Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which race is picked the most ? (nevered played before)

Furion

Default which race is picked the most ? (nevered played before)

which is the most common picked and teh over all best race

Default Re: which race is picked the most ? (nevered played before)

Just a guess, but I would say dragon, sslik, saris, dwarf, Dryad, fiend, elf, human, Half-giant, satyr, gnome in that order.

And in answer to which is best over all, there really is no answer except that it depends.

It depends on what your goals are, and what your play style is, and what you find fun.

There are very few advantages that seperate the races. Adult dragons can fly and are very powerful, but hatchlings are not. Saris can run fast and leap higher, but certain adventure class skills can help equal that advantage. Dryads have a dazzle effect that makes it very hard to hit them for a short period of time, so not really enough of an advantage by itself. None of the other bonuses are worth talking about.

My suggestion is study about what each race gets as bonuses, then pick one you will enjoy playing, and have fun :)
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    None of the other bonuses are worth talking about.
    Au contraire Aamer! As a dwarven Chaos Warrior/Cleric, Dwarven Toughness (which adds 1000 armor for 30 seconds, much akin to high end bugs' Harden Shell) has saved my arse any number of times.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

The Sslik regenerate is nothing to sneeze at either.

Devast

The best race is all dependant on your play style...

Me personally, I love the Sslik, both for RP reasons and regen, which suits my up close fighting style perfectly as a backup health boost...

However, a dwarf would work with that style just as well due to their toughness...

(PS: Sslik will rule all once the WA are gone...Zdinkin memmelz...)
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

if you want useful racial abilities don't pick human.
    all the rest are fine.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Saris as indicated above gets a nice long sprint, and also their dexterity is a bit higher, making them good archers, but that advantage dwindles at higher levels.

Dragons are definitely the most frequently chosen race, and are different from all others. You can try two, a dragon hatchling and a biped and see which you prefer. The dragon classes are different from the bipeds; they used to be harder to play than most other classes, but that has changed recently, and they are at about par; a bit under as hatchlings, a bit over as adults on average. (Others may well differ.) Adulthood also means flight, unique to dragons, and is a reward for completing a lengthy and excellent quest series, the Rite of Passage. You could complete the Rite at roughly level 40-45. Dragons can only make scales and spells, and soon, lairs. Bipeds can make weapons, armor, spells, tools, and do construction work.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Dragon is by far and away the single most picked race. By themselves they account for around 27% (according to last TG/DB quote I've seen) of the players online. No other single race even comes close.

Whether or not they're "best" is another issue entirely and probably depends on your definition of "best." If you mean best flier then yes they're thebest since they're the only flier. If you mean best damage dealer then maybe at high levels if well equipped and with lots of hoard to burn. If you mean best crafter or best healer or best farmer or best whatever then they aren't even close. I think most people pick dragons because they're different and because their DRAGONS. Min/maxing really isn't the reason.

If you are into the min/max game see the above replies.

Most picked: Dragon

Best: Fiend

Jayne

Dragons appear to be the top played race. Second place is a tie between sslik and dwarf, mostly due to their racial abilities. I've played a sslik ever since I started Horizons and have to admit I love our racial ability [:)]

Quote Originally Posted by tjl
    if you want useful racial abilities don't pick human.
    all the rest are fine.
    This is sadly so true .....
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

I have to argue a bit there, my satyr abilities are about as useless as can be. Freedom from root is a pretty narrow ability, and charge is a much poorer version of petrify, which just about everyone has.

Omitting Dragon, I would say that Dwarves have the best, by a significant margin.

-12-
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    Not one person mentioning Dryad Dazzle?...
    Oh, Aamer mentioned it in his original response, stating: "Dryads have a dazzle effect that makes it very hard to hit them for a short period of time, so not really enough of an advantage by itself. None of the other bonuses are worth talking about."

It's the second sentence that took me, and others, aback.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Saris Sprint. Sure, it's not as useful in combat as various other already-mentioned abilities, but I'm a permanently under-leveled crafter. It's great for getting to the resource field a little quicker or saving your butt when that sneaky twice-your-level golem starts stomping on you while you mine!
    kitty: 48 Mage 22 Healer + others
    80 MIN 65 GTH 69 TNK 70 MSN 55 SPL
    41 BLK 41 SCH 47 CRP 38 JWL + others
    dragon: 91 adv, 100 craft, 22 lair
    elf: 49 ELAR, 31 Healer, 51 Fitter + others

As a second thought; except for dragon, the choice does not really make a big difference usually, and if you have a strong preference, for whatever reason, follow that. If you want to tank, then Sslik or dwarf might have a lasting edge, but I'd not let that get in the way of a strong preference.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

As you can see evryone place dragon in a seperate scale of thing, basically because it's the only race that has recieved love from the devs for it's race attribute. Of course all these rigth of passage makes it interesting and lot's of quest for it. The bonus they get because of their race change with times, and are fun.

The other race get's one racial tiny ability that may make a change in the lower level, but with times has no real effect. The stats differencehelp start the game, but means nothing pass level 10.

As a Sslisk, my regenerate has helped me in my lower level, but now mobs are alsoat higher level self healing and better at it then my natural skill. but yes it has kept me alive while fleeing battle. Look more at the racial for a style of role play you want to do more a then bonus. I know a dryads that her skill will make anyone bend their knees for forgiveness, but she still known as the fragile and delicate thing that Dryad are. Not to mention that Saris that keeps leaving it's fur ball all over the place. Or a certain Gnome I know that will tell any dragons he is not shishkebab and his trusty sword will prove him that it's more usefull then been a dragon toothpick.

So my friend if your on order .. think role play.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Does fiendish channeling even work? I've never seen feedback from it, so it's hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    Does fiendish channeling even work? I've never seen feedback from it, so it's hard to tell.
    heh yes it does. at least for NPCs. I have killed myself a few times from it.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Quote Originally Posted by Nalrach
    The other race get's one racial tiny ability that may make a change in the lower level, but with times has no real effect.

As a Sslisk, my regenerate has helped me in my lower level, but now mobs are alsoat higher level self healing and better at it then my natural skill.
    I think youdon't recognize the power of sslk regenerate because you have real heal spells. It is plenty powerfull and scales with levels as you gain more hp. From what i hear it is just as if not more powerfull than the dragon regen heal.

True there are some uselessabilities for some races, butit's up to those who want to wait a long long time for those abilities to be revisited to choose those races or not.

From what i've seen gnomes, dwarfs, fiends, and sslk all have cool racial abilities that are usefull no matter what level you are.

Thread Information