Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No XP for new quests in Kion?

Default No XP for new quests in Kion?

I used the opportunity to check out the new changes in Lesser Aradoth with my lvl 8 scout.

While I really liked the overall appeal, I was quite disappointed that after I completed the first two tasks (WA scouting and Sand Beetle killing) I only got silver as a reward but no XP.

Is this intentional? And why is it you only get silver and no XP. I think that 500XP-1000XP for completing the quests is nothing too much to ask for.

I was LvL 9 when I handed in the Scouting WA quest... 1000 XPwould have been 1/3 of a level for me then.

I think that the general approach to the new quests is nice, but it bothers me that level advancement is only given by killing mobs and not through questing.... strange that is!

-- || knoccest of the tailors. period.

Default Re: No XP for new quests in Kion?

They are (I hope) getting away from the "XP fairy" approach.

XP is gained by doing, not by being dinked with "the wand of XP reward". You did gain XP by killing sand beetles. The rest of the quests, you have to kill more. You will have the opportunity to get lots of XP.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus
    They are (I hope) getting away from the "XP fairy" approach.

XP is gained by doing, not by being dinked with "the wand of XP reward". You did gain XP by killing sand beetles. The rest of the quests, you have to kill more. You will have the opportunity to get lots of XP.
    I don't like the idea of not recieving xp for compleiting the quests. These games shoudln't be about killing monsters but finishing "encounters" or "quests".

Many of the games I have played have rewarded xp for completing quests in addition to coin and what ever you collect from the corpse. It happens in both single and online games.

I have no problem with xp being awarded for real quests. Things like trophy hunters on the other hand shouldn't.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

I do not agree with Pharcellus. Why shouldn't I be able to get XP for completing a quest the way I choose.

When scouting the second stone circle you can be a smart person and sneak your way to the mobs instead of killing them.

So... I am not awarded by using the gaps and holes in the enemy lines, but I am only awarded through killing monsters...

HZ is SOOOOO killing/grind orientated it's not even funny.I paid my share. I leveled my main to 100 KNoC and I killed LOTS of mobs without any quest for it.

I know the devs are working on the new quest editor which let's them introduce more quests in a faster way. But the results (like the ones mentioned) make me think.

It's not wrong to borrow ideas of other MMORPGs to make your own better.

I am playing WoW, too, and when I last checked the amount of Experience I collected until now was almost 50:50 from killing mobs and quest XP. THIS is how it should be.
    And it's by far not too much to ask to get some XP for the Kion quests...
    -- || knoccest of the tailors. period.

I think there was no exp given out because of the shear amount of coin that was awarded. 2s to kill 20 lvl 1-5's. At that lvl, that is quite a sum of money. I know my alt enjoyed it immensely.
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

I was very disappointed with the no exp for quests. I played a beta recently that lets you level up to about level 30 with almost no grinding (just one level here or there), entirely on quest exp and kill exp for those quests. I have to say it was extremely enjoyable to play, and much like hz, the content in the upper levels is non-existant, the game became all grind and I quit.

It's a very well-established tradition that you get XP at the end of a quest. However, it was a matter of convenience, not of intent or design.

In table-top games, the GM would run you through an adventure and give you XP at the end of the adventure, or maybe even the gaming session. Rarely, if ever, would a GM give the players XP after every kill, because it would be a pain in the butt to do.

When RPGs were translated into computer games, that tradition was kept in many cases, even though computer game developers realized that they could easily give the XP for encounters right after each kill. However, they didn't end up removing the "quest XP" reward mechanism when they implemented the per-kill XP rewards. Thus, the creation of the concept of the "XP fairy".

The result was that, in many CRPGs, you would get a quest to kill something (or even multiple quests for the same targets), and you would get the normal per-kill XP for the monsters, and then run back to the quest-giver and be dinked by the XP fairy's "wand of XP reward" for being kind enough to run back to him and give him the good news that the quest was completed.

One issue is how to deal with Fedex quests, since killing things is not usually part of the quest. Personally, I see NO reason to get XP for Fedex quests. They are usually pretty pathetic anyway, and I would argue that the reward of coin or an item is far more appropriate. Not to mention that the point of many Fedex quests is simply to get people out and explore the world, and the resultant knowledge from that is a nice reward. If one just happens to kill a few mobs on the way, then great! There's some XP for ya.

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Killing is not the only assest and experience you can gain, it is not the only aspect of playing the game. Many tasks and chores are good experience, and completely a quest should be more rewarding experience wise then just slaying monsters mindlessly.

Seriously, if you want to just grind even more levels, then go play another game like lineage, where you can grind for years with never seeing a quest. The reasons behind XP bonuses at the end of a quest really dont matter at all, what matters is what makes the players happy and entertained. The no exp for quests is possibly the most narrow thinking I've seen on these boards.

1) I never said killing was the only aspect of playing the game.
    2) I said experience is not the only valid reward for accomplishing things in the game.
    3) I never said anything about grinding levels.
    4) The reasons behind doing anything in a game matter to players, otherwise, they wouldn't be here talking about them.
    5) If you don't agree with something, taking the "this is the stupidest idea in the world" track doesn't make your argument any more valid.

I said it was the most narrow, not stupid, and it remains to be

Semantically the same thing, as it is nothing but a condescending slam. But, then, you're the expert there. [;)]

Oi!

*smacks forehead*

There needs to be variety to rewards for quests, coins, forms, techs, items, xp are all valid imo

Why is XP valid? Because you are doing something for "someone" other than yourself if we had an honour or something system you could be rewarded honour points or esteem.

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

imported_tramsan

Would it be more palatable if instead of a big XP chunk at the end of a quest, it is split up and portioned out when you complete the actual steps of a quest?

For instance, say a quest requires me to craft a pair of special pants and then kill 5 beetles.
    1: I craft the pants, get XP for the crafting and a bit of extra craft-only XP for completing the quest step.
    2: I don the pants and go kill 5 beetles. I get regular kill XP and a bit of extra adv-only XP for completing the quest step.
    3: I go back to the quest giver who gives me some coin for completing the task and learning the lesson, perhaps parting with a few additional words of wisdom anda final bit of XP.

Does that make more sense?

Every quest, of every type, should provide xp. If I want to get xp for killing things, well there are lots of things to kill and I can do that on my own. If I take a quest to kill things, I expect to get xp when I am done, the real 'currency' of the game from the player's point of view. As far as fedex quests go, why should I waste my time doing them if I am not going to get xp?

Actually, if you look at the last generation of tabletop RPGs they did their best NOT to reward combat kills with xp and to try to give it out only for roleplaying and quest completion instead.

Quests should provide 2 main things, Lore or a reason to be doing the Quest and a reward upon completion of the Quest that takes into account the time taken to do the Quest and the risk factors involved. A Quest with a good story, (the Lore part) can be rewarding in itself but that Lore should be "different" from what you would get through normal gameplay. It should be new and unique information.

If my Quest reward is experiance from killing MoBs during the Quest that experiance should be more then what I would gain from killing those same Mobs outside the Quest or the MoBs themselves should be different from those I could kill outside the Quest.

That is why I prefer Quests to give out something other then experiance. The more "Unique" the reward the more value the Quest has in gameplay and fun-factor.

However the opinions expressed by myself ...well you know the rest! [;)]
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

Maybe we should just step back and let TG have 'the time to address this matter appropriately' and hopefully they'll get it fixed 'After Arop and lairs'.

25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Do you EVER have anything useful to say?

isn't suggesting we give TG more time to work this issue out useful?
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Thread Information