Thread: Give the "spoons" something more!

Default Give the "spoons" something more!

By spoons, I'm referring to the classes that do not have both melee(/ranged) and magic incorporated with them - Berserker, Crossbowman, Elemental Archer, Monk, Scout, Spearman and Warrior.

I'm sure we're all aware that players that have spoons as their main classes are far and few. Why? The ability to cast a vast amount of spells aswell as being able to use melee skills efficiently is (and I'll say this very loosely) overpowering.

I'll explain my class labeling a little more densely; knives being the classes that are mainly melee(/ranged) with small spell skill gains and forks being the classes that are mainly spell casters with small melee skill gains.

i.e.
    Knives - Battlemage (can also effectively be a fork, however), Chaos Warrior, Guardian, Knight of Creation, Paladin, Ranger, Reaver and the 4 Disciples.
    Forks - Blood Mage, Conjurer, Druid, Mage, Shaman, Sorcerer, Spiritist and Wizard.
    Spoons - mentioned above.

Note: I left out Cleric and Healer because although they attack with melee(/ranged - Healer and xbow), and thus making them spoons, they are a fork in many situations. And I don't feel like making a "Spork" category.

Why have I labeled the classes like so?

Well, if you consider a dinner table with a load of main course dishes, you have to choose which piece(s) of cutlery to use. Essentially (excepting a few - pasta, etc.) the spoon is used by itself, whereas the knife and fork are very frequently used together.

The same thing can be said about horizons and its adv system, with the dishes being equivalent to mobs. The spoons are rarely (sometimes if ever) used as main classes since they are effective in only a few situations, whereas the knives and forks are quite frequently found with both backing eachother up (Druid/Shaman + Guardian, for example) and thus are effective in almost all situations.

In regards to the pasta, etc. dishes, I'd like to relate that to the small bonuses that a spoon gets when multi-classed with a fork (XX Bolt YY, XX Revitalize YY, XX Attack YY, etc.).

"So what exactly is this guy's suggestion?" You may be asking yourself after reading all the crap above.

Well, I've thought of a few (perhaps a little farfetched) answers;
    - All spoons inherit quested abilities that convert their damage to any type of damage (with spirit NOT being ethereal) for a certain amount of time. e.g. damage conversion to mind for 1 min, 10 min cooldown. Or something vaguely similar.
    - All spoons inherit a special line of spell that only they can acquire and use. I can think up of a bunch right now: Wind, Water, Earth, Sound, Light, Shadow... Spells that require such skill, I think, would be ones that are only really used to get out of a sticky situation. e.g. Monk xxx casts Shadow replication (creates 1 other being per tier that do not deal damage, but confuse the enemy that leads to them attacking the replications - which is prolly not possible as the game is now... Just increase their dodge/evasion or something ;)). These spells would be limited to user-only-buffing effects, however they would be undispellable and last a fairly short time (30-60 secs).
    - All spoons inherit 11 in their main weapon skill and also 7 1hc/1hs/1hp, which eases the pain (talking solo here) of multi-classing a little for schools like Beserker and Spearman who do not currently gain skills outside of their main attack skill.
    - All spoons have their epic spells/abilities worked on and implemented first :). This is already in motion now with the coming Burning Archer...

That's about all I have to blabber on about for now. Please forgive any and all sketchiness about my post, I wrote this up fairly quickly.

Yays? Nays? Additions?
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Give the "spoons" something more!

Being a spoon myself (19 Warrior only), I'm just curious. Why doesmy damage need to be converted to anything? I'm using a sword or a crossbow (or a masonry trowel or tanning blade or mining pick or tree axe or essence siphon or stone chisel and in some cases even woodsaw or fitting mallet or carpentry hammer). They do physical, body damage (well, except for the mental aspect of embarassment for having just been killed by a guy wielding a sewing needle). I could definitely see a need for the prowess and skill of the weapon usage to be increased (depending on what is deemed the main aspects of the class) to make the classes more appealing for those that rely specifically on the weapon in hand. Maybe certain class weapons could be added (yes, this requires new forms as well), such as a Warrior's blade which, when in the hands of a warrior, adds extra damage and/or extra to-hit. Spearman's spears, again, same thing. Scout's uh, daggers? , monk's staves, archer's bows, crossbowman's crossbows, berserker's axes? blades? what do berserkers use as weapons?

I could see having a set of epic quests, but for sake of balance, you would also have to include certain epic quests for the other classes as well. Something to really push a differentiation of the classes.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

As a proud spoon, ( scout ) I would love to see some class defining self-buff only abilities added to us.

The two I have mentioned before are, an invisibility that lasts 60 seconds with a 20 min recycle, and an additional 60 second unbreakable sprint. I already have one of the only AOE's that can be performed by a bow user ... spray of arrows. Thankfully they have not made this masterable! So, I'm not sure what kind of epic you could even give us. Also, scouts already get 8 in 1hs/1hp/1hc so don't need help there really. Perhaps upping shield to 9 per level would be very nice.

I do fully agree that other spoons need some help in this area.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Hmmm.....I like the idea. Would prefer an easier coding method - say introduce potions or tinkered items (flash/bang packs for a stun/escape option for instance) that could only be used by certain Primary (Active Classes).

I'm not sure what would be harder/faster to code tho....

Bulgrim
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

there is no spoon.

Leave my spoon(berzerker) alone! Yes, I agree. But I like working hard for what I get. A sense of accomplishment. I am working on other classes to help my spoon by recommendation ofa mentor of mine who maybe leaving the game. I like the solitude of a berzerker.

Could use some boars masks though :)

Jayne

Thread Information