Thread: Ocean Surface files?

Tahrl

Default Ocean Surface files?

It seems that everytime the patcher downloads files there are quite a few files named Ocean_Surface_...included in the download. I've always assumed that these files relate to how we see water depicted in-game. Do these files really change that much from patch to patch that they need to be constantly refreshed?

Default Re: Ocean Surface files?

its not actually downloading them, its scanning them to ensure they are present, and the sheer numbers of the files give the illusion that its doing something with them.

As an example in my HZ directory there are a total of 40,487 files, and something like 4,000 are water files.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

I'm not positive, but I think these have to do with controlling the appearance of waves lapping against the land.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

There are waves?? i have never seen waves.
    Laneth Drethor
    Semper Fidelis (Chaos)
    100 Paladin
    100 Mason/100 Blacksmith (and various others)
    "Eleena the Fiesty's Pali Pet"

Not geometry, just a few layers for a shoreline texture that move around a bit. The command to enable or disable that effect escapes me though.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

I've never noticed any waves before either ... until recently. Maybe I've never just payed enough attention before, or maybe these files have something to with it. Either way, I'm glad to now be seeing some water movement.
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

If you stand on the hill west to floating island and look down to the lake....there are waves all over the surface ! (Noticed them the first time 2 weeks ago, because I'm really not often there).

As a bit of trivia, there have been different wave patterns, ranging from static to "rays" to quite realistic wave motion. As I remember, the original pattern was quite realistic, but waschanged to static in order to improve client performance at the seaside. Last I looked, I liked the current pattern.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Thread Information