Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many new races...I would like to change mine

Default So many new races...I would like to change mine

I am wondering how many of you who have been playing from near the beginning besides me is wondering why we cann't change our toons skins? Back when I started we did not have many choices at what race to choose. After freeing so many I would like to be a different one then human. Of course we want to keep all we have.

Wouldn't that be good to be able to have at least one time to change? If there will be more races then I would like to wait untill all have been released. That way we could have a full selection to choose from :)

In my humble opinion, this would be a great reward for us long time people.

Default Re: So many new races...I would like to change mine

Freed so many? I count 2 races as freed; Dryad and Satyr. Additionally, what stops you from creating a 2nd character to play one of the freed races?
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

*Mind explodes trying to comprehend*

Make sense! Please! I can't understand anything you say!
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

I notice you are on order..how do you role play a race change?

We were never limited in race selection when we started, 2 races have been added since release (technically 3 as adult dragon is a different race).

Personally I would prefer an option to alter my characters existing physical appearance such as adding a beard, changing hair style or colour, portliness, muscularity (face/head would be great in my case but that would require plastic surgery..If you know any plastic surgeons in istaria let me know).

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

I didn't think it'd be possible to undo such harsh plastic surgery such as yours Zod.. [:P]
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

aww [:'(] leave me and my mangled face alone
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Besides what Zodias stated on the Role-Play aspect you do have more then 1 character slot available to play. Make a new character.
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

I think what she is asking for is to keep all of her skills, and just switch to a more advantageous race without doing any work herself...Making a new character would involve effort, and we just don't want that...:P

(Sorry if I come off as a jerk, but that's how I see it)
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

But.. but... I already GOT a race change. You see, I'm really a half-giant, just really, really short for my race <giggles>

Seriously, as a long term player, I gotta ask why? Within 1 month of launch we all knew satyrs were coming and could have planned accordingly by keeping at least 1 character slot open from the 5 we're given. Within 6 months after launch, dryads were released but we knew they were coming before the satyrs were released...
    SOOooo, if you again, used up all 5 of your character slots knowing that these races were coming and going to be playable, why should you now have the option of changing races?

Boggles the mind sometimes, ya know? [;)]

Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Quote Originally Posted by LaiAhna
    I am wondering how many of you who have been playing from near the beginning besides me is wondering why we cann't change our toons skins?
    Based on that sentence, I'm hoping she means just changing the player model skin - like the setscale command.. If her intentions are otherwise, my support is lost.
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

Krald

Race changes are very bad ideas. It would be incredibly unsettling to see a half-giant magically turn into a dryad, or a gnome into a satyr.

Your race is part of who you are to others, and to change like that you cease to be who you once were.

Now maybe I could accept it if it also included a name change, and a penalty to levels in order to discourage it from being a regular thing (ie like, losing 5-10 levels off every class) however I am strongly opposed to race changes and I feel they should never ever be allowed.

what's a good lore-ish name for a new craft for a class to dorace change?

if successful, yougnome will become that human you've always wanted to be.

if the operation fails, you become a dragon.

I dont understand this post. If you want a different race, make one. If you want a different skin color/type, make one. You are not limited to 1 toon and you can delete the ones you dont like.

Having the same skills? I have read several times it only takes a dragon 2 weeks to get through RoP ora biped to 100 - 3 or 4 weeks. Again I dont understand this post.
    Aegis BlightMaker, Gnome of the First Order

visiting times vari

Hey it only takes three weeks to get to 100 as a bi ped? Who didnt tell me that? Look at all the time i could have saved. I could have went to istarian college of plastic surgery and been able to do race and sex changes. I would be rich and i could have removed that ugly wart for Phillip. At no Charge Phillip I like ya
    Warsong
    Paladin/Healer

Don't cry because its over,Smile because it happend

So many negative posts here. I am even called lazy. Just because I wanted a new look. Why not a new toon? Because I like playing with 2. The only reason for 2 is because the dragon is so different to play. You say people would not recognize me after? Well I hardly recognize anybody now as we all look the same except for race and colors. As a human female. I look like tons of others in the game. Same hair and all.No I was not thinking of changing to get a better race to give me any better advantages. I was thinking of being a dwarf because I love the stone so much. As for role playing....have you not heard of people being changed by spells before? What about the story of the prince who was changed into a frog? Or how about beauty and the beast?

