have to be eaten over time to get the same value as Ambrosia VII and has to cost less to make people want to buy it. But then they have to travel to several connies to get it.

So food as it is now is pretty silly and only really used for leveling to get to Ambrosia.

I make lots and lots and lots of food, PB it (to get rid of it and pay for the porting).

Also, making food is really silly as you have to go all over Istaria to collect it, and usually the processing machines are no where near the resources (now that doesn't make sense!)

Stoneware in Dralk? Kiln in racial cities (except dragons) so collect recall repeat. Feels kind of like how the dragons did with dragon scale forges. They finally got some relief, so we can hope confectioners do to.

But yeah finally lifting the cap for Ambrosia VII is a good thing.

And I guess it is good that Ambrosia is relatively difficult to make, and confection relatively difficult class to do (unless you have done tinkerer first) so it keeps it relatively rare.

Though the price for effort compared to other classes is low, but that is the "confectioner's problem". 14S for Ambrosia VII vs 1s per applied construction material makes Ambrosia seem like a steal (sold for 50s on Ambrosia dealers!)

But what do you do!

Hope for confection love soon (after ARoP, after Lairs. . . . . . . ) with Kilns that can be build (and have skill bonuses) and other touches that would be nice.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

I take it back maybe EOB should be very rare.

Anyway they could make food like WoW. When you eat some types you get a buff thats JUST as USEFUL as what a player can cast on you.

Then you would see more need for food. So yeah with Ambrosia the confectioners really do not need to bother with food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagain
    Anyway they could make food like WoW. When you eat some types you get a buff thats JUST as USEFUL as what a player can cast on you.
    I agree. I think ambrosia should be the only items to deal with deathpoints. Let food give stat, skill ect. boosts.
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

There are already a number of foods that provide buffs-

beef pasty - +19 strength - 3 minutes
    gruok wurst - +19 dexterity - 3 minutes
    candied carrots - +19 focus - 3 minutes
    spun sugar - +8 speed - 3 minutes
    candied apples - +10 to 15 dex and +5 to 15 evasion - 2 hours
    pumpkin pie - +10 to 25 health - 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Senkeleron Fell

What I would like to see in food is things that are semi-alchemic, but different.

So let Alchemy be Alchemy and confection be different.
    Some interesting options would be foods that

1 shot cleanse (eat a cherry pasty to cleanse).
    1 shot bursts (as in the spun surgar/beef pasty). The real problem here is the bulk it takes to carry these.

Now the reason the food isn't created (the food listed above) is because everyone and their brother has enough levels of cleric to cast the same buffs the food does. So why buy food that you can buff yourself with. So only dragons would find it useful, but the dragons I give food to complain about the bulk and would rather be buffed.

Also, food (beef pasty and such) uses up a gift slot vs the alchemy not using it. So if you buff and use alchemy you get both. Food on the other hand (in many cases) uses up a gift slot (the speed one doesn't and I don't remember which ones do).

And lastly all the foods listed above are festival foods, and their formulas are only available now and again so if you weren't around at the fall harvest, or the winter festival you don' thave the forms.

Ultimately food is a strange ticket. It is kind of in the bad place. Mostly right now it is used for DP management, with some "benefit" from festival formulas. Though most the festival formulas are not worth the effort to make (they don't stack with buffs, they take up bulk, they have short durations). And finally adding value to confection could dilute the Alchemey line.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Candied apples and pumpkin pie effects take up a gift slot, and are about the level of Tier 1 Gifts. Useful for newbies and some midlevels who can't buff themselves (Dragons?). However, newbies can't afford it unless you pretty much give it away.

The other effects do not stack with other buffs, and have the effects of Tier 1 Enhances. Similar problem with newbies. Spun sugar is about the most useful of them.

Personally, I would rather see percentage increases, rather than flat rate increases, and have them stack. Potions stack, food should too.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Senkeleron Fell

heh thats it ?

the only ones useful from this list are the spun sugar and Candied apples. They need to have some that are a bit better and will stack with the raise and enhance series of buffs. That would make food truly useful.

That would make food, potions.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Even if the confectioners end up encroaching on the potions' territory, alchemists still make things that confectioners don't, e.g. dyes. And with the ability to dye new items in development, there will be more demand for dyes than before.

Food, as described above, has even less demand than ever before.

In addition to the Ambrosia problem, there exists a larger fundamental problem with DPs and the confectioner class.

Time is their enemy. No other class in the game gets their work done for them. But in the case of confectioners, time passing does their work for them. In essence, a confectioner has a limited window of opportunity for their market to find them or their wares. Wait a little too long and the DP is gone. That never happens to armorsmiths, weaponsmiths or spellcrafters.

Havinga toon who is a lvl 75 confectioner, I can say with a little bit of knowledge, that now that Ambrosia 7 works for all lvls the only food anyone ever asks for is the soups required for the Shining Blades quest. While this is, in fact, not a good thing, I know that adventurers heartily applaude the upgrade for Ambrosia 7, and I won't complain too much. However, I can't see how that helped the confectioner trade at all, considering from just my view of guild activities, people would rather craft off the death points than worry about Ambrosia. I have a stockpile of Ambrosia 7 I made for the guild shortly after they gave us the upgrade, out of 92 Ambrosia, I still have 78 left. My guild might be the exception, but I believe after months of being stuck with either endless eating of food to remove a death point, or merely crafting until it went away, that we, as a whole, are stuck in that mentality. So where does that leave confectioners? Broke and without a purpose until an adventurer goes crazy in the Eastern Deadlands and wracks up a few death points, then goes in search of Ambrosia. Confectioner is not a safe, stable career for certain. Is there any wonder I decided to switch to alchemist?
    I am Dryad, here me squeak... I am KNoC, see me slay.
    Syllis SunFlower.

hate to say it but the Death Penalty in this game is carebear enough as it is.

now death literally means nada.

I can't imagine a confectioner being broke. Not with pawnbrokers around, anyway.

Now, if you had to rely on the playebase for financial support, that would be different.

Thread Information