Metaniono

by Tokoz and Draxxis

Draxxis watched as the ground disappeared beneath him, his powerful red dragon wings allowing him to go higher and higher until all the world beneath him was tiny and looked like he could take it all his grasp. He liked it above everything and best of all, he liked to be alone and above everything.
The world was too uncertain. People, family, and friends: they?d make promises and commitments and then things would change? or they would die. That had always been the way of it with the red dragon. Family torn from him while still a hatchling, he?d learned that the only person to be relied on, was one?s self.
But even he had to admit, sure as that path was, it was also a lonely one.
Plink?s words from a few days before were still echoing in his mind as he banked on a gracious west wind and turned more towards the Char. The little dryad was so puny and weak looking, that it almost made Draxxis sick to think of him. Blue wings, orange skin with a turquoise tattoo over his body and that ridiculous hair! It looked he just cut it himself in a big circle around his head, on level with the tops of his eyes. Those eyes didn?t seem weak though, not even to the mighty Draxxis.
He?d hovered before the adult red dragon with a determination in the way he held himself, but his arms stayed by his side: exposed and showing no fear.
?I know what you?re looking for Draxxis.? Plink had said.
Draxxis had laughed. How could the puny naka-duskael know the mind of a Great One, such as the Mighty Draxxis? But the answer stopped him momentarily.
?You want power, Draxxis?? the voice was calm and unshaken. The other group of dragons and naka-duskael around them had stopped in their conversations. It might as well have been just the dragon and the dryad. ?I can show you more power than you would ever posses on your own.?
?I don?t need or want,? Draxxis growled lowly, ?any power from a naka-duskael.?
Plink turned slowly and smoothly to make a sweeping motion to those who stood behind him. ?This is more power than you can possibly gain on your own,? he said. ?This is a community, Draxxis. It is stronger than any power you posses.?
Again Draxxis let out a low laugh, ?Weak Helians and naka-duskael are no match for the mighty Lunus. Why would anyone give up their own power for the sake of a mis-matched group such as this??
?Love, friendship, community. These are powers far outside your reach for now. Take a hold of them. Learn them. You want power, Draxxis? Here is power!?
?Enough!? the red dragon roared suddenly, wings beating powerfully, to bring him to flight. ?I don?t need or want help from a small and weak naka-duskael!? And with that said, the red dragon left. He never heard the comments afterwards. He never heard someone say, ?He?ll never change.?
?He?ll change and learn to lead and follow, or he?ll kill himself fighting it.? Plink answered.
?If he ever comes in charge,? another countered, ?I?ll leave the community.?
?Relax,? Plink said calmly. ?I?m visionary, not insane.? His eyes were on the small speck of red heading toward the horizon, thinking to himself, ?There?s a leader in there, and it?s worth fighting to get to it. I can?t do all this alone.?

After so many days, it should be gone from the mind of the dragon, but the words wouldn?t leave him, not even in his sleep. Plink had directly offered one of the two things he sought, he?d offered power. But the other thing, the one that Draxxis least wanted to admit to himself and usually didn?t, was Plink had also offered for him to not be alone anymore. He offered friendship, and support, immersed in helping the beings around him.
Was there really the kind of power in that of which Plink spoke? Was it an even greater power than he now possessed. Draxxis could not stop wondering. And as often as his mind refused to admit to a power greater than his own, he could not stop himself from wondering.
The wind flew past him and gave lift to his wings, blowing with a strength that made it almost exhilarating to feel. But it could do nothing to drive the thoughts from the dragon?s mind.

Flying out over the Char, Draxxis soon saw a small group of dragons gathered around the obsidian quarry closest to Dralk. A couple were working the stone, but most seemed to just be relaxing, enjoying the company of each other.
