Thread: Adventure Rating (AR) for Noobs

dagoo7

Default Adventure Rating (AR) for Noobs

Played a long time ago around launch and checking out again for a bit. However, I have completely forgotten how AR works and its implications for lvling and can't seem to find basic info anywhere. Was hoping some kind soul could point me toward a useful resource/explanation of the basics of AR mechanics. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Adventure Rating (AR) for Noobs

Kumu being a dragon is the foremost source of knowledge on what AR does....

AR affects the XP you earn when killing mobs and is an approximation although completely inaccurate of your characters strength.

If you fight mobs at the same rating as you the xp reduction will not be highly noticible but if you are fighting mobs below your rating and closer to your level you will notice you earn less xp.

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

When I switched from 100 Reaver to 1 Monk, my Rating was in the low 50's. And I could do almost nothing to harm Gold Golems, which matched my rating. Now I am a 54 Ice Disciple and rated in the 70's, and still cannot really hurt things at my rating. The anti-PL patch may be my doom ...

But I chose the new class for RP reasons, not for game mechanics. There are far more suitable class pairings that are not quite so gimped by rating.

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP by Aiya's pad
    100 Blacksmith/79 Fitter/45 Mason/45 Carpenter/25 Scholar/14 Weaver/13 Enchanter
    100 Reaver/54 IceD

dagoo7

I understand generally how AR works and what it does in general from my previous experience witht he game. However, I was hoping to find some more detailed info about how exactly its calculated and generally how exp is calculated based on it. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by dagoo7
    I understand generally how AR works and what it does in general from my previous experience witht he game. However, I was hoping to find some more detailed info about how exactly its calculated and generally how exp is calculated based on it. Thanks for the input.
    On the old Tazoon boards someone had actually managed to break it down and put a formulae to it I *think* (how AR was calculated). Anyhow, I don't remember it and have no clue if it was transfered here when Tazoon went down. Maybe someone else might know.

PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

dagoo7

Very nice, thank you very much. So basicallythen the AR rating is considered one's functional lvl for determing how much xp one gets from a kill based on relative mob lvl. In other words, if AR is 67, I would only get full xp from killing a lvl 67, even if primary class was say 60.

And your craft rating doesn't mean a dern thing, near as I can tell.

However, if you're way over skill in what you're doing, you'll get little xp. In other words, if you're a level 100 miner and switch to scholar level 1and go make some slate bricks - nada xp. Your ~1000 skill (or whatever it is)in stoneworking will kill your xp. A normal scholar level 1 that happens to have a 200 skill in stoneworking (some other class)and the ability to work slate would get a fair amount of xp from a load of bricks at 5:1 (5 slabs->1 brick @ 200 skill).

The only caveat to this is construction xp. You can cap your skill by using a lower tiered tool, and when you do actual construction (applying sheets to a house, or essence sources to a mech, for instance) it will be based on your capped skill. Don't think it works that way with any other crafting, I could be wrong. In other words, if you have 800 skill in weaving and equip an iron weaving awl, your skill will get capped to 450 (if I remember right) because of the tool. You'll get xp based on the 450, rather than the 800. That would go for applying withessence structuring, fitting, masonry, weaving, and carpentry.
    Foxfire Godspell, Ice Queen of Istaria, Dark Defenders
    Manta Guild Community @ Collinswood
    Knoc/Conj, Mastercraftswoman -and-
    Ravagice, Horde Fueled WunderWyrm

Ssid

Quote Originally Posted by dagoo7
    Very nice, thank you very much. So basicallythen the AR rating is considered one's functional lvl for determing how much xp one gets from a kill based on relative mob lvl. In other words, if AR is 67, I would only get full xp from killing a lvl 67, even if primary class was say 60.
    I'm not sure there is such a thing as "full xp" really.

From my observations if you were 60 (66) and you killed a rating 67 creature you would get more experience for that kill thana 60 (67) adventurerwould. For instance at rating 73 killing a rating 100 creature solo nets around 16k xp, whereas at rating 100 killing a rating 100 creature nets about 11k. (assuming these numbers are less than the xp cap per mob at your current level, which is [total xp needed for the next level/10] )

That all goes out the window when you are not solo in which case group xp takes over and it all depends on your groupmates' ratings relative to your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire
    And your craft rating doesn't mean a dern thing, near as I can tell.

However, if you're way over skill in what you're doing, you'll get little xp. In other words, if you're a level 100 miner and switch to scholar level 1and go make some slate bricks - nada xp. Your ~1000 skill (or whatever it is)in stoneworking will kill your xp. A normal scholar level 1 that happens to have a 200 skill in stoneworking (some other class)and the ability to work slate would get a fair amount of xp from a load of bricks at 5:1 (5 slabs->1 brick @ 200 skill).
    Ah, but you don't do slate, because you can still use your full skill level in stoneworking even though you are a level 1 scholar. So you do marble or travertine or whatever you can quickly do a disk full of, and it produces enough exp to make lots of low scholar levels. Your ability to do stoneworking is not hampered at all by your change in class, unlike with adventuring.

Thread Information