Thread: a question

Garanixx

Default a question

hello everyone,i was just wondering if you could indulge me on an issue i had with horizons quite a long time ago,namely the dragons,when i was playing as a dragon and was fighting one of those larva things that crawl around the meadows,i fought one on the same level,and it killed me,then i saw many players who were biped races,and they killed larvas 2 or even 3 levels higher than themselves,and indeed almost everyone playing as a dragon was complaining about how weak and pathetic they are against the other races,playing as a dragon was the only reason i wanted this game,but after seeing how badly the game admins messed up,i just quit the game,now i've come back to ask if the dragons are still so pathetic that they cant even handle a little worm on the same level as themselves,or if the admins finally got things together and made them comparable to other classes by strength,cause if so i'd still like to play this game,any information would be most welcome

and my apologies if i appear rude,but it was a huge dissapointment,i buy the game,and the only race i wanted to play with is so weak i cant even kill a monster at the same level,kind of frustrating

GRanzar

Default Re: a question

*sigh*
    dragons are weak in the EARLY lvls.
    don't worry about the strength issue ok because dragons are actully the STRONGEST race.

I've been playing dragons since release and recently started up some new hatchlings for a change of pace.

If you use your combat skills reasonably well, spend your training points wisely, get some sort of equipment (doesn't have to be teched, just something) and basically do what you can, I think it's reasonable to be able to kill a critter a couple levels higher then you when you're in the vicinity of level 10. Maybe more.

---------------

Since I wrote the above I dug out a level 6 hatchling I had. At least he was level 6 when I dug him out. He was EASILY able to solo maggots and skellies 2 levels higher then himself. Unfortunately he was leveling so fast I couldn't find how much tougher a mob he could handle. Certainly 3 levels above. Probably call it 3 levels above to be safe and POSSIBLY 4 levels if very lucky. This seemed to be consistent from levels 6through 10 which is where he was when I logged.

Of course, he was pretty much uber for his level. It probably helped that I knew exactly what needed doinghaving played dragons exclusively for the last year and a half.He had a maxxed out hoard and thesimulated chest scale Vladtemordt gives out (which any dragon that level can get, although you have to know to talk to him since he isn't exactly where newbies are likely to be roaming). I puthalf his training points in T&C with the rest split between strength and health. I always made sure to spend training points immediately after leveling.

My strategyfor mobs 2 levels above quickly became one of holding back on skills with the 2 minute timers (bite, ravage) and keeping them in reserve in case of emergency or a add since they weren't needed for a mob merely 2 levels higher in most cases. This allowed me to kill mobs faster.

This was not my experience back on release day. I seem to recall that by level 7-8 or so I could no longer solo even mobs and by 10 or so I was a couple levels below. However, a lot has changed. Dragons get more armor both naturally and with their scales andthey can boost stats more with training points. Also and possibly fairly important, at low levels breath of fire does some fairly significant damage. By changing it's recycle from a couple minutes to 30 seconds they boosted dragon power as well at lower levels. I rely heavily on melee skills so can't say anything about dragons who prefer to use combat spells.

Anyway, it looks to me like low level dragons are in far better shape then they were when the game released.

Garanixx

yes that is when i was playing,when fire breath was at a 2 minute recharge time, and back then,dragons were just simply pathetic,and as you said yourself,you found it very hard hard to solo monsters after reaching a certain level,but it seems they have improved things,i thank you for the information,i will give the game a try again =)

I'd never say that dragons were pathetic. It just takes a little patience and understanding to play one. Well it did back in the day anyway. Just as Goriax says you have to pay attention to how you spend your training points andwhat equipment you have. I would also add ability quests to that. They make a big difference in the lower levels (below 30). Hoard is a big help too since it doesn't take much hoard in the low levels and you get the best bang for your buck.

Oh yes, hoard and ability quests are absolutely essential. I wasn't trying to give a walkthrough on how to play a dragon. There's a bunch of things which, taken together, make them more powerful. Key thing is that if you do everything you should be doing (work on hoard, do ability quests, spend training points wisely and consistent with your fighting style, get good equipment for your level, know what abilities to use when, etc.) low level dragons can do a lot better then they used to be able to do.

Oh yes, silver strike really helps too and wasn't around right after release. Another reason to be working on hoard.

Thread Information