One of the dragons, he recognized even from a distance. Big and blue with a round, almost stupid looking head, it could only be the Helian, Tokoz. Easy prey, Draxxis thought, it?ll take my mind off the stupid dryad for a bit at least. Tokoz was quite a bit older than Draxxis, but it was well known he wouldn?t use any of that power wrongly or in rage.
He landed gracefully and majestically next to his prey, who was staring simply into a stack of obsidian before him. He was chewing slowly on a bunch of carrots, and a bit of green leaf was hanging out his mouth. It disgusted the red dragon. ?Oh hi, Draxxis,? the blue dragon said simply. His voice was deep and echoing, like many of his race, but he spoke slowly. Some who didn?t know him would say that he was speaking more surely, but the truth was that the large Helian, wasn?t all that bright.
?Did you know,? he continued, ?that when you look closely into the obsidian, it changes color? Right now it?s a kind of blue/black, a little like me, but if I put a carrot in front of it,? which he did, ?then it becomes more orange. I like blue and orange. Blue for me and orange for carrots.?
Vanda, a hatchling warming herself on the rocks nearby, lazily rolled herself over to look into some of the dark stone. ?Yes, it does,? she agreed happily, ?It?s cool.?
?Carrots?? Draxxis sneered. ?Fare meant only for naka-duskael??
Tokoz didn?t seem to notice the condescension in the red dragon?s voice, ?I suppose they eat them too.? He replied. ?I?m just trying to make this a little more interesting for myself and the carrots keep me from being hungry. Plink needs these blocks to build Celly?s plot.?
?Blocks? Celly? Plink?,? Draxxis raged, ?Tell me I?m wrong. Even you wouldn?t lower yourself to doing such menial work for the naka-duskael??
?Oh no,? Tokoz said almost shyly, ?I?d never think you were wrong, Draxxis. You?re much smarter than I am. But Celly needs these to finish building her cloth-working and alchemists shops.?
Draxxis mistook Tokoz?s sincerity for sarcasm, ?If you let them rely on you, they will only become more weak.? he countered.
Again, Tokoz couldn?t perceive any of the animosity directed at him, ?They are my friends. They help me and I help them. Tyynn brings me carrots, and Celly helps me gather components for my scalecraft... Oh and Ariadni, she makes ambrosia and carrot soup for me.?
Draxxis could hardly believe what he was hearing, even if it was from a simple-minded Helian. ?Wait,? he said almost skeptically, ?You demean yourself to the work of a common pack animal in exchange for their disgusting food and unneeded help??
Tokoz continued digging and didn?t even look up to reply, ?It?s not work. They don?t pay me.? he paused for a moment, staring deep into the dark glass stone before him. ?I do it because they?re my friends. They help me sometimes too.?
Draxxis?s sarcasm was totally missed by Tokoz. ?Oh sure they do. It?s just one taking from the other back and forth.?
Tokoz again paused a moment. The conversation was pressing the limits of his mind, ?That?s one way to define friendship, I suppose. As long as it goes both ways, it?s ok, right??
The blue dragon got no agreement with the angry Lunus. ?Don?t try and obscure truth with your own slow-witted philosophy. Friendship is no more than mutual selfishness. One demanding constantly from the other.?
Vanda braced herself for a moment, knowing full well the mood that Draxxis was in and what it meant. ?Tokoz might like doing that and have naka-duskael for friends. He?s Helian, it?s not like he?s insisting you do the same.? She then rolled over and warmed a different section of her scales on the rock. She started noticeably, from Draxxis?s sharp response.
?Keep you defense of the Helian to yourself, hatchling. I?ll not hear a future Lunus of the Chet, demean herself like that.?
Vanda rolled over and set herself in a pouncing position, ears laid back in anger. But she said nothing. Draxxis was too unpredictable for her to know exactly how to respond, other than letting her anger be known.
?But it?s not like that, Draxxis. I enjoy helping others and it feels good to have them help me in return. It?s nice to know there are others I can look to if things get tough.?
?Bah!? the red dragon roared, ?How could you possibly need help from the tiny naka-duskael??
