Thread: Is there an Online version of HCC anywhere??

Default Is there an Online version of HCC anywhere??

Dont you hate it when you are at work and you cannot install anything because of network policy :)

Well I wanted to spec out a full set of jewelry so I can start collecting all the comps, materials, and offer someone on Order 200 silver if they make my jewelry for me, but I cannot start to put it together yet.

Does anyone know of a site that would have an online verison for something like Horizons Crafting Calculator?

Just curious if anyone has seen one that I have not noticed yet?
    16 100 crafting classes....getting closer

Default Re: Is there an Online version of HCC anywhere??

Was considering working on one for a number of reasons, not the least of which for those a little too paranoid to install unknown untrusted stuff on their systems.

Trouble is, it would require re-keying all the data, unless someone was willing to donate it. [:)]

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

imported_Silowyi

The HCC used XML did it not? Such information wouldn't be too difficult to import into an online calculator. It could probably be done entirely with xsl.

You missed my point.

Yes, taking whatever data is in HCC and importing it into a web-based version would be trivial.

However, doing so without being given permission to do so would be tantamount to STEALING. Though I don't think Vanaondo can claim copyright to the data itself, I think the copyright on compilations does apply. Regardless, it is kinda tactless to "just take it" without permission.

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Matecuss

I've mentioned this before that the data used by HCC is free to be used by other applications as long as it is credited so. Alot of players have spent their own time in accumulating this data (and still do) and it would only be fair on them to be acknowledged. There is currently a newer format being generated for version 2 that improves efficiency by a considerable amount, so it may be worth waiting for these to be converted/generated.

I'm much rather you didn't imply my program was untrustworthy, especially considering when I've spent the best part of a year working on both versions. It makes use of established Microsoft subcomponents (which are by default in XP, just not in some of the earlier O/Ss), nothing more. In fact I'd say alot more web plugins/scripts are more dangerous. The source itself has been made available to a group of players/developers who have contributed alot to this community, so you can be assured that nothing untowards is contained within.

Btw, Vanaondo provided the packaging of the later versions and changes to some of the xml files.

Quote Originally Posted by Matecuss
    I'm much rather you didn't imply my program was untrustworthy, especially considering when I've spent the best part of a year working on both versions. It makes use of established Microsoft subcomponents (which are by default in XP, just not in some of the earlier O/Ss), nothing more. In fact I'd say alot more web plugins/scripts are more dangerous. The source itself has been made available to a group of players/developers who have contributed alot to this community, so you can be assured that nothing untowards is contained within.
    He wasn't implying that your software is untrustworthy, just that there are some people out there who won't trust it. Don't take it personally... some people just won't install anything that doesn't come from a major software company.

Me? I love it. Good work. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Matecuss
    I've mentioned this before that the data used by HCC is free to be used by other applications as long as it is credited so. Alot of players have spent their own time in accumulating this data (and still do) and it would only be fair on them to be acknowledged. There is currently a newer format being generated for version 2 that improves efficiency by a considerable amount, so it may be worth waiting for these to be converted/generated.
    OK. Is there anything in the data files which indicates this (such as a copyright statement), or can someone get a direct email from you stating what your license is? A forum post really doesn't work well for permission purposes.

I'm much rather you didn't imply my program was untrustworthy, especially considering when I've spent the best part of a year working on both versions.
    As glibdud most aptly put it, I did not say nor imply anything about the trustworthiness / untrustworthiness of your program. Some people have been burned in the past by third-party apps that stole passwords and other personal information off of their systems, so they naturally avoid them like the plague. For them, and those who can't install applications on their systems (like the OP), a web app would be better.

In fact I'd say alot more web plugins/scripts are more dangerous.
    Aye, but one doesn't need web plugins/scripts on the client-side for a web app to have similar functionality. Thus, that is a mute point.

The source itself has been made available to a group of players/developers who have contributed alot to this community, so you can be assured that nothing untowards is contained within.
    Just my suggestion here, but you probably ought to Open-Source it.

Btw, Vanaondo provided the packaging of the later versions and changes to some of the xml files.
    OK. I mentioned Vanaondo because he's the one that posts about it. I've never downloaded or even looked at it myself, so I didn't know who the author was.

Matecuss

I understand what you are saying, I just found it disheartening to find it discussed alongside untrustworthy programs - its been used for over a year now without any issue (except those pesky bugs). It's probably more of a rant than anything [:O]

There is no such license needed or required for using the data. I trust that anyone wanting to use it will do so, andprovide acknowledgement. I wouldn't want them to go through the hassle of generating such data - it isn't fun and your not playing the game. Its not as if its making money (or will do) for anyone, or will be used as thebasis for the next presidential speech.

I've thought about open-source, but for this application I can't see the advantage to it, just the downsides. I've not found anyone yet wanting to contribute to it codewise, and by nature, I presume any variant coding I'll be taking responsibility for....and I don't want anything malicious put in, and then packaged by someone as the next hcc+1. For now I think it's sufficient to leave it available to the group of developers/contributors that arcat had set up (which is in no way exlusive). I'm sure if someone was serious in providing a web based version then they would be invited with open arms to the forums.

Thread Information