Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is up with the FOREVER PORTING

Default What is up with the FOREVER PORTING

I am not sure if others have noticed, but goodness....in the past couple of days every time that I port I get the loading resources and it takes way to long to port.

This does not matter where I port to.....even places I just left.

It is taking up to 10x longer to port for some reason.

I have not had a problem with porting until a few days ago..just wondering if anyone has an explination or reason as to why this is happening.

It really stinks that I have to relog every 4 or 5 ports now.
    16 100 crafting classes....getting closer

Default Re: What is up with the FOREVER PORTING

Bandishier is a new 'feature' that was introduced with the newest client that was put in to 'address' the 'feature' that caused some plots to be completely wiped when you deleted a structure that was introduced earlier in the week.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Um, no, Seranthor. From the community page:

Date: 7/27/2005

We have a new client up on Blight that we're trying to release before the weekend. This client has an important fix for the World Cache. Currently, the World Cache is deleted every time you exit Horizons - which means porting and logging in takes a significantly longer amount of time than normal. We've fixed the issue so that the cache is not deleted, but need your help in confirming that the client is stable. Please help by logging into Blight and if you have any abnormal problems, send an email with logs to [email protected]

Other changes included in this build are: If your honorific title begins with a comma, it will no longer insert a space between last name and honorific.

Thank you - HZ Dev Dudes and Dudettes
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Galem

Amon, this problem is not just after exiting. During the same gaming session, porting back to the same location requires the download of the world cache every time. Also, the more places you port to the longer it gets, because it looks like it is refreshing every single cache file in the world cache directory. This was moved to bugs, and there is more info there also.

By the end of the night last night, It was taking me 10 minutes to complete a port to a place I had ported to numerous times during the same gaming session. Will this client on Blight fix that?

And I have heard that this looks to be a Chaos only problem.

A whole weekend with this problem would mean no playing. 75% of my time last night was spent waiting for the ports to complete.

It's an Order issue as well. Also client on blight that fixes the issue and needs testing means The client that fixes this issue is on blight, test it for stability so they can push it to live.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Galem

The client on Blight says it fixes cache emptying on exit of game. If you read what I wrtoe, then you see it has nothing to do with leaving the game at all. The cache loads every time during the same gaming session (as in not logging out).

I would be willing to load the blight client and see if that helps with the porting issue, but I understand that it is buggy at best...could be wrong.
    16 100 crafting classes....getting closer

btw, is it just me or are we not allowed to zoom in as far on our maps as we did even as recently as monday? I tend to try and be very precise with my markers and now its not nearly as possible, thoughts?
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    btw, is it just me or are we not allowed to zoom in as far on our maps as we did even as recently as monday? I tend to try and be very precise with my markers and now its not nearly as possible, thoughts?
    They reduced the zoom to compensate with the lack of detail in the map now. Unless you really like giant stabbing pixel blocks, change the map defs to whatever you please.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

This is not a world cache issue at all, it can take 15 minutes to finish porting after you've been to the same spot maybe 3 or 4 times without exiting. It also seems to take longer at times, usually by the 4th time to my plot, the whole plot won't even load.
    Not sure if its order only, but many people on order are experiencing this.

Galem

360.0 has not fixed the problem on Chaos.

As I said before, all world cache is loading when porting/recalling to a place you have already been.

Had anyone actually read what people wrote in the bugs forum, this would have been looked at.

Looks like no Hz for the weekend or until whenever someone actually looks at the real problem.

Yea it happens, but on a positive note, I have been gettingmoretime on breaks to make a much healthier snack :)

Jayne

One thing you might try to make sure you truly do have the latest client version is delete horizons.exe and then run a full scan. We aren't seeing this problem on porting on blight so it may be that your exe did not properly update.

- amon

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Galem

Please log in to Chaos and just port/recall. You will see it.

It is not happening on Blight.

Actually, correction, delete the \version_info\master_file_list.

- Amon

Just posted in the bug report section on this, Amon. I'll try your suggestion of deleting \version_info\master_file_list and test it again.

If I delete my world cache another other time, it takes nowhere near this long to port, something else has to be wrong.

Staff :: Developer

Hey all,

I found an issue on my machines yesterday with the patcher not being able to update properly.

What happened was the Date Modified time of my master_file_list was corrupted somehow to be blank or show a time not in this century. That really confused the patcher to the point it couldn't update the client patch. Once I'd deleted it I patched up fine. (We don't have a fix for this at this time, but are working on it.)

There are a couple ways to check and see if you're running the new client (360.0) rather than the old client (359.0).
    1) On your plot, if you look in your planning tab and see the outlines of your completed structures, you have 360.0. (you will not see the completed structures' outlines on build 359.0.)

2) If you use the command /window fpswindow you'll see red text that will either have a Build # 359.0 or a 360.0.

3) If you have debug logs enabled you can open up your client debug log in your logs folder and it will show what build # it is running in the first few lines.

Another way to see if you're patching correctly is to view details in the Horizons\version_info folder and see if the date time stamp on the master_file_list file looks like a valid time on the Date Modified column.

The problem with the world cache not saving was more than just upon logging out. We simplified the message to that, but as some of you have already noticed, it was a much greater problem. This is one of the few times we can actually say it wasn't our fault :) We didn't actually change the code for it, we recompiled it and now it is working again. Very odd that the build didn't compile correctly. Sorry for not catching it before it got out to you.

For the weekend all should now be able to plan their plots again, delete completed structures safely if you choose to, and not be bogged down loading world cache info over and over again.

~Illyist
    ~Aru

I did some further testing on Chaos and there was no change. The only way to stop the World objects from re-downloading on ports is to log out of the game and then log back in after each port. I tried several different things and performed full scans each time....

I deleting:

Horizon.exe
    \version_info\master_file_list
    world cache

added after reading Illysist's post...

I deleted Horizon.exe and master_file_list again and did full scan...

master_file_list modified date.....7/29/2005 12:19pm

debuf log information.........build #360.0 (Jul 28 2005 15:46:01)

verified that completed structures outlines show on plot.

version.txt shows... 360.0

World Objects still re-download during the same game session but do not if I log out and then back into game.

Galem

Okay, deleted the file you said. Now I cannot load the program anymore. It patches then stops at 'Waiting on Object and Terrain Under Player to Load'.

I tried 4 times now, this last time it has been sitting at that message for 20 minutes.

Not happy at all.

Thread Information