?Well, it not that I need it, although the carrots and cargo disks are nice...?
The comment on the cargo disk stopped Draxxis momentarily, but not for long. He?d used cargo disks quite often.
?But,? Tokoz concluded, ?I mostly do it because I enjoy helping them.?
?ENJOY!,? Draxxis roared load enough so that his voice echoed through the quarry. ?How dare you demean yourself and the rest of our kind? Enjoy helping the lesser races, the unscaled? We?re meant to rule them, not serve them.?
Tokoz paused in his work again for a moment and almost looked Draxxis in the eye. ?Sounds like a lot of work, ruling the world.? he said simply and returned to his quarrying.
A frightful calm seemed to fall over the red dragon and his voice had a dark snarl to it as he said slowly, ?I would prefer it if every last naka-duskael was dead. But I understand that?ll never be the case. They spread like an infectious plague.?
This thought actually seemed to trouble Tokoz and for a brief moment Draxxis thought it was possible that he was getting through to him at last.
?But,? Tokoz said slowly, almost sadly, ?How would I get my carrots??
?Live without them. Live, like you were meant to, off the meat your prey.?
Again the blue dragon sat dumbly staring into the rock before him, the mental effort taking it?s gradual toll. Vanda still stood at the ready, wondering where all this would lead. ?It seems to me,? he said at last, ?that two is greater than one.? He paused briefly, and then because Draxxis had no idea what the Helian was even talking about, was allowed to continue. ?Even if you count a biped as one-tenth a dragon... A naka and a dragon is still more than one dragon.?
And then deep within the depths of his slow mind, something clicked, something that someone smarter would have missed, but only the slow could comprehend with such simplicity.
?You?re alone, aren?t you, Draxxis??
?I?m alone because I prefer to be alone. I don?t need anyone else.? Draxxis responded, starting to take to flight.
?That?s ok,? Tokoz said simply, not even beginning to comprehend what Draxxis was saying, but now he looked the younger dragon directly in the eyes. ?I?ll be your friend, Draxxis and then you won?t need to be alone all the time anymore.?
?I don?t need your weakness, I?m strong alone.? Draxxis fumed taking full to flight.
Tokoz watched as the red dragon flew off into the distance and then turned to Vanda who was still bristling with anger. ?Maybe he wanted carrots instead?? he said and he meant it.

With the thought of ever ?owing? Tokoz a favor based on friendship still causing his mind to simmer, Draxxis turned to find a new place. That dragon was a disgrace?far too simple minded. He actually believed that friendship was just something that could be given on a whim and that no harm would come of it. Draxxis knew better though. Friendship had to be forged in fire, and even then, you ran the risk of pain later, either from betrayal or loss.
The wind took him and his long thoughts clear over to the sandstone quarry near Kion where he could see a familiar Lunus dragon from a distance. Saphire?s color matched her name. Draxxis slowly circled and descended and landed hear the older dragon, who was digging up sandstone and placing it on her cargo disk. Near her stood a female saris that the red Draxxis hadn?t noticed during his descent, but knew on site. Most dragons at least knew of Starlight, either by sight or by reputation. Some, like Tokoz and Saphire, were even willing to call the disgusting naka-duskael a friend and she was bonded to a dragon: Lonerz.
?Glit?sita Draxxis.? Saphire said without looking up. To say that her greeting was cordial would like calling ice warm. The two dragons shared factions and that was all. Just like Draxxis wished.
?Glit?sita.? He returned, ignoring the saris completely. He really wanted at that moment to just have some company, but didn?t want to admit to not wanting to be alone. Draxxis was trying desperately to find some distraction from the events that seemed to be hitting him from all sides. He didn?t want to think of Community, or Friendship. These were troubling thoughts, and he secretly hoped that a fellow Lunus would be able to take his mind from these things.
