Thread: "not enough racial difference to mark benifit's".

Default "not enough racial difference to mark benifit's".

Okay forum goods, this is not a suggestion, this is to see if other players have the same impression as me. Note this topic may have been cover in the past, but I feel it has not progressed (exception for dragon's).

This week someone was asking me what race & class to choose. I was kind of taken by the question because no race really gives bonus for anything. The only thingthat race do for you is set the beginning stats you start with.

Example (and I don't play either)

I'm a dryad, in combat I'm tiny, so I should get bonus for evasion and hidding, which should make me good for scouting. I'm also a creature near the earth, which should make me good with plants and help my alchemy or cooking.

I'm a centaure, I'm tough down to earth and like my brute strength, I should be taugh and it should help my defence or armour. Sould help druid skill since I'm after all a mystical beast.

And if they ever get centaure, horses are fast and aren't they known to be excellent defenders.

On the same point if we get real wood elf, woul they notget bonus on archery.

Plus as you get aging and at this time only dragon do, your knowledge of thing increase. As a race if you had racial bonus, should not they bonus groth as ages and time passes.

NOW my questions ....

Do you feel like your race means anything?
    Does it add to your schools?

Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Default Re: "not enough racial difference to mark benifit's".

If they had the manpower to achieve it, I would love to see specific racial armor and equipment. These would only be wearable by the specific races and not only would provide for a unique look to each race, would also enchance each races specific traits.

Little things that just add to the flavor or each biped race and would grant a broader distinction between them.

Some races do give bonuses in the form or sprints, or toughness, or regen. Others have "bonuses" that don't seem to do much at all. I'm a human and I cannot tell any benefit from my racial "bonus"
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Does my race mean anything? Yeah, roleplay.

Does it make any difference? Weeelll...not really, no. If I were a Dorf or Sslik it would, I suppose. But as a Saris, the race benefits (+10 Life and an extra sprint) are a nice touch but they don't affect my gameplay in any significant manner.

However, one thing I actually like about race not mattering much is that people actually play what interests them the most, instead of being whatever's the most uber race/class combination.
    kitty: 48 Mage 22 Healer + others
    80 MIN 65 GTH 69 TNK 70 MSN 55 SPL
    41 BLK 41 SCH 47 CRP 38 JWL + others
    dragon: 91 adv, 100 craft, 22 lair
    elf: 49 ELAR, 31 Healer, 51 Fitter + others

Okay I stand corrected, race get's twobonus (from the OSG).

Dwarves: Dwarven toughness, Enhance armor use
    Elves: Enhance bows, Elven leadership
    Fiend: Enhance ice magic, Fiendish Channellingf
    Gnome: Enhance evasion, Gnomian prowess
    half-giant: Increase health, Giant daze
    human: Enhance magic defense, Human magical aptitude
    Saris: Saris sprint, Enhance life magic
    Sslik: Sslik regeneration, Innate armor

Idid not list the Dragon since they now have RoP & AoP.

As to the new race ... the OSG is too hold.

But I still feel these had little difference in game now. Innate armor wow that bonus as meant soooo little passed level 10 that I completely forgot about it. As to the regeneration, most mobs have now self healing that are 3 times better the it that it means little difference.

I still stand .. current racial does not seems to do much .. Do you think your racial bonus does help you a lot?

Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    Some races do give bonuses in the form or sprints, or toughness, or regen. Others have "bonuses" that don't seem to do much at all. I'm a human and I cannot tell any benefit from my racial "bonus"
    Actually, wonder of wonders, I have noticed some use to it. I've been in fire opal groups, or hunting fire island beetles, and if I kick in my Magical Aptitude my Tier II and III spells actually hit them.more than not.

That wouldn't save my bacon if I were solo *laments her gimpiness and remembers her days of glory as a Reaver* but it is a benefit, if a tiny one.

Still, truly, the racial abiliites have not been at all a factor in my choice of toons. Mostly RP and a bit of aesthetics *grins*

-Levity Merrel, bronze-skinned Human, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP by Aiya's pad
    100 Blacksmith/100 Fitter/45 Mason/45 Carpenter/25 Scholar/14 Weaver/13 Enchanter
    100 Reaver/59 Ice Disciple

part of me likes the fact that race is not a big factor in how well your character can do things.
    however, part of me wishes the racial abilities were more useful, and had more impact on chosen professions.

as a human, the +35% chance to hit with spells is not very useful. Due to the mobs having abnormally high stats for their levels, it does not seem to effect my to-hit chances much at all.

the +5 base magic defense is somewhat useful, but not enough, since like I mentioned above, stats are out of whack.

Overall, the human racial abilities are sub par to most of the others out there. But since it doesn't adversly effect the character much, it never has been a big deal to me. Sure I would like to have an extra sprint, or a nice regen etc... but in the grand scheme of things they don't amount to much of an advantage. it might just take me 1 min longer to get somewhere, i might need to wait 1 more min for my health to regen, or take on 1 less enemy.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Quote Originally Posted by Nalrach
    Okay I stand corrected, race get's twobonus (from the OSG).

Dwarves: Dwarven toughness, Enhance armor use
    Elves: Enhance bows, Elven leadership
    Fiend: Enhance ice magic, Fiendish Channellingf
    Gnome: Enhance evasion, Gnomian prowess
    half-giant: Increase health, Giant daze
    human: Enhance magic defense, Human magical aptitude
    Saris: Saris sprint, Enhance life magic
    Sslik: Sslik regeneration, Innate armor
    http://horizons.gamersinfo.net/races/default.php

We've got listing all of the races and all their unique abilities there. (Yes, shamless plug, what it's also relevant :P)

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65

According to David, Manga is working on the ARoP right now. After that is done, he will finish the confectioner's school, and rework that school. After that he will revisit and review racial abilities.
    Prolly 2006 before any racial review.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Leezard's rule. That's about all I can say. I enjoy the sslik race not only for a useful racial ability, but the fact that they're an original Tulga creation and therefore are extremely open-ended in terms of racial history and physiology for role-play purposes.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Thread Information