Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Dragon Language

Default Another Dragon Language

Here it is... This is the guide that Tokoz wrote for the alternate dragon language...

Tokoz?s Guide to the Dragon Language

By Tokoz Honorforged
    With help and stabilization by Celly Leafsong

Preface

Why me? That?s probably the big question those who know me are asking. Well? I don?t know. I suppose it had to be a Helian at least. The Lunus wouldn?t do it. And because I actually had to be taught our native language later in life (my first language was common), it made sense to I?d at least have to take notes on what I was learning.
    Celly pestered me too and tried to make it sound like a really noble endeavor, until not only was I convinced that it could be done, I was convinced that I could do it mostly by myself.
    So here it is: a basic primer on speaking Krieg Praefer, probably the oldest language in Istaria, and surely the best.

Tokoz Honorforged

Pre-Lesson

Basic Vowels

(Word stinks for this, so there will be a Word version and a WordPerfect version.)

A vowel by itself is pronounced as a short vowel. To make the vowel long, an e is added after it. This is only done with the standard vowels, a e i o and u. In addition to these soft vowels, the dragon language adds four hard vowels, k z g and s. These are pronounced pretty much on their own, with maybe in some cases (especially if a biped is trying to pronounce it) a slight soft vowel following. These would sound like ka, ze, ga, and se respectively. There is only one form of the hard vowels.
    Observant people will notice that there is no oo as in book, and ee as in keep sound mentioned above. That is because these sounds are very hard to form for dragons. When dealing with dragons speaking common, it is important to remember that they are very self-conscious about saying words with those sounds in them. Some Lunus dragons will even refuse to speak the sounds, replacing them instead with e and oe.

Tense

There are only three forms of tense to dragons and they are not always used. New hatchlings and very old dragons (who no longer care about such things as time) are excused generally from their use.
    A hatchling who fails to use the proper tense would be prompted to do so if there was some confusion. (ie Did you mean, ?I want gnome for dinner? or ?I wanted gnome for dinner.? or ?I will want gnome for dinner.??)
    Very old dragons, whether the dropping of tense is due to pride or senility (I?m not implying that the two are the same), are never prompted no matter how confusing what they said becomes. The confusion is accepted. Interestingly enough, however, this makes it so that pride is very rarely a factor for a dragon dropping tense. If they do so simply because they want others to acknowledge their age, then they are stuck with others being confused for the rest of their long lives. To do otherwise would be to admit they were faking it, which would be viewed badly.
    As will be demonstrated in later lessons, tense is shown by a modifier to the subject of the sentence. No other parts of the sentence are changed. The standard form of the subject means that the sentence is referring to something that is happening now, while a suffix of ?tae? refers to the past and ?gr? (remember g is a hard vowel) refers to the future.

Lesson 1: Existance
    Referring to oneself is the beginning of learning any language. As a matter of fact, the first three words most dragons learn are ?mother,? ?father,? and ?I.? Not necessarily in that order.
    In this and all lessons I will start with the common word and then demonstrate the dragon word. In cases where the accent is constant between all clans, I?ll demonstrate the accent. If no accent guide is given, that means that either I forgot to put one in, or that some clans might pronounce the word differently.

I (am) - Ri
    I have - Ritae (riTAE)
    I will - Rigr (riGR)

