Thread: "Me level 10 now won't get full exp off flies"

Default "Me level 10 now won't get full exp off flies"

I just wanted to point out somethingin regards to the rating offset experience change (which isn't quite on Blight yet, Illyist was a bit misinformed about that, but it'll be there soon, likely tomorrow).

Higher rating characters can still group up with lower ratings and help them get experience. What has changed is they can no longer do this by killing monsters that are ofno danger to them yet are higher rating than the other character(s) in the group. Basically, you must fight something that is a challenge in order to gain experience (for anyone in the group).
    It's late to implementthose overdue changes but anyway you are doing a bold (for Horizons) move into more generally industry standards.

Now, for the people that sees this like it's the end of the world, it is not.
    Horizons with its completely screwed up experience rule sets and the limited if any reward for effort, and encouraging "one man party" adventures, falls short in attracting and then keeping new people.

Playing any correctly done game you'll notice how the "I can kill mobs 30 levels above me" statements are complete non sense, and likewise being able to even damage them is against even pretty old standards of even single player games like BG2. You did not kill a level 25 mob in BG2 as level 10 anything, period. Nor in other games, else the very concept of being of a lesser or bigger level becomes pointless. Moreover being able to kill or get exp off so grossly different level mobs will abnormally fast level up the character. Ever heard about people complaining that "just" every 5 levels they have to upgrade their weapon? It's a sign that they level so fast due to game short circuits that getting 5 levels are seen as a little issue, much smaller than tossing 5s to get a weapon IV.

Of course once the game will implement standard practices in the ways of dealing with mobs (experience and damage wise etc.) people will just quit it, bored and disgusted.

Why? Because it's a Bad Thing to reset the experience rate of players to sane values (sane = 1, 2 levels a day is more or less as done in other games) but not give them content to spend their time on while killing the mobs for hours to no end, in a seemingly worsening trend (worse because they won't see that redoing the game mechanics is good in the long term but just the immediate less "fun" and speed at levelling up).

Failing giving the content keeps Horizons as just a giant, epicgrinding machine.
    Some passionate grinders are ok with it, but the remaining vocal minority of 95% of remaining perspective playersare not [;)] (and they remain that: perspective players: try it, get bored with it, toss it in a week).
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Default Re: "Me level 10 now won't get full exp off flies"

my great googly moogly !!!

Someone who gets it !!!

I could care less that this was changed it was something that needed to happen. Yes it almost to late in the game to do this but still a nescessary change.

But they failed to see the reason why people powerlevel... that is because well normal adventuring is BORING my god is it HORRIBLE. I have played many many MMO's and never have I been so bored as I have in HZ when adventuring normally. Why ? all you do is grind and there is no purpose no content with which ti play in. Someone said in the other thread that there is content you just have to look for it. Wrong !! when I log in I should NOT have to scratch my head at what to do BECAUSE there is NOTHING to do I should be scratching my head because there is SO MUCH to do which isn't the case in Horizons. So when I log in now I have two options. Grind yet more completely pointless crafting levels and continue to make Grim a one man crafting army... yay mine mine mine make tools and deconstruct 10 million of them.. what fun.. NOT !! without a reason why anyway. I am not needed to repair weapons and armor after a kwellen invasion I am not needed to repair tools after long use... I am not needed for anything so whats the point ? OR I can solo my warrior becase 1 no one in my guild is at my rating and if there are they are never on when I am and 2 pickup groups do not exist in HZ say if you go to the flies. So I must solo... why ? there are no quests and mky only option now is to fight monsters at my rating and levele extremely slow or fight monsters at my current class level and grind for trophies... which is even slower and even more boring. Whats the point ? There are no border WA patrols to ambush there are now WA forts and fortresses to invade and conquer. Invasions ? those get old very fast and they lag me out. So whats my purpose in GRINDING out adventure levels when there is no purpose and no reason to other than kill that pesky tier 5 resource mob gaurdian a bit quicker. There is NO content to play within.

