Thread: Overlay walkways, possible??

Martal Bau

Default Overlay walkways, possible??

Is it possible to overlap walkways so that they actually look like a single connected walkway and not just a series of tiles??

Like do you need to build one section before you can place another??

Thanx.

Default Re: Overlay walkways, possible??

When you are in the planning stage, you can add (+) multiple items before you hit
    the Build button. That allows you to move them around and actually walk through
    the site and look at how they are placed. Haven't tried fitting any walkways together
    yet so I don't know how close they can get before they conflict...

Clare

Just use the adjust buttons. There are 4 of them on the left that, when pushed, will snug the structure up against whatever is in that direction. If necessary you can change the movement to 1cm to adjust it side to side.

Martal Bau

Quote Originally Posted by Senkeleron Fell
    When you are in the planning stage, you can add (+) multiple items before you hit
    the Build button. That allows you to move them around and actually walk through
    the site and look at how they are placed. Haven't tried fitting any walkways together
    yet so I don't know how close they can get before they conflict...
    Hence my problem. Best I could tell there was a conflict if 2 sections of walkway were flush with each other or with a building. I thought I remembered in the past you could build a section, complete it, then place down another section, and that would allow you to overlap the walkway pieces.

If not, then we totally need some more walkway choices (a 1 meter section would go a long way towards helping) because it's pretty hard to get a walkway that connects buildings & looks like a single connected walkway.

There is an arrow looks like ->| and |<- and one like that that faces up and one down .. if the piece is clear of any building (so is in white outline) you can use them to align right up to the front of the building.

Ah, Martal, I see your issue. Yes. I laid down walkways last night and had to use some small intersection tiles artistically scattered at angles as stepping stones rather than have a complete walkway to some structures.

You can align the ends of walkways by the Align feature and by micro-stepping the position until the edges match, but you cannot overlap in order to get a short extension. Sorry. I have a rube goldberg set of parallel paths in order to look like "I meant to do that" ... :) just to get around the limits of the few choices of length.

I'd love to have stepping stones as a buildable item. And gravel paths, possibly even the choice of drawing a straight or curved path and having a walkway applied to it with construction requirements based on length. *goes off into a reverie on the possibility of a home design MMORPG, all house construction, all the time ...* I want flower bushes, low hedges, knee walls, more varieties of wood fencing, cobblestones, tiki torches, ponds, lanterns, grass instead of dirt, access to the various trees and ground clutter scattered about Istaria, home food gardens ... *drools*

Though I am very impressed with how powerful the planning interace is already.

-Levity Merrel

Belot

The only pieces of walkway you can overlap are the encaps, they can work well for filling that small space that there is not a 1m piece for.

The only pieces of walkway you can overlap are the encaps, they can work well for filling that small space that there is not a 1m piece for.

And if you don't want the ends to decline towards groundlevel, but need them as high as the rest, then just turn the endcap around, and shove the declining part all into the former piece of flooring. You then just get a simple, stayingjust as high as the rest, strip of pathway added. You can put more endcaps in a row like that.[:)]
    (And now for some pie-shaped pieces of pathway and flooring coming in...<hint hint>[:D])

Quote Originally Posted by Belot
    Actually I was having some trouble with the endcaps recently. When I was laying them out I could place them fine and it would report not conflicts on over-lap, but once it was set to build (resources not applied though) I was no longer able to build anything in front of it. (by in front I mean in front of the downward sloping end). In my particular case I was trying to place a tree, which was reporting no conflict errors (no yellow or red lines) but when I hit the build button, it would start, then error out saying that it was overlapping an existing structure. As far as I could tell when I hit the build button it was suddenly treating the short endcap like a 3x3 block instead. I had a similar problem on another part of my plot where it was still a good distance from a stone pillar, but if you imagined the endcap to be a 3x3 square, you would see that it would probably be running into the pillar and therefor errored out on the build.
    Gilresk Tesskril, Cleric and Armorer of Crai Aisling of Order
    Owner of the Mahagra Bed & Breakfast for Wayward Elves - Newly renovated in the Glaciers

Thread Information