You said that very well, but to really develop the proper accent, you need to think more about someone growling. Saris usually have the easiest time grasping the dragon accent.
    While dragons do greatly enjoy referring to themselves, they do find it necessary at times to refer to others. There are two ways they can do this, formally and informally. Informal is very used in dragon society. The use of the informal seems to have come into their society to refer to bipeds.
    The hatchling that refers to an adult or ancient dragon by the informal might as well have defecated in their elder?s repast, for all the insult that it gives.
    As with many other areas of dragon society the two forms are used differently by the factions. Lunus continue with the traditional use of the formal for dragons only. There are cases of dragons being exiled from Dralk for referring to a biped by the formal.
    Helian have expanded (and thus, according to the Lunus, belittled) the use of the formal, but expanding its use to all allied races. There are then, some words that are only used by the Helians.
    Here?s one formal way to refer to someone else:
    you (are) - bemi (BEmi)
    you have - bemitae (bemiTAE)
    you will - bemigr (bemiGR)
    Very good. Remember that emphasis changes with tense, so present tense almost doesn?t sound related to future and past tense. Now for the informal.
    you (are) - di (di)
    you have - ditae (diTAE)
    you will - digr (DIgr)
    Emphasis is reversed on that last one, so be careful.
    Next, we?re going to cover the formal pronouns. Note again that Lunus only use the formal in referring to other dragons. They also refrain from using the generative (referring to what gender someone is) except in cases where it must be used for biped races. A female ruxus might be referred to as a she by a Lunus dragon, but a female Saris is still an ?it.?
    Ok, we?ll do some pronouns now, starting with the formal for he and she.
    he (is) - nech she (is) - noch
    he was - nechtae (nechTAE) she was - nochtae (nochTAE)
    he will - nechgr (nechGR) she will - nochgr (nochGR)
    Once you have those down, it makes the informal pretty simple.
    he (is) - ech she (is) - och
    he was - echtae (echTAE) she was - ochtae (ochTAE)
    he will - echgr (echGR) she will - ochgr (ochGR)
    There are two forms of the neuter generative in the language. For the sake of simplicity, I?ll refer to them as it (unknown) and it (known). It (unknown) is used in cases where the gender is not known, or unspecified. An example would be in writing, where referring to the reader directly. The writer has no way of knowing the gender of the reader, so uses the pronoun it (unknown). An unhatched hatchling would also be referred to as an it (unknown).
    Unknown Known
    it (is) - kir it (is) - st (sT)
    it was - kirtae (kirTAE) it was - st?tae (st?TAE)
    it will - kirgr (kirGR) it will - stgr (stGR)
    Next for ways to refer to groups.
    we (are) - rano
    we were - ranotae (RAnotae)
    we will - ranogr (RAnogr)
    The last pronoun of the lesson also uses a formal and informal and follows the same guidelines for use based on faction as are used for all other pronouns we?ve discussed so far.
    Formal Informal
    they (are) - mala they (are) - grala
    they were - malatae (malaTAE) they were - gralatae (gralaTAE)
    they will - malagr (malaGR) they will - gralagr (gralaGR)

Hopefully this gives you enough of an idea of how to use tense that you?ll be ok in the future lessons. Remember, only the subject gets the tense modifier. Apostrophes are used in writing to prevent confusion if a vowel is repeated, as in st?tae.

Lesson 2: Greetings and Farewells
    There are three classes of greeting to dragons: ceremonial, formal, and informal. This lesson covers all three and in that order. The student is cautioned very strongly on the first and last classes: only use them if prompted to do so by your listener.
    Dragons in general find great humor in the ceremonial greeting being used when unnecessary and are quick to take offense if an informal greeting is used where the formal is demanded. Knowing when to use the formal versus the informal is best suited to a book on etiquette, not language, but a speaker but a speaker who always uses the formal should never offend anyone. The other forms of greeting are provided so that if prompted, one may use them.

Ceremonial Greeting
    This greeting is only used (as the name implies) during dragon ceremonies by specific people at specific times. Fortunately, by the time Sleeper was destroyed, this set of phrases was being spoken pretty much by rote, or it would cause cultural pain to hear it out of context.
    Two dragons approach each other and the younger lowers its head and says:

The sun shines on the Sleeper?s back.
    K daenar daena tak k daelar?fa kama.

The younger dragon then raises it?s head to look the elder in the eye and the older dragon says:

May it always shine on your wings in flight.
    Da st?gr daefa daenar tak bemi?fa masto?g daefar.

Nice, but not very practical, or lefg, as the dragons say. It should be easy to see why it would be amusing to say out of context. (Right: Funny to a dragon. ?Celly)

Titles and Formal Greetings
    Dragons do have titles that they use for each other before the name, similar to saying ?Mr.? or ?Mrs.?. Neither faction would ever dream of using a dragon title on a non-dragon. When speaking to another race then, no title is used, only the name.
    Age of Dragon Title
    Hatchling Banar (baNAR)
    Adult Praefer (PRAEfer)
    Ancient Krieg
    A title is never used without the name following it, although use of the name does not require use of the title.