Thank you for posting this because it articulates this games serious achilles heel. People are returning yes but they get bored fast and leave just as quickly. I see it every day in game. So make changes like this and make the basic data entry changes that you have been but my goodness add content as well. The revamp of Lesser aradoth is nice but I fear the progress is to slow to stem the tide of " Im bored time to go back to mmo game X "

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh
    Some passionate grinders are ok with it, but the remaining vocal minority of 95% of remaining perspective playersare not [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img] (and they remain that: perspective players: try it, get bored with it, toss it in a week).
    99% of all statistics are made up.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Theolaerynn
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Vahrokh wrote:Some passionate grinders are ok with it, but the remaining vocal minority of 95% of remaining perspective playersare not [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img] (and they remain that: perspective players: try it, get bored with it, toss it in a week).
    99% of all statistics are made up.
    yup thats why I go by pure observation which never lies ;)

ok, so far a few things said here make sense to me.

Like the fact that we need something to do, while changes are implemented.
    and that unlike other games, things are way to easy and lacking in purpose.

However, change MUST come to arrive at an improved game experience. Too many times changes are attempted, to be shouted down by the very ones complaining about the reason for such changes. Once players get used to something, if it gets changed, ( even to improve the overall game ) it will be viewed as a nerf. So, lets look at the constructive points and see what effect they could have.

Take the idea of armor and weapons that wear out and need repair. If implemented across the board on all armor and weapons, it's effect would be a constant exchange of commerce between crafters and adventurers. Forget about blighted crap. That has not worked and is basically unused by the majority of players. Just make regular items need repair after so much time. Don't require comps to repair, just simple resources like orbs and bars. If setup carefully, it could do much to rebalance the economy, and make things like the vielo obsolete.
    It looks like they are indeed trying to balance the game back into more industry standard concepts, just they are doing it more slowly than those that have waited so long seem to be able to take. The changes to LA are a great start in making the "right" kind of improvements.

Much of the discontent is from long time players. If the LA changes are pulled off well, then any new players will enter a game much like we did back in the day. If the other changes take place, then it will improve the game for such new ones and hopefully, make the future of HZ more secure.

Change MUST take place. Wether it's good or bad is dependant upon your personal viewpoint. For me, it's enough to stick around to see what happens next. Actually, I'm getting kinda excited...[;)]
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

I too would welcome the idea of armour, weapons and tools that actually can wear out.

It would create interaction between adventurer and crafter; go check out West Bank forge in UO to see this.

I have always found it a little odd that things never seem to get well used or actually wear outbut thought it quitenicethat I didn't need to pay for new things if I had forgotten to get them repaired before they finally broke. I suppose if it is introduced I would need to stop preening my ears and pay my armour more attention.....

I would not see it personally as a big deal if this was to be introduced as it may give the crafters more options than they currently have as already suggested.

Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    ok, so far a few things said here make sense to me.

Like the fact that we need something to do, while changes are implemented.
    and that unlike other games, things are way to easy and lacking in purpose.

However, change MUST come to arrive at an improved game experience. Too many times changes are attempted, to be shouted down by the very ones complaining about the reason for such changes. Once players get used to something, if it gets changed, ( even to improve the overall game ) it will be viewed as a nerf. So, lets look at the constructive points and see what effect they could have.
    Here is the problem.

If they make this change, and remove what little there is to do in Istaria without adding anything it is a bad move. Plain and simple.

As I bet this is going in with no new content, it is bad.

I also feel that if this change (i.e. slow people down) is implemented, it just adds to the grind. Plain and simple.

Also, if the ideas is that people have to earn their advancement, I would suggest a change much like this one to quests. i.e. people have to do their quests, in that they have to do their quests no sit while others do it.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

It's never a bad time to plug an exploit. Better done before release but better late then never. Yes people will have to get used to getting by without cheating, but better that then have the game messed up forever more which is the only alternative.

And those who DON'T use powerleveling exploits won't even notice the change. Except that there will be fewer high levels who don't know their %$#@ from a hole in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax
    It's never a bad time to plug an exploit. Better done before release but better late then never. Yes people will have to get used to getting by without cheating, but better that then have the game messed up forever more which is the only alternative.

And those who DON'T use powerleveling exploits won't even notice the change. Except that there will be fewer high levels who don't know their %$#@ from a hole in the ground.
    How is this a cheat? Or an Exploit?
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Staff :: Developer

This is great feedback, all. Thanks for coming to the Blight boards and creating this discussion! Keep it up,we're listening.
    ~Illyist
    ~Aru

Thread Information