This is supposed to be a fantasy place. Is it not? Why not a magic spell or enchantment that can do it then? Must you be so harsh about others wishes? I asked about the chance to choose this. Not to make you do it. So you are so happy with yourself. Then just stay the same. No problem. But, why slam me for wanting it? Skins are easily changed and take little time or effort.

I think the reason people are slamming you is that you want to have "advantages" without working for them.

As a side note, if you get your dragon in 2 weeks to RoP ready...you're getting a lot of assistance or you didn't sleep for those two weeks.
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Long long before beta, there was one mention by a dev in a chat (no, there's no way I could dig this out now, either trust me or not) where they made passing mention of allowing people to change their race. I suspect it's because theyadopted thephilosophy of,to a fairly great extent, keeping everyone from having to make permanent irrevocable choices.

Anyway, they were flamed in the boards for obvious reasons -- it kind of destroys the RP, race means nothing, if it's easy then things really go down the tubesetc. I was one of the ones who didn't think changing race is a good idea and I still don't. There was a followon that if they did it it wouldn't be easy and I've never heard anything since.

I think there need to be a few basic irrevocable decisions and once you make them you're stuck with them for that character. Race seems to be the most fundamental. If you want to try a different race, that's why you have several character slots.

However, I DO think there's a lot to be said for letting people change their appearance to some degree short of changing race. Hair style, beard etc. I think should be changeable. They could even have a crafter class of hair stylest. More drastic changes -- short of changing race -- might be explainable if they're not easy. People can gain weight, loose weight, exercise, stop exercising etc. They could postulate some sort of magic which lets you change even more including height andskin color, and also let the dragons change their appearance. Basically at that point they put you back into the character customization screen exceptyou can'tchange race or name.Drastic changeswould obviously have to be very difficult no matter what your level or resources. Perhaps changing hair style would be easier.

I'm not certain but I have seen where some people have played around with the textures and edited thier own appearences (to themselves) If wanting to change your appearence so you can pick yourself out of a crowd is the reason, then dig up that post and learn how to edit the textures.

I don't believe we should be able to change races or drastic changes to appearences. However, what I would like to see is changes caused by elements in the game. Scars from death, bruises from battles, etc... But with all the other problems the game has,I don't expect to see those anytime soon, if ever.

Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Hmm .. I suppose a one time option to be able to select a new race for you char wouldn't be so bad (I'm sure it will never happen though). I would surely be tempted, but doubt I would just because I like the human race and tend to stick with it as my choice for my chars.

However, I would like to see some kind of useful vet rewards for long time players (kinda like uo did).
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

I am all for modest appearance changes [ once every 3 months maybe ]. Especially with dragons as when they 'age' their appearance changes drastically and how one 'molds' the appearance of a hatchling doesn't always transfer well to adult.

As to race change, no I don't agree with that on the basisthat was already stated [ it's one of those choices in life you can't go back and fix ].
    As to the numerous "just make a new character" comments...I agree in one sense [ I play 5 toons of 4 races ]. On the other hand there is an underlying theme to those responses that suggeststakeing a new toon to the level of your old is quick and easy. Not everyone PLs their toons and for those that don't a year old character is going to take another year to develop as a different race.
    The ascertion that she just wants to "switch to a more advantageous race" may or may not be true. Dwarf is certainly more advantageous in combat than Human. That there are more adavantageous racials is a problem with game balance and serves as a poor reason to deny this request. If I played a human I would be highly miffed by the pathetic racial Horizons has bestowed upon them. I wouldn't blame a player with human toon 1 bit for wanting to switch to a 'better' race. Still don't agree with allowing it though.

Thread Information