Is there a reason why ever since the server merge,
    crafted items no longer display the Crafter's name,
    and no longer carry any customizedtitle given them
    by their creator?

I think removing these features dimishes the sense
    of pride in crafting...
    Got Cowbell?

Default Re: Devs ~ Question about "generic" crafted items

I'm not positive, but I do remember after merge that all items had their 'crafted by' field changed to the owner of the item. Guessing the original info was lost in the character copying, so they just dropped the field altogether to get rid of the bug and free up some database space. Only a guess.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Yea, items should defenatly display the crafters name.
    I care less about the title, but it would also be nice to see them on t5 (t4 misses them too?) items.

yep Hal...

I remember that as well... still, removing a
    valued feature in lieu of fixing a bug... well...

not good
    Got Cowbell?

I agree. A fine solution to the scam of renaming a junk item to look great was to keep it generic when linked (ie my sword Melody shows as Fine Mithril Two-Handed Sword of Slashing, eg) and in the trade window. There was no need to go further and convert it to generic after trading; the receiver could always rename it if desired.

Maybe there should be a toggle the holder can use to flip the thing back to generic, in case the original description is forgotten.

And the inscription ... used to be, I could make something for a friend, inscribe something poetic, and watch their eyes light up when they read it. Now I have to tell them what it says and they have to re-type it if they want to keep it.

As to the crafter's name on an item -- that was marvelous. I treasured my Gronar shoulder pads. Then we merged, and they became Levity shoulder pads. Hmmph. I've never sewn a stitch, I'm a smith pure and simple. Metal, stone, wood, that's all I work with.

So yes, TG folk, was it deliberately changed? If so, why?

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP by Aiya's pad
    100 Blacksmith/79 Fitter/45 Mason/45 Carpenter/100 Reaver/52 IceD

PS to those of Order -- if you want pride in something you've made, check out my contest announcement for Istaria's prettiest lot, in the Order forum.

exactly Levity...

Way back before I was an accomplished crafter myself,
    it was a kick getting items crafted by friends, and showing
    off the clever titles we concocted... fun stuff... I miss that
    Got Cowbell?

On the issue of customized names being stripped on trade, I agree with Levity here... I'm a big fan of giving tools custom names to patrons, and really hated to see the custom names get stripped after a trade.

The best solution to me would to allow items to keep custom names and inscriptions during trades (not consignments) and to display the actual item names instead of a custom name in the trade window. The link window already works this way, the actual item name is displayed when linked in chat, and when someone clicks the hyperlink they get the custom name. It'd be a nice change if player to player trades worked the same.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

The crafter's name should be there. Indeed, items made pre-merge lost their crafter names, but anything made since then should display it. (looks) I see they're not, and will investigate.

As for stripping custom names, that was done intentionally (long ago). I'll start a discussion hereas to whether that should be undone.

thanks for addressing this Smeg...

crafter names are most definitely NOT being displayed.

And put me down for a strong AYE vote for reinstituting
    customized names for crafted items

Got Cowbell?

It's been many months that item crafted did not display the name of the crafter, although there are a few exceptions. My original thought when I saw the changes was that they were trying to compact the database a little bit.

Are all the items out there that were crafted in the meantime going to reflect the original crafter once this is fixed? Or is that lost.

Zvah

While your at it can ya make potions and dyes display the name too? sounds like good advertising ;)

(I supose food should have it aswell)

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    crafter names are most definitely NOT being displayed.
    I'm not sure about this. I know for a fact that I looked up the crafter on a tool this weekend. It's not in the link info anymore (which it used to be, if I remember correctly), so you have to have the item in your inventory or someplace else right-clickable.

I don't remember how I got to the info, I'll play around with it when I get home tonight.

I'm talking about newly created items Kengar...
    crafter name is not displaying on anything I
    have made for several months now....
    Got Cowbell?

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    I'm talking about newly created items Kengar...
    crafter name is not displaying on anything I
    have made for several months now....
    Correct, and I confirmed that was the case when I got home. However, since the older stuff still shows the crafter, this means one of two things:
    1. It's not a display issue at all, the crafter isn't being set when the item is created, or
    2. The crafter is being set, but in a different way, and the display code hasn't been updated to reflect the new way.
    I believe it's 1, 2 only if unintentional, as I suspect that they wouldn't want two different ways to have to look up the same information.

Thread Information