Formal Greetings
    Formal greetings have fallen out of use by bipeds today except, oddly enough, in the military, where they are referred to usually as the ?greeting of the day.?
    The usual form is in two parts. The first part is either ?good? or if the dragon issuing the greeting is in a more pensive or even religious mood, ?Drulkar?s?
    good - salak (salAK)
    Drulkar?s - Drulkar?fa (DRUkarfa)
    The second part refers to the time of day.
    morning - varnas (varNAS)
    afternoon - betak (beTAK)
    evening - akdae (akDAE)
    So to greet someone in the morning, one would say either ?Salak varnas? or ?Drulkar?fa varnas.?
    Sometimes if they time is not known, or if the person is new to the language and wants to remember only a single form of greeting, one could say ?Salak daenar? or simply ?Good day.?
    So if someone were formally greeting me then, they could say, ?Salak daenar, Praefer Tokoz.?
    The proper response to a formal greeting varies slightly up to this point. One option is to simply return the greeting.
    Celly: ?Salak daenar, Praefer Tokoz? Good day, dragon Tokoz.
    Tokoz: ?Salak daenar, Celly.? Good day, Celly.
    In all cases the following answer can be applied, but its more likely if the greeting started with Drulkar?fa.?
    Celly: ?Drulkar?fa belak, Praefer Tokoz.? Drulkar?s morning, dragon Tokoz.
    Tokoz: ?St, Celly.? It is, Celly.
    The response, ?st,? is used often in religious ceremonies to allow the audience to acknowledge something that was said. It?s similar, but more mellow than the biped, ?amen.?
    Another type of formal greeting is the clutch motto, or guild motto (in dragon only guilds). This would be something that a person would say when greeting anyone, either of their clutch or guild or not. A motto might be something like ?Masto?g faema!? or ?Wings up!?
    The one receiving the greeting then responds with their own clutch or guild motto. The correct response to a guild or clutch greeting when you don?t have one, is NOT to repeat back the motto, but rather to simply give the greeting of the day (good morning, good day, etc?)

Informal Greetings
    After getting this far, the reader is probably wondering, ?My word, can?t dragons just say, ?hi??? The answer is yes, but really only between friends or at the very least, regular acquaintances. These are the equivalents of ?hi? and ?hello.?
    hi - dae hello - daenar
    Notice that these words also refer to ?light? and ?day? respectively.

Farewells
    There isn?t a formal way to say goodbye. There?s just several ways to say it and one simply chooses the one that?s most appropriate to the situation. In any case where salak is used, Drulkar?fa may be used in it?s place.
    good night - salak grt
    good morrow (see you tomorrow) - salak tamadaenar
    goodbye - salak maloe
    bye - maloe
    see you later - fallidaenar
    (and my personal favorite)
    Don?t let a tail wind beat you.
    Falk ak zepa s ramat yaenar fatan bemitae.
    The last one sounds really informal, but its used usually like a ?break a leg? or ?go and get ?em.?

Lesson 3 ? Numbers, Times, and Dates

Numbers
    If a dragon is writing a specific number, then one uses the numeral. If a dragon is referring to (in the case of Lunus) a group of ten or less dragons or (in the case of Helian) ten or less dragons and/or bipeds, the number is written out.
    zero - slar
    one - afa
    two - grot
    three - mal
    four - jat
    five - dat
    six - sat
    seven - sef
    eight - tab
    nine - afabit
    ten - bit
    From 11 to 19 are just a case of saying ?bit? followed by the second digit. 11 would be ?bit-afa,? 12 would be ?bit grot,? and so forth. For higher numbers, the number is a compound word of ten and its first digit if below 100. So 58 would be datbit-tab and 99 would be afabitbit-afabit (which is sometimes used as a tongue twister by hatchlings.
    Higher numbers follow a similar pattern to common.
    hundred - mas
    thousand - tas
    million - kumo
    So, I?ll just give a few examples of large numbers to give the reader an idea.
    3,247,591 ? malkumo, grotmas jatbit-sef tas, datmas afabitbit afa.
    47,000,000 ? jatbit-sef kumo

