After 6 years of Asheron's Call I was left feeling jaded. In the last 6 months I was only logging in and going through the motions. I finally called it quits, reluctantly. Then, out of nothing more than a passing fancy, I tried the 7-day trial for Horizons. I don't know why I was even trying to find an alternative to AC; I thought I was through with MMORPGs. Then I found something re-appearing inside me that I had lost quite a long time ago: a desire to log into a fantasy world and play. Actually to play and learn new things. I also found myself doing something that I hadn't done since the early days of AC: playing into the small hours of the morning. Because there's something about Horizons that keeps my interest. Maybe because it is a different game than AC; maybe it's the thrill of being a newbie all over again and having to discover what the world is offering. Just two nights ago (and I've only been playing HZ for 3 weeks) I finally could make some armor for myself and secondary characters. I am also on the verge of being able to imbue armor with some tier 1 techs. I have already done so with weapons.

HZ has its good points and its bad points, just like AC and every other MMORPG out there. I'm not saying it's "better-than-this-game" or "it's-worse-than-that-game"; it's different in its own way. It offers a style of gameplay that I've not encountered in AC or DAoC or Saga of Ryzom or UO (other games I've tried) and I think that is what has drawn me to the game. I have no idea what HZ was like in the past but I quite like a lot of what I've seen so far and hope the game continues to evolve and expand, most of all getting the player population up.