Saphire it turned out, was a poor choice on his part. Trying to at least sound somewhat interested and encouraging about what she was doing, he asked: ?Are you making scales and supplies for new dragons?? It was something he knew she did from time to time and even slightly admired her for.
?No,? she responded in the same even tone as before, ?I?m helping Starlight make bricks to be used on the new Manor House in Kion.?
?Mew,? Starlight responded, ?It would take so much longer without a dragon to fly them there for the masons to use.? Her voice was friendly, as it almost always was. ?Will you help us, Draxxis?? Saphire gave a start that her friend would even make the offer, and Draxxis stiffened noticeably.
?Be a pack animal for a disgusting and weak saris and her kin?? he almost shouted.
?Mew?? Starlight asked almost loudly, ?You don?t have to help if you don?t want to.?
?Don?t want to?? Draxxis bellowed. ?I serve no naka-duskael or the even the weak Helian if I can help it.?
?That?s true,? Saphire countered immediately, some trace of heat in her voice, although not a welcome warmth at all. ?You only serve yourself, Draxxis.?
The red dragon roared loudly and started to take to flight yet again.
?Go and keep yourself company,? Saphire continued. ?You?re the only one that wants it.?
With that the mighty Draxxis took to the skies yet again and was out of earshot when Starlight turned to her friend and said. ?Mew??
?He deserved it.? Saphire said gruffly and the two returned to their work.

Draxxis knew that it was impossible to avoid contact with the naka-duskael and knew that until the Withered Aegis and their forces were removed from Istaria for good, sometimes he would have to work with them. Like sometimes he needed to use a scale-forge to make scales. The naka were tools only, and when those tools were no longer needed...
Although a large part of him still craved company, the red dragon was in enough of a confused state, that he felt it might be better to be alone with his thoughts for awhile. First Plink, then Tokoz, then Saphire and Starlight... It was disturbing and unfathomable. Sure there were beings that Draxxis trusted greatly, even a few of the naka-duskael he found he could grudgingly admire... But to stoop to the level of ?needing? someone else? To be as Tokoz and Saphire and actually be happy about being a pack mule for those disgusting naka and their construction of houses? That was something that the mighty red dragon could not comprehend on any level.
His wandering took him to one of the few places in Istaria where he felt like he could be alone, or at least, more than likely, free from the naka-duskael. Few of that kind traveled to the Peak of Storms.
He landed near the top, where the ghost of Hethsa the Patient stood. She took no notice of him or at least seemed not to. She just stood there as patient as her name implied, waiting for the next young hatchling ready for flight. Draxxis lay at the ground near her lowering his head to touch the gravelly grey earth beneath him. He was suddenly very tired. Not physically tired, as the great red dragon rarely grew tired that way, but his mind was tired. For some reason he felt as though he?d spent the last few days in battle continuously, ever since Plink?s first challenge. ?You want power, Draxxis?? the voice echoed over and over in his mind.
What could a small dryad such as Plink know about power? Primal, tooth, claw.... these were powers far outside the dryad?s limited understanding. Draxxis wished he?d eaten the dryad then and there. Although Plink would return, being Gifted, maybe his words would at least be silent in the red dragon?s head.
?And what brings Draxxis here?? a familiar voice broke in from above him.
Draxxis rose and turned, keeping his head slightly lowered out of reverence to his guild master, Mordoth. The older black Helian dragon was one of the few of that philosophy that the red dragon could stomach. There was wisdom in those eyes, a deep wisdom that the much younger dragon could little more than envy.
?Glit?sita Kaiserao,? Draxxis responded, his head still slightly lowered. ?I was taking some time to brood alone. At least, I thought I was alone.? Draxxis realized that with where Mordoth had been sitting, his black scales had blended well with the grey stones of the Peak of Storms. He held to that thought, not realizing that it was also the distracted state he was in that prevented from noticing his guild master.
