Thread: Make Fishing SURVIVABLE

Default Make Fishing SURVIVABLE

I got 2 DPs today trying to get trout. Not cause of the mobs in the area! But because the fish are too far out.

Please make ALL fish fishable without death. You can keep them out far enough where I have to jump to live, but don't put them out so far there is no chance of survival! Come on, don't confectioners have it bad enough? That is the only resource that you CANNOT SURVIVE trying to get.

Default Re: Make Fishing SURVIVABLE

Oh and our lvl 100 confectioner got 18 DPs to get 300 mackrel for yew fishing poles with tech Fish V. Come on, that's a bit much!

agreed, I only work on confec now and then but last time i tryed to go fishing (for bluegill) i racked up 3 dps before giveing up on fishing
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

/sigh If they would only give Fishing initiating and gathering a range of 200m it would solve ALL of the problems with Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn
    /sigh If they would only give Fishing initiating and gathering a range of 200m it would solve ALL of the problems with Fishing.
    only too true
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

Hey Hey fishing a task for CNF only, as a gatherer I tried fishing to quickly see that I couldn't even cut the fish to a 1st step resources. could fish, but no way to make xp from it as all the forms to use them were CNF only.

I guess CNF are alone on that call .. a single voice in the wind. [:(]
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Where do you get the quest for Fishing V, and what level in what school do you need in order to get it?

Bammas won't give me the quest for Fishing V.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

You can get the gatherer 15 really quick using fish turn in tasks.

No idea on Fishing V. Have gotten it as drop, but Bammas wouldn't give me V quest either.

Never seen the Fishing V tech drop, nor for auction or for sale.

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

It is a drop unless it's recently been lost from the loot table. But no, Bammas quests end at Fishing IV. Friend has Fishing V so I know it's out there just don't get me to lying where it drops. lol

I think you need to cast out farther.

Jayne

OLD topic. I spoke personally with DB and Manga about the fishing situation, even pre-merge. The response I got was that not all the fish are supposed to be reachable.......

Yeah, my response was probably similar to yours.

The issue isn't that some aren't reachable, but in some cases the vast majority aren't.

As far as Fishing V tech, it was available for a very short time as a drop when the T5 stuff was first introduced. Bammas also had it as a reward, but it was out of sequence, and the quests were later fixed, at which time I believe the V version was left out. I helped Manga debug it a bit on live, but I am not sure it was ever totally completed.

Drev

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar
    OLD topic. I spoke personally with DB and Manga about the fishing situation, even pre-merge. The response I got was that not all the fish are supposed to be reachable.......

Yeah, my response was probably similar to yours.
    What's that? That that's utter BS and fish(ing) should not be treated this way because it's STUPID?!

Not all fish are suppose to be reachable. How idiotic is that??? Dumbest thing I've EVER heard! [:|] Devs get a clue much?[8-)]

I don't know how many recall it, but a quite a while back they also recalibrated the sea levels. The end result was a lot of old beach was suddenly underwater. Not sure if it was purely to keep the fish from swimming up on land or not (a good laugh to see), but it had that effect. The fish spawns however were never moved to compensate for the new shoreline. Inoticed the effect on the bass out by Dryart. That was what prompted my asking about the spawns. At first I got the standard "I'll pass along the concern". After nothing was done or even aknowledged, a week or two later I asked again. I was told that DB had placed the fish himself and to ask him. When the opportunity came up in IRC I asked David and got the "not all fish were meant to be reachable" answer.

Drev

If they are unwilling to make the fish mob move closer why not add 5 techs that can be added to our poles that will give us a better cast range ? ie adds more distance you can cast :) that would be a nice additional tech to add :)
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

I say it is time for boats! Even a rowboat. That would make fishing fun. Even if they had a radius from shore they were limited to before they hit "rough water" and could not go any further.

Now the only problem I see is how to get a fishing boat from Jambi to the northern shores of Dralk where the trout are.......
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

I've seen that, too, actually.

I was flying over the water in the bay east of the bridge from Yumi to Penza, and I saw schools of Mackerel down in the bottom of the basin and some a little closer to the bridge.

Quite obvious that they are there for show, as no one is going fishing there without a snorkel.

Yes, I think it is pretty lame-brained, too. At least put some close to the banks so they can actually be CAUGHT rather than only looked at. I mean, I don't mind seeing them in deeper waters for the fluff factor, but unless they are going to put nodes all up and down the sides of sheer, unclimbable cliffs, I think it is quite unfair.

Fridlekh

In the past, and in most cases currently, resources were just spawned in regions defined by points on a 2d plane. The resources themselves have no concept of the angleof terrain, world objects that might be in the area, if the area is water or not, and how deep, etc. Resources could not be placed underground, because like everythign else they just existed in 2D and were applied to the world model by the client.

This changed recently when the resourcedatabaseand region creation tool were modified to allow for a Z offset to be defined to resources in a region based on a minheight and maxheight value. For things like the gems in caves on LA, the minheight and maxheight are the same, and put at the depth of the floor of the rooms.

One of the intended uses of this ability to put an offset on resources was supposed to be putting fish up closer to the surface of the water without their "swimming around" animation running them aground. (nodes have a static position, but the model is animated)

The problems:
    1) The system is still dependant on the world model to some extent, so if the coast slopes, the rectagular volume created with the min and max heights for the region will slope the same way. To make the region flat, the ground underneath the region must also be flat.

2) Each fishing resource region has to be edited by hand. This is time consuming, and lower priority than many other things. (probably something they'd have an intern do)

There are ways to avoid dying to drowning while fishing.... Think like a fish... :) A fish out of water.

25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Which is why a simple edit to the Fishing initiating and gathering code is much more practical, and still has basis in realism, than moving nodes around. It's been done before to compensate for this exact same issue in pre-merge HZ, no reason it can't be done again but with a much longer range.

Thread Information