Times:
    Not much needs to be said about specific times, since they are simply numbers, but references to time units are given here.
    second - nali (or nali?afa)
    minute - naligrot
    hour - nalimal
    day - nalijat (or daenar)
    week - nalidat
    month - nalisat
    year - nalisef
    decade - nalitab
    century - nali?afabit
    millennia - nalibit
    from now - tafamit
    half -semater
    next -falli
    Notice that the base ?nali? is used in all cases. Don?t get confused and miss a time unit. One number of unit off can mean as much as 900 years!
    I?ll give some common usages:
    an hour and half from now - s afa nalimal migr s semater amit
    30 seconds - malbit nali?afa?g
    next week - falli nalidat
    Days of the week:
    Sunday - Afanalijat
    Monday - Grotnalijat
    Tuesday - Malnalijat
    Wednesday - Jatnalijat
    Thursday - Datnalijat
    Friday - Satnalijat
    Saturday - Sefnalijat
    Months follow the same pattern as days of the week:
    January - Afanalisat
    February - Grotnalisat
    March - Malnalisat
    April - Jatnalisat
    May - Datnalisat
    June - Satnalisat
    July - Sefnalisat
    August - Tabnalisat
    September- Afabitnalisat
    October - Bitnalisat
    November- Bitafanalisat
    December - Bitgrotnalisat

Dranar

Default Re: Another Dragon Language

Definitely a very good start to something here, Tokoz... ::he says as he reads over it, loving to learn new languages:: And it definitely is a fair bit easier to understand than the ancient Draconic... Tense is far easier than the odd bits one has to do for ancient (And most just forgo altogeterher).

Perhaps this might catch on? I wonder what others think as well.

~Allon

actually having used the other for the last year and a half I don' tsee me using this one..

And not only that but given how much this "dictionary" lacks, the only thing I'd be speaking in draconic using this would be personal inferences (I, You, We), numbers, months, and years, oh a greeting and "good day".

I realize its a beginning but, its got a long way to go to get to a "language" usage rather than just an "one word a setence I can use dragon..."

And that whole even allowing it to be used by bipeds thing..to me that makes no sense when considering a dragon and their ancient history - Helian being a relatively new thing when we're talking the entire time of the language. Classic "Helian" game lore still has them being superior, not equals.....just going on pure game there. But that could be just me...

For now, I'll stick with what I know.

Keeping in mind, KCE has added several words to the "copyright" dictionary, and it wouldn't be hard to add every single thing already done here, even following that languages' rules..(I.e. the months, or the periods of time, or whatever else people wanted to add....)

*shrugs* nice start though, good luck, if any use it around me I"ll look at them confusedly and ask for them to translate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae
    And not only that but given how much this "dictionary" lacks, the only thing I'd be speaking in draconic using this would be personal inferences (I, You, We), numbers, months, and years, oh a greeting and "good day".
    This isn't the dictionary. It's the primer for using the language. It gives a few examples of how some things work, that you won't be able to get from the dictionary once it goes online.

And that whole even allowing it to be used by bipeds thing..to me that makes no sense when considering a dragon and their ancient history - Helian being a relatively new thing when we're talking the entire time of the language. Classic "Helian" game lore still has them being superior, not equals.....just going on pure game there. But that could be just me...
    Bipeds, it does mention, can use the language. However, it's noted in the primer that when they use it, they are not able to correctly pronounce the hard vowels. I see nothing in the lore to support a language that cannot be taught and I've seen bipeds in the channel use the KCE language.

Keeping in mind, KCE has added several words to the "copyright" dictionary, and it wouldn't be hard to add every single thing already done here, even following that languages' rules..(I.e. the months, or the periods of time, or whatever else people wanted to add....)
    The advantage to this language is that once the website is up and running, people can submit words to be added to the dictionary and the author is readily available to add words. Also, translation should be easier as well. Because it's public domain, TG can use it if they want to and don't have to pay royalties...

I'm not insisting the language catch on, I'm just floating it out as a possibility.