?I?ve finished what I came for. I just needed to clear my mind of some things.? the older dragon responded. ?I can leave you with your thoughts.? he leaned back and began to spread his wings.
?Wait...? Draxxis called out before he even realized why. The large black dragon stopped quickly and lowered his wings. The two stood for a moment then staring at each other. Draxxis felt uncomfortable, but was unable to finish his sentence.
?What do you need?? Mordoth asked patiently after Draxxis failed to respond for a few moments.
Though he had many things to figure out, Draxxis did not want to be left alone to figure them out. ?What was it you came here to ponder??The black dragon lay back down again. His head held high.
?For years,? he said slowly, ?we?ve fought the Aegis and have barely succeeded in keeping their forces from over-running the whole of the world. Even with the powers we are given as Gifted, it has still been a long fight. Have you ever stopped to think why it?s taken so long??
It was flattering to the red dragon to even be asked such a question. His voice was low, almost a rumble as he replied. ?There are too few of us dragons, and the naka are not strong enough.? He felt confident of his answer. There could be no other explanation.
The answer was quite a rebuke to Draxxis, although Mordoth worded it softly and kindly. ?No,? he said even slower still with a bit of sadness in his voice. ?No.? a long sigh that could only come from one with lungs the size of an adult dragon?s issued from the black dragon.
?The Aegis fight with a common purpose: to over-run the living of Istaria. Can we really say the same of ourselves?"
Draxxis?s mind echoed again the voice of Plink, ?You want power, Draxxis?? The echo only served to further confuse the younger dragon. ?I?m not sure I understand what you mean, honored leader.?
Mordoth slowly rose, stretched his wings and began to hover slightly above Draxxis. ?Do the living races fight united in cause as the Aegis does? Are we really united? Or are we still fighting the battle on both fronts??
Draxxis lifted his head to look his guild master in the eye. ?I don?t understand what you?re asking.?
Mordoth looked to the sky and began flying off. ?Maybe if I understood the answers myself, I could better explain the questions. Travel safely, young Draxxis. Someday we?ll find those answers, and the Aegis with all their forces, won?t be able to stand against us.?
Draxxis watched the older dragon slowly disappear flying out over the ocean. Alone with his thoughts once more, the red dragon lowered himself to the ground and huffed slightly. Two questions burning so brightly in his mind that he was completely self-absorbed. ?You want power, Draxxis?? the tinny voice of the dryad was mixing with the deep rumble of what his guild master had asked. ?Are we really united??
Right before the sounds of battle reached his ears, Draxxis could hear the slow and almost stupid sounding grind of Tokoz?s voice in the depths of his memories. ?You are alone, aren?t you, Draxxis??
But the obvious battle happening nearby pulled the red dragon from his thoughts and he quickly took to flight to see where the battle was. It wasn?t far. A small dark blue dragon was completely surrounded by the ghosts that haunted the peak. One of the attackers was Eliel the Hunter, Draxxis had met that ghost before.
Not taking much time to completely size up the battle beyond the fact that the hatchling was looking much more hurt than his attackers, the red dragon swirled down and landed in the middle of the fray.
?Need a little assistance, young one?? Draxxis asked with almost a little rare laughter in his voice, as he started to claw the attackers that surrounded the two. The red dragon had made sure that he had landed with his back to the hatchling?s for better protection, so was not able to see the expression of anger that erupted from the hatchling.
?I am Metaniono, not ?young one.?? the hatchling responded obstinately . ?And I plan on doing this ascension myself. I don?t need any help!?
?You don?t stand a chance, I can hold them back long enough for you to recall, Metaniono.? Draxxis responded, with a touch of respect for one so independant. ?But you have too many on you for both of us to handle.? Another ghost fell before the red dragon, but more seemed to be coming. ?You can try again later.?
?I?ll do this alone!? the hatchling insisted.
Still fighting too hard to even see the little dragon behind him, Draxxis called out without even turning his head, ?I?ll meet you in Dralk. I can maybe at least find one that will help with your armor and you can try this alone again.?
