Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP/Flying

Default XP/Flying

I have a question about the change to xp, i.e., a flying dragon no longer gets credit for a kill.

Let me say I am all for it. TANSTAAFL and all that. Just flapping around overhead in blissful safety should not allow you to learn how to fight (and yes, I did get one level doing that before I begged off due to feeling that something wasn't right. If TG wants to dock Myrthwynn one level, that's fine with me. I sure didn't do it after they announced this pending change).

However, what about this situation: You are in a knock-down, drag-out fight with a mob. It's close, real close, but youhave put a DoT on the mob. Suddenly, an add arrives. There's nowhere to run. You bolt skyward for safety, a moment before the mob you were fighting so hard keels over from the last tick of damage from your Bite. Do you lose all xp for the first mob due to flying from the second?

In other words, does the mere act of being in flight at any moment during the fight negate all xp for the entire combat?

Myrthwynn Elendion, 40's/Flying

Default Re: XP/Flying

It's like any other sort of quick and reliable escape. You use it you loose the experience. I hope anyway. If you really want the experience that bad then you'll deal with the add.

you will get exp for all damage done to the monsters before you fly away

if you fly the database wont count you as a group member.

so if the group kills the mob you will get only the exp for the damage done while you fought with the group

Thanks, Vlisson, that seems fair. I just didn't know the software would track all the damage done and apportion xp thusly.

-Levity/Myrth

=)

its like if you die or run away (out of the reach of the group) then you get some exp (for the damage dealt with you)

so if you run away (in the group reach) you wont loose exp, but if you take the easy escape by fly then you pay the price

its seems fair to me too

and I was assuming....(heh)

that if you fly away, but come back before the end of the flight, land and continue fighting - you will still get your exp.

I did not think it was going to be "if you fly at all wether you come back and land or not you'll get nothing because you flew off at any point?"

Anyone know for sure? Just wondering...

A dragon cannot earn experience credit while flying. If you damage a monster, take off for a while, then land and kill the monster, you would get full experience. If you are on the ground while a group member takes the monster to half health, then you take off and the group member finishes off the monster, you would get half experience.

However, it has always been the case if you leave the vicinity of the monster to the point where it unloads, you lose all experience credit gained thus far on that monster.

gotcha - thanks for the clarification Smegman! :)

(and yes I'm with Levity, it was rather not fair someone could hover in flight and make exp. but wanted to clarify if the exp came back if you landed...i.e. in thos esituations you fly off to get out of a mob, land, heal yourself and run back) :)

Doest 'flight' is considered to be a full take off, or simply hitting the fly key? Is sure wouldn't like to lose my Xp for accidentally hitting my fly key.

Also, I don't find this fair at all to dragon. Will this change apply to the 'Sprint' skill too?

How many time a biped with low HP in a group hit Sprint and run out of range while the other group member finish the group?

Flying, running. I see no difference. Both get you away from the battle quickly. The difference is that you can still heal yourself or do action while sprinting. Nice dragon nerf, again.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

StalothHoard

There is a pretty big diffrence between flying and sprinting. Sprting still gets you killed because mobs spawn ontop of you and take a whack as you pass. If you fligh straight up, you will never get hit by something.

So I see this as quite fair. Sprinting to get away often puts you out of range for xp too, so it's hardly a dragon nerf.

Going off on a tangent... Last night I flew away from a monster and landed in a tree to try and cast a heal. I was hit with Bleed, and ended up dying in the limbs. When a friend with rez came by to help out party, I was too far away to get resurected. Had to recall anyway. Looked funny all sprawled out in the tree.. almost comfy. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniade
    Doest 'flight' is considered to be a full take off, or simply hitting the fly key? Is sure wouldn't like to lose my Xp for accidentally hitting my fly key.

Also, I don't find this fair at all to dragon. Will this change apply to the 'Sprint' skill too?

How many time a biped with low HP in a group hit Sprint and run out of range while the other group member finish the group?

Flying, running. I see no difference. Both get you away from the battle quickly. The difference is that you can still heal yourself or do action while sprinting. Nice dragon nerf, again.
    this change is to fix afk dragons that hover over the battle scene and gain free xp with out lifting a claw to help out. at least the biped that is about to die was fighting in the battle. so Ya i say there is a big difference

Though in my opion I say any chacarater biped or dragon that is 10 mabye 15 meters above a monster/group should get no xp...I also see poeple afk in trees ect ect that stay afk while the group below kills the mobs

Realm of Order [Elsewhere: Los Angeles or Wesley Chapel]

What does TANSTAAFL mean?
    j'Phaelluin:Mage/Monk/Scholar/Cleric,Druid,Scout,Warrior/Blacksmith/OutfitterTiaeruih:Scout/Cleric,Mage,Warrior/Outfitter/Scholar,BlacksmithMhoss:7DragonAdventure/3Crafter

I think it is EXTREMELY STUPID AND DUMB AND ASININE.

If a Dragon kills while flying, they should get credit. A kill is a kill. It's apart of combat. If you can't fly - tough. I can't, but when I do I want to experience for killing while airborne.

This change is just stupid. Flying, walking, running -- a kill is a freaking kill. You kill it, you get expereince for it.