Dranar

OOC, It's good that Bipeds can learn the language, I want it to be accessible to them, in fact ideas about HOW it would sound if they speak it are great!

Should they be speaking it... IC, well, Allon wouldn't teach them or help them at all. ;)

OOC, I always provide links and information to them where they can learn and answer questions.

Though even as Helian trained, I wouldn't teach Naka how to speak draconic! ::snorts at the thought:: I might great them in draconic though on occasion, but not heavily use it...

You have a good basis though for something here Tokoz, curious to see the dictionary and more. :)

~Allon

Ok, this is one way only and is formatted to go into the database where it should work both ways. This is just to give a sneak peek until we can get the search engine running...

"a"="s"
    "adult (dragon)"="praefer"
    "adult"="praefer (dragon)"
    "adult"="praeta"
    "aegis"="aegis"
    "afternoon"="betak"
    "ahead"="grzt"
    "allow"="zepa"
    "always"="daefa"
    "amethyst"="foltogz"
    "ancient (dragon)"="krieg"
    "ancient"="krieg (dragon)"
    "ancient"="krie"
    "and"="kap"
    "any"="rot"
    "anyone"="rot ata"
    "aquamarine"="tolaetoe"
    "armor"="toka"
    "aunt"="fastg"
    "back"="kama"
    "beat (defeat)"="fatan"
    "beat"="fatan (defeat)"
    "bar"="foeta"
    "behind"="toez"
    "best (defeat)"="fatan"
    "best"="fatan (defeat)"
    "biped"="naka"
    "black"="grp"
    "bleed"="takel"
    "blood"="tako"
    "blue"="daeyar"
    "boat"="wasz"
    "body"="matar"
    "bonding"="tasaemar"
    "bone"="mach"
    "brick"="foeka"
    "bronze"="gatar"
    "brother"="moeta"
    "brown"="wast"
    "bye"="malo"
    "cave"="temit"
    "chest (body)"="lam"
    "chest"="lam (body)"
    "chest (container)"="bastg"
    "chest"="bastg (container)"
    "citrine"="mafae"
    "claw"="faetodo"
    "cleric"="cloto"
    "cobalt"="bartae"
    "copper"="ris"
    "cotton"="jetsaem"
    "cut"="fitg"
    "cutting"="fitg"
    "daughter"="maechg"
    "defeat"="fatan"
    "desire"="grtoem"
    "desired"="grtoem"
    "desiring"="grtoem"
    "dexterity"="komak"
    "diamond"="brasaeg"
    "dig"="fet"
    "digging"="fet"
    "do"="falk"
    "dog"="drang"
    "dragon"="daefarata"
    "dryad"="natae"
    "dug"="fet"
    "elf"="nasato"
    "emerald"="somaz"
    "eternal"="tasae"
    "evening"="akdae"
    "fall"="maste"
    "falling"="maste"
    "father"="tonak"
    "fell"="maste"
    "fiend"="nabo"
    "fight"="sala"
    "fire"="et"
    "flax"="zet"
    "flight"="daefar"
    "float"="rakga"
    "floated"="ratga"
    "floating"="ratga"
    "flow"="ratzag"
    "flowed"="ratzag"
    "flowing"="ratzag"
    "focus"="rae"
    "foreleg"="gstfae"
    "forward"="chak"
    "fragment"="mistz"
    "gale"="nipe"
    "garnet"="mutag"
    "gather (meet together)"="fitsae"
    "gather"="fitsae (meet together)"
    "gather (harvest)"="host"
    "gather"="host (harvest)"
    "gathered (met together)"="fitsae"
    "gathered"="fitsae (met together)"
    "gathered (harvested)"="host"
    "gathered"=host (harvested)"
    "gathering (meeting)"="mars"
    "gathering"="mars (meeting)
    "gathering (harvesting)"="nasfo"
    "gathering"="nasfoe (harvesting)"
    "ghost"="fatoemaelak"
    "glass"="kalaem"
    "gnome"="nalaeko"
    "granite"="ogtorlae"
    "grey"="og"
    "go"="flitg"
    "goes"="flitg"
    "gone"="flitg"
    "gold"="glaris"
    "golem"="firtae"
    "good"="salak"
    "green"="fotaem"
    "hand"="faetodo"
    "hatchling"="banar"
    "have"="(past tense, add -tae)"
    "have (own)"="rist"
    "have"="rist (own)"
    "he"="nech (formal"
    "he (formal)"="nech"
