Thread: upgrade for the /who command

Default upgrade for the /who command

From an existing Problem:

When you do a /who reqest for a crafter you only get those listed that are actual in that school.
    In times of low shard population and players with more than one craft school that they have joined it could be better if this search shows all players that have this school and not only those that have it active.

Default Re: upgrade for the /who command

Nice sentiment but I don't think crafters would appreciate being bothered about making something for someone out of their current craft school. I know I don't like being pulled away from what I'm doing for something else. Sure, you can just say no but there are those that will refuse to take no for an answer or try and guilt you into making it.

There are so many problems with using /who to find someone for a crafting/construction order that I don't know where to begin. I started to reply that it would be nice to be able to say which crafts A character shows up on in a /who listing. Then I realized that some people who are high level fitters really aren't interested in low level fitting work, which complicates things. So, lets add Tiers to that as well. Now, we get into the problem that the person browsing doesn't necessarily know who can do what they need. If you want a tripleteched mithril construction tool, you're more likely to be able to get it from a lvl 100 tinkerer than a lvl 100 blacksmith. And then there's people that come to blacksmiths for armor.

Furthermore, I don't know if it's lack of understanding or just laziness, but some people will look up lvl 100 crafters for T1 crafting. Now, I'm not going to say no if you can't find someone to do the work as long as it's reasonable, but since I get no XP for T1 crafting in my lvl 100 classes (and don't really need it, either), you'll probably have much better luck finding someone low enough to get decent XP for the work that might even be better prepared for the work by having materials on hand.

I'd say that marketplace would be better than who for this, but for various reasons, I usually don't hang out in marketplace, So I really don't have a good answer, other than an overly elaborate system that would still require more user education than is likely.

We should replace the LFG (rarely if ever used) with LFW (looking for work). Then let people pick and choose which of thier crafting classes they want to announce as available. Perhaps also an option to volunteer for running duty as well.

baldarou

Wow I like that Idea alot Cattoy. A way to put up a flag that you are looking for orders. That would solve a few problems easily and can even help to encourage more to use the LFG feature if both can be seen with the same screen.

Oz

As someone that does construction, what I would like to see rather than have people find me which is not always the most efficient way to do things is a listing of available work. Even if it is posted on the forum, so long as it is kept up to date by the plot owner. Perhaps a form like this:

Server/Shard: Chaos
    Community: Mia's Edge
    Coords: xxxx/yyyyy
    Plot Owner: Bob

I need:
    50 Bronze Sheets - 1 Silver per unit
    50 Elm Brces - 2.5 Silver Per Unit
    50 Kenaf Construction Bolts - 2 Silver per unit

This way construction workers can activly find the work, its not a matter of hunting us and having to deal with AFK's or not enough people in the construction room, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Oz
    As someone that does construction, what I would like to see rather than have people find me which is not always the most efficient way to do things is a listing of available work. Even if it is posted on the forum, so long as it is kept up to date by the plot owner. Perhaps a form like this:

Server/Shard: Chaos
    Community: Mia's Edge
    Coords: xxxx/yyyyy
    Plot Owner: Bob

I need:
    50 Bronze Sheets - 1 Silver per unit
    50 Elm Brces - 2.5 Silver Per Unit
    50 Kenaf Construction Bolts - 2 Silver per unit

This way construction workers can activly find the work, its not a matter of hunting us and having to deal with AFK's or not enough people in the construction room, etc etc
    Nice suggestion... may I take this another direction?... allow the plot owner to place a marker on the plot keystone that indicates that there is craft work to be done for coin... maybe a shrine type becon? OR.. a community listing in the game of plots for location and an indicator to show work to be done on the plot, or the structure itself be a different color if there is coin work to be done?... no need to seperate the list when the forums can't be updated quick enough for work completed.
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

Oz

Nice idea, I would love to see something like that in game. As far as updating it, anyone that looks at the post and takes the job can update, or someone that goes to the site and sees the work is empty. It would take some follow through on our end, but it could work, and not require waiting for devs to implement anything all we have to do is post here to see how it works.

BTW thank you for the kind words

Thread Information