Hi all!

I just wanted to drop a line and note a new channel I created a week ago. This channel is called TechnicalHelp and has the following uses so far:

1. To allow players of technical minds to talk about technical things without offending or interrupting the roleplay of others.

2. To offer player-provided technical support whenever possible.

To clarify my intentions as far as support goes, here is what I'm willing to help with (this may change):

Anything to do with the Horizons game, in a technical manner, that does not require help from Tulga Games or a representative of the company. That means, we can't help you get un-stuck if you're stuck in the world, however we can offer suggestions of things you can try. We can't wave a wand and magically free you.

Any other technical-related questions, at the disgression of the people in the channel. What this means is if you're having issues with a specific program on your computer, someone in the channel may have experience with that and may offer you support. However, please don't become offended if we don't know what you're talking about, or if we feel that the explaination required would be too involved for a chat channel. The people in this channel will all be players, just like you, and they may be playing the game, just like you.

The primary intention for this channel is to allow people to share what they've figured out with others. There are bugs in the game client, and things that are not entirely obvious to people. Questions like "How do I turn off the loading screen?" are appropriate for this channel. Questions like "Why won't this NPC give me a quest?" are not appropriate. The only thing I could suggest technically in a case like that is to wait. The you or the server may be lagged.

To those players who will be joining the channel as tech-savvy people, I have a few things to mention:

1. Don't be rude to people. (Not a problem with this shard's community...)

2. Keep in mind that not everyone understands "TechSpeak". That is, you may have to find some more common words to explain things.

3. Don't judge someone's intelligence based on their questions. A medical doctor may not know what a "motherboard" is, however I'm sure they could say a few of their profession's terms that are equally confusing for you.

4. Be Patient. (I need to work on this one myself... :)

5. When just chatting about technical stuff, please avoid drowning out someone who may come on for help.

I'm not entirely sure where this channel idea is heading, but my hope is to gather a few people to help me provide technical assistance to others. I don't know much of the specifics about this game yet as far as the technical aspects go, so I could really use a few people who have been in the game a while and know it rather well to join me in this chat and talk to me about it.

One last thing, I'm going to follow in Plink's tradition of giving everyone moderator status as they join. A way to say "I notice you." -- If you aren't given moderator status within a few minutes, feel free to send me a tell and prod me. I might be zoning into crafting or dying or something else equally fun. ;) It might be a good idea later, should things pick up, to only promote those who are there to offer technical advise, as a means to make it easier for people who are trying to see if there are any techs on.

Anywho, that's all from me for now.

Please provide some feedback on this idea. Good? Bad? Ugly? Yes? No? Am I crazy? (Well, obviously :)

-- Valerith Kosmos (Death-prone Hatchling)
- Xorith (biped stunt double)