    "he (informal)"="ech"
    "he"="ech (informal)"
    "heal"="martzo"
    "healed"="martzo"
    "healer"="martzae"
    "healing"="martzo"
    "health"="marto"
    "hello"="daenar"
    "hi"="dae"
    "hindleg"="stfae"
    "hoard"="glaftang"
    "home"="tellam"
    "horde"="glaft"
    "house"="tallat"
    "human"="natarfo"
    "hunt"="salart"
    "I"="Ri"
    "ice"="maetacktorlae"
    "in"="g"
    "iron"="ples"
    "it (unknown)"="kir"
    "it"="kir (unknown)"
    "it (known)"="st"
    "it"="st (known)"
    "jasper"="wis"
    "kill"="fatoe"
    "knight"="utach"
    "lair"="tallae?oe"
    "leave"="maktg"
    "leaving"="maktg"
    "left (leave)"="maktg"
    "left"="maktg (leave)"
    "left (direction)"="ngz"
    "left"="ngz (direction)"
    "let"="zepa"
    "life"="otaem"
    "light"="dae"
    "lighthouse"="daetella"
    "like"="faetor (similar)"
    "like (similar)"="faetor"
    "like (favor)"="gastoem"
    "like"="gastoem (favor)"
    "love"="bast"
    "malachite"="nutfgz"
    "may"="da"
    "mithril"="oglaris"
    "morning"="varnas"
    "mother"="atkoe"
    "nickel"="yan"
    "night"="grt"
    "node"="zamat"
    "not"="ak"
    "obsidian"="grptorlae"
    "on"="tak"
    "one (number)"="afa"
    "one"="afa (number)"
    "one (individual)"="ata"
    "one"="ata (individual)"
    "opal"="histark"
    "paladin"="robae"
    "pier"="matoef"
    "pierce"="dis"
    "pierced"="dis"
    "piercing"="dis"
    "pink"="ztg"
    "platinum"="flaste"
    "power"="fetem"
    "prime"="mastae"
    "primal"="mastaer"
    "purple"="jalem"
    "rage"="tod"
    "raged"="tod"
    "raging"="tod"
    "ran"="zet"
    "range"="moes"
    "red"="fla"
    "relationship"="cortsaez"
    "right (correct)"="fosgr"
    "right"="fosgr (correct)"
    "right (deserved)"="natgram"
    "right"="natgram (deserved)"
    "right (direction)"="agrz"
    "right"="agrz (direction)"
    "rite"="toesh"
    "rock"="torlae"
    "rosequartz"="rantaeka"
    "ruby"="roesmar"
    "run"="zet"
    "ruxus"="flakto"
    "sand"="torf"
    "sandstone"="naktorlae"
    "sapphire"="glomfsar"
    "saris"="nasar"
    "satyr"="nafabo"
    "see you later"="fallidaenar"
    "scale"="duskael"
    "self"="zem"
    "she (formal)"="noch"
    "she"="noch (formal)"
    "she (informal)"="och"
    "she"="och (informal)"
    "silk"="masg"
    "shine"="daena"
    "share"="palanie"
    "silver"="aris"
    "sister"="foga"
    "skeleton"="macht"
    "sky"="watiem"
    "slash"="semet"
    "slashed"="semet"
    "slashing"="semet"
    "sleep"="daela"
    "sleeper"="daelar"
    "son"="magrz"
    "spirit"="otaemet"
    "spiritist"="otaemetzae"
    "sslisk"="natob"
    "statue"="markfe"
    "steel"="yaft"
    "strength"="zaefer"
    "strike"="oep"
    "striking"="oep"
    "struck"="oep"
    "sun"="daenar"
    "swam"="jokar"
    "swim"="joker"
    "swipe"="oepz"
    "swiped"="oepz"
    "swiping"="oepz"
    "tail"="ramat"
    "the"="k"
    "they (formal)"="mala"
    "they"="mala (formal)"
    "they (informal)"="grala"
    "they"="grala (informal)"
    "together"="marto"
    "tomorrow"="fallidaenar"
    "torquise"="taefam"
    "uncle"="estgz"
    "undead"="westae"
    "up"="faema"
    "want"="mestig"
    "wanted"="mestig"
    "wanting"="mestig"
    "we"="rano"
    "weak"="nak"
    "will"="(future tense, add -gr)"
    "wind"="yaenar"
    "wing"="masto"
    "wither"="fortem"
    "withered"="fortem"
    "withering"="fortem"
    "without"="naka"
    "yellow"="dotaen"
    "you (formal)"="bemi"
    "you"="bemi (formal)"
    "you (informal)"="di"
    "you"="di (informal)"
    "water"="mataek"
    "white"="pakta"
    "wolf"="eldrag"
    "zombie"="jutak"