An arrow in his back forced Draxxis to turn suddenly and found himself face to face with Elial, the body of the hatchling laying in tatters at his feet. Realizing there was no more reason to fight, Draxxis took to wing. It hurt his pride slightly to have to withdraw, but he felt a deep desire to meet up with Metaniono as soon as possible.
He watched as the attackers made a few vain attempts to hit him, and then turned and left. The body of the small hatchling lay there for long enough that the red dragon was beginning to wonder if perhaps it had not been one of the Gifted, but after a moment, it faded, apparently to return to wherever it?s soul had been bound.
Draxxis landed and took a few arrows before he was able to recall himself to Dralk. He strutted to a nearby dragon and asked with a careful tone.
?A small hatchling, Metaniono...? he looked around as he talked to the yellow dragon before him gave a quizzical look. ?Did he recall here??
?I don?t know any hatchling by that name,? the yellow dragon responded, ?what did he look like??
Draxxis gave the description, and the first dragon and several others who had overheard him and saw his desperation, responded that no hatchling like that had been to the bind stone. So next he went to Chiconis, where he was told the same thing. The guard there even mentioned that he?d met most hatchlings going through their rite of passage, but hadn?t heard of one named Metaniono.
?Doesn?t even sound like a dragon name to me.? someone else said.
Thinking that maybe Metaniono had bound to one of the naka-duskael shrines, Draxxis next tried Kion. As he was asking around there a familiar voice said, ?Mew?? Draxxis turned to face Starlight. ?I can?t imagine why a dragon would even be named that.? she said.
Something about the sureness with which Starlight said that stopped the red dragon. The panic left him for a moment and he was able to look the saris directly in the eyes.
?What do you mean, Starlight?? he asked with more respect than he?d ever given to a saris before.
?Mew,? she responded, ?Metaniono is an old word from the Sslik language. I don?t even think they use it anymore. I can?t imagine a dragon would know the word let alone name a hatchling that.?
?What does it mean?? Draxxis asked slowly, the realization coming to him that he might never see that hatchling again.
?It means to turn around basically. The sslik used to use it to refer to the time when the other, non-saris races, stopped fighting against them and joined them in the fight with the Withered Aegis.?
Draxxis stood still for a moment. Not that long ago the thought of a naka-duskael word being used to name any dragon would have set him to rage, but now he found himself unable to say anything.
?Mew?? Starlight asked.
?It couldn?t mean anything else??
?Well,? Starlight said, ?I supposed there?s enough languages out there... But that?s what I know it to mean.?
And somehow Draxxis also knew that Sslik word was exactly what the name was supposed to mean.

Draxxis soared over Lesser Aradoth, taking in the sights below with a look of distain. He could recall with great accuracy how he spent his time hunting the "Walking firewood" in the old forest below. That was before the Dryads, like Plink, took it upon themselves to "beautify" his island. Despite how much time Draxxis spent in solitude, there was an aspect of it that he hated. When he was alone with nothing but his mind to keep him company, he could not escape his thoughts and feelings. Those were things he dreaded more than a hundred Shadow Dragons. So he often kept himself occupied when he was alone, allowing him to focus everything on a single task, leaving no room for distracting ?feelings?
With much on his mind, Draxxis circled the forest north of the Lake of Crystal Tears, and spotted a particularly arrogant tree. It was stretching it's branches and leaves in a mocking gesture - obviously challenging the mighty Red Dragon. Swooping down towards it on a sharp angle, Draxxis tensed his limbs and struck out at many branches on his way down. He felt the bark tear easily under his talons, but knew that the tree was imbued with the powerful magic of the Dryads. It would regenerate quickly. Hitting the ground, Draxx raised himself onto his hind legs and expelled his fiery breath against the trunk. He growled as he watched the tree fail to catch fire, moist with life and vigor. Falling onto all fours, he spun in a great arc, smashing his tail into the side of the oversized plant. The tree shook with the force, and some leaves floated to the ground - Draxx however, regretted his attack and winced in pain. He snarled loudly, and quickly looked around to make sure none had seen the tree's victory.