They better change it back.[:@]
    j'Phaelluin:Mage/Monk/Scholar/Cleric,Druid,Scout,Warrior/Blacksmith/OutfitterTiaeruih:Scout/Cleric,Mage,Warrior/Outfitter/Scholar,BlacksmithMhoss:7DragonAdventure/3Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia
    this change is to fix afk dragons that hover over the battle scene and gain free xp with out lifting a claw to help out. at least the biped that is about to die was fighting in the battle. so Ya i say there is a big difference
    1. Then have the code opitmize to flag AFK players, and deny points to players who are flagged AFK (AFK flag can be set if player is idle for set minutes, like in other games). 2. Or ONLY deny experience if the player does no damage to an enemy during that combat rounf with that given enemy, or takes part in battle at all.

There are ways to fix this without penalizing Dragon for thier innate ability. Combat while fying makes sense. If AFK, then deny points to all AFK players not just flying dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia

Though in my opion I say any chacarater biped or dragon that is 10 mabye 15 meters above a monster/group should get no xp...I also see poeple afk in trees ect ect that stay afk while the group below kills the mobs
    What about player that stay 40 meters (limit is 50) away from the group, sitting and not lifting a finger while the group kills the mobs? At this range, they won't get agro unless the group run at them. I don't see any difference in this compare to flying. Flying dragon can still get hit by archer and mage.

The issues shouldn't be about dragon flying. The issues should be about any player not doing ANYTHING at all, dragon AND biped, and getting powerleveled by the groups.

This is why I consider this a nerf to dragon. Only dragon get the 'powerleveling' fix, while the standing still biped get a free pass.

@ j-Xiti:

I suppose you don't play a dragon.

Otherwise you would know that dragons can't do anything but fly while flying.

No casting spells.
    No healing.
    No attacking.
    No equipping of anything.

-------------

One thing I would like to know though.
    Assume I attacked a monster and hit it with a DoT. Then take off and let the DoT kill the monster. Will I get the exp for that?
    If not, then that *has* to be looked into.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikodemus
    @ j-Xiti:

I suppose you don't play a dragon.

Otherwise you would know that dragons can't do anything but fly while flying.

No casting spells.
    No healing.
    No attacking.
    No equipping of anything.

-------------

One thing I would like to know though.
    Assume I attacked a monster and hit it with a DoT. Then take off and let the DoT kill the monster. Will I get the exp for that?
    If not, then that *has* to be looked into.
    I do play a Dragon (Mhoss, see my signature), but I'm still a hatchling.
    From what I understood they could attack prior to the recent patch. But, it still doesn't hange my position. Dragons should be able to attack while flying AND get experience for it.. It just doesn't make sense to me.

But this issue seems to be about Dragons (whose User is AFK) getting points for battles while grouped. If that is the case, then again, my position is the same: just alter the code as to not give battle points for AFK players while grouped.

Quote Originally Posted by j-Xiti

I do play a Dragon (Mhoss, see my signature), but I'm still a hatchling.
    From what I understood they could attack prior to the recent patch. But, it still doesn't hange my position. Dragons should be able to attack while flying AND get experience for it.. It just doesn't make sense to me.

But this issue seems to be about Dragons (whose User is AFK) getting points for battles while grouped. If that is the case, then again, my position is the same: just alter the code as to not give battle points for AFK players while grouped.
    Nope. Once a dragon take flight, they're sitting duck waiting to be shooted down if they get aggroed by an AAA (aka long range ennemy). And that's the problem. Biped getting beated, hit sprint get out of ennemies way but still in range while the group get Xp, but a dragon getting a beating and taking flight to get out of ennemies way (therefor unable to heal or counter, which the sprinter can) get penalized. And that isn't only about AFKer.

Personally, I'll rather have a penality imposed to those who don't do any *action* (not damage since healer don't damage ennemies) during a group fight get penalized. NOT dragon taking of. And since we're sitting duck when flying, a dragon would get zero action when he's flying over a group, if that's the issue. And it would also affect biped doing the same abuse..

I'm not going to be overly opinionated and I'm not going to be upset either way, butI do think it makes more sense to have an AFK penalty rather than a flight penalty...as long as it can be worked out fairly. It's a delicate balance. And flying in combat also seems to make sense, realistically, for a Dragon; who doesn't want to see their big Dragon groupmate come roaring in for a massive strafing flame run against a pack of attacking undead? [;)] Sure, melee ground-based enemies are toast, but a Dragonwould bea big target for archers and mages and such. (Maybe just increase mobs' aerial targeting range a bit, to make things more even that way?) And since a Dragon in flight has no sprint...

And it seems justa bit inefficient to put in all this "No Attacking While Flying" and "No Exp While Flying." Won't they just have to take it all out and re-code everything if/when they finally add flying enemies? [^o)]

Just my little two coppers. [:)] Happy hunting, y'all!

~Talitha

Quote Originally Posted by j-Xiti
    What does TANSTAAFL mean?
    There Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Lunch. Source: Larry Niven's Known Space stories. Also see TANJ, There Ain't No Justice, used as a curse word in said stories.

Sorry to have raised rancor with my question, folks, I was just looking for a clarification of the change.

-Levity

Thread Information