Quote Originally Posted by Dranar
    Though even as Helian trained, I wouldn't teach Naka how to speak draconic!
    Using the word list above, is that Biped or Without you wouldn't teach? [:P]

The word naka shouldn't mean both, should it?
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Naka Duskael= without scale
    Naka (often used by itself) = biped, but the root of the word is still without

"The sneetches without..." Most languages have a form of short hand.

"all"="beto"
    "none"="atbeto"
    "word"="farmot"

"almost"="tamtar"
    "Augendell"="nafetkatoe"
    "ceremony"="marsto"
    "Chiconis"="Chiconis"
    "coast (near the sea)"="fla"
    "coast"="fla (near the sea)"
    "coastal"="flagra"
    "city"="matemnar"
    "Dalimond"="Flagr'natarfomatem"
    "Dralk"=Dralk"
    "dwarf"="nafet"
    "Harro"="Harro"
    "Kirascant"="Nabobacoen"
    "giant"="naloem"
    "half"="semater"
    "halfgiant"="tamtarnaloem"
    "Mahagra"="tamtarnaloem'mars"
    "noise"="gzrel"
    "Rachival"="Nalaeko'gzrel"
    "Tazoon"="Tazoon"
    "tower"="bacoen"
    "town"="matem"
    "tunnel (noun)"="katoe"
    "tunnel"="katoe (noun)"
    "villiage"="mars"

Needed some more discriptive words. :) Keep PMing me if you think of more. :)

"beautiful"="filaet"
    "bright (intelligent)"="daefad"
    "bright"="daefad (intelligent)"
    "crazy"="distin"
    "eye"="motem"
    "foolish"="naka'imar"
    "intelligent"="daeform"
    "kind (hearted)"="daelien"
    "kind"="daelien (hearted)"
    "smart"="daekorm"
    "stupid"="batemar"

Bipeds, it does mention, can use the language. However, it's noted in the primer that when they use it, they are not able to correctly pronounce the hard vowels. I see nothing in the lore to support a language that cannot be taught and I've seen bipeds in the channel use the KCE language
    Hey they better not use it around Frith! Boyo! (IC wise..if I was IC....ooc wise I don't care..obviusly [:P])

And just becaue bipeds are using it does not imply nor infer that they have any inkling that with KCE's "Lore rules to the dragon language" says they shouldn't be allowed... (and again, any and all interpret those 'lore rules' as they wish, its not a party-line)

Few woudl have bothered to read my post explaining the "KCE lore logic technical hard line" about bipeds and dragon language, and even fewer visit KCE Forums to know it vs here. Heck our own members dont even know it - its not like its posted. Unless an old member directly tells them, they aren't gogin to just be able to 'reference' it ;).

just...talking about a lore device..heh..continue...