Huffing with his bruised tail and ego, Draxxis leapt into the air and with a powerful downbeat was quickly soaring through the air towards his volcano lair. He scanned the ground below him, carefully looking for any other arrogant plants that dare challenge him. As he flew above the fork in the road that led up to the volcano, he smelt a putrid stench and scowled as he veered towards the source. ?Aegis...?
He dipped below the canopy, staying between the massive trees as he sped along side the road. He could see a group of skeletons and ghosts, led by a Lieutenant, stalking along the path. They would be no match for a Lunus like Draxxis, and he knew it full well. He turned slightly, plotting a course to intercept the patrol in clearing up ahead. He kept his eye on them as he drew closer, and waited for them to appear again as one of the huge trees blocked them from view. When the tree passed from his line of sight, Draxxis stiffened in flight - caught off guard by what he suddenly saw. There was a hatchling in the midst of the patrol, clawing fiercely and enduring blows from their blighted weapons. There was no mistaking the color of scales and poise of the hatchling that was fighting. Draxxis would never forget such a dragon.
?Metaniono!?
The distraction was severe, and before he knew what was going on Draxxis was caught in the branches of a huge tree. He struggled and began to bounce from limb to limb like a sack of heavy rocks. Hitting the ground, Draxxis growled in frustration and sprinted towards where he last saw the Aegis and hatchling. As he ran, he could feel his chest begin to grow warm. It wasn't from the fire within that fueled his breath, but something else. Something different.
?He's alive!?
He recalled his experience with the hatchling from a week before and how he?d thought he?d not see the young bold one again. Now, Draxxis had found the hatchling.
He reached the small clearing where he last saw Metaniono, but there was no sign of him or the Aegis. Looking around, Draxxis reasoned the small dragon had learned a valuable lesson from his trip to the Peak, and had no doubt retreated when he realized the Aegis' forces were superior. He bounded fast along the trail, grinning in genuine delight and his mind raced with this discovery. Never before in his life had Draxxis felt so blessed to have been so wrong.
?Now I?ll train him properly. Forge him into the powerful weapon I know he can be. Brave enough, yes, but he lacks some discipline and wisdom. He will become a force the Aegis will not wish to reckon with!?
In the back of his mind, Draxxis couldn't believe he was saying such great things about another dragon. The rest of him however, was too exuberate to care. It was more than the simple guilt being banished. Draxxis respected the young hatchling, and was truly happy to know he was alive and well. A feeling of relief and concern for another, made him feel stronger than he would have ever thought before. Had he not been so ecstatic, he might have recalled Plink's words about ?power.?
After some time on the path, Draxxis began to wonder when he would catch up with the hatchling and the Aegis that were pursuing him. ?He may be faster than the Aegis, but I am much faster than them both.? Thus he pushed himself a little harder to catch up, as concern began to take hold. As he rounded a final turn and approached the fork in the road, Draxxis froze and skidded to a halt. On the other side of a living arch, made from the roots of a tree, were the Aegis?walking slowly at a measured pace. There obviously had been no pursuit. They seemed oblivious of anything around them. Confused, Draxxis began to reflect on what happened. Slowly, a cold chill crept along his spine as realization set it.
Metaniono did not fight the Aegis. He recalled the words of those he questioned while he searched for the hatchling. Nobody had heard of him. They found his name odd, even for a dragon. Now, Draxxis wondered if he even fought along side the hatchling. Though he didn't understand why or how these things happened, Draxxis knew there was no need to. It simply was. He stared for a long time as the Aegis walked off. He felt no rage, only the calm peace that comes with accepting a truth that has been refused for so long.

?I will never forget you, Metaniono?