Needed some conjuntions:
    "but"="fa"
    "and"="toema"
    "or"="fama"

and some complements:
    "brave"="praef"
    "noble"="kreif"
    "small"="maerta"

I think most languages evolve, and change overtime and some suggested changed would be nice to help flesh out the currently used one. I've already heard once that it was refered to as KCE's language, which is incorrect. Even KCE doesn't claim it as their own, from my recollection. It predates Horizons significantly, and was first discussed,with links posted to the language back on Tazoons boards which I wish were still active. Sure, KCE has added in some Horizons lore to the existing language, and made it a bit more user friendly but that doesn't in my mind warrant their complete authority over it's "lore rules" or use in the Horizons community. It's after all, a language for dragons not a secret guild language which I'm sure they're not claiming it to be. Not all dragons speak it, and any additions made or suggested will be adopted by those who're interested in it regardless. Just my thoughts. I applaud the effort.

AKA Malloc of Dawn, ancient
    Here's to the Overlord, rest in peace.
    Keith Arlin Parkinson October 22, 1958 - October 26, 2005

"as"="gi"
    "for"="ma"
    "forever"="nakafalto"
    "here"="falt"
    "hope"="gremz"
    "of"="ti"
    "no"="nak"
    "there"=""afalt"
    "time"="falto"
    "well (in addition to)"="marf"
    "well"="marf (in addition to)"
    "will (power)"="mgr"
    "will"="mgr (power)"
    "wisdom"="dae'imar"
    "yes"="tagrh"

The main obstacle I have with most spoken Dragon languages (and why I end up shunning them for the most part) is that they are not sound-accurate. IE, they have sounds which Dragons would have VERY hard time making, like labials (most Dragons do not or are not rendered with lips). Thus, hard-labial consonants (p,b,m) would be impossible for most listeners to distinguish. Even soft-labial consonants (f,v,w) would be difficult. As an exercise for the reader, try speaking this post out loud with your lips wide open and using only your tongue, teeth, and nasal passage. Then think of the poor Dragon trying to speak any of these languages, including English.

I would also expect that there would some special kinds of Dragon sounds, like gutteral rumbles, purrs, hisses, etc could also be assigned some form of consonant or vowel representation.

Of course, Dragons could have written-only languages, which are scary things to develop in and of themselves, as most written languages are more or less directly related to their spoken counterparts. However, such languages are not good for conversing with other beings in their presence, unless the Dragon is going to spend time drawing in the dirt or scratching marks in stone tablets or nearby rocks.

This isn't meant to rip on Tokoz' or anyone else's invented language. I think that some of the language constructs and presented ideas are cool. I mainly wanted to point out "food for thought" style some of the things that aren't usually thought about that would make such a language even more cool and fun if they were.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

I couldn't agree more actually.

The trouble is by the time you start eliminating sounds, you're not left with much to work with in the realm of what people are familiar with. There are three added "sounds" the three hard vowels.

Dispite the pictures and such, I did assume that dragons have some form of lips or are capable of using a different part of the mouth to make the sound. Try saying the whole alphabet without your lips and you'll discover that most of it requires at least slight modification. Because of this and very prevelant legend that dragons do on occassion speak to humans, I assume their mouths have the capacity to form all words in English, but just like the japanese have difficulty saying Chevrolet (which is a french name, I'll add for those who might accuse me of bashing either French, American, or Japanese), there are some sounds that they are uncomfortable with.

There had to be a balance between usability and believability, because there was no way to accomplish both completely... How do you pronounce the dragon word, "gr?" I have no idea. :p

DragonBabel is a net based translator that is currently being tested off my guild website. We hope to have it running smoothly within the next week or so, but could use suggestions on "missing" words. :)

PM me if you notice any.

Didn't see anything that was updated recently on the website past early this year. What's the URL?

AKA Malloc of Dawn, ancient
    Here's to the Overlord, rest in peace.
    Keith Arlin Parkinson October 22, 1958 - October 26, 2005

I PMed you with it Frost. The site is still being tested and we KNOW it has some issues. Until that's corrected, we don't want the site being heavily used.

I added a bunch of new words today, going to repost with all of them in one big master list. :) Again if you see a word that you want and it's missing, let me know.
    a=s
    able=sakfae
    adult (dragon)=praefer
    adult=praefer (dragon)
    adult=praeta
    adventure=keft
    adventured=keft
    adventuring=keft
    aegis=aegis
    afternoon=betak
    ahead=grzt
    all=beto