Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Understanding why players STAY.

Default Re: Understanding why players STAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Theolaerynn
    I think you misread, Aamer. Bulgrim was using an old addage, similar to the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) version that was tossed about quite a bit. I do not believe that was directed at you, but rather at AE. I also do not believe it was meant to be disrespectful, but that isn't for me to say, it is simply how I interpret it.

I tend to agree to some extent, but I do not think it is that simple. I think a great deal of resources should be put towards making the client perform better, or perhaps reworking one altogether, but if that is the major thrust then I think that the time involved would prove a bigger killer to Horizons than if they multi-task a bit.

We need a few simple, quick fixes here and there to keep momentum going, otherwise folks are going to get the idea that nothing is hapening. Perception is everything at this delicate stage.

One easy fix that I would like to see that I believe would improve the community feeling would be to reverse the agro 'fix' that was implemented. Powerleveling is much less harmful than the impact on the community by making grouping more restrictive. I am sure there is some sweet spot where the agro may prevent heavy PLing, but still allow good casual grouping across a very wide level range.

For instance, I just took my guild out for a stroll this weekend, doing the Guild Hunt thing. Improves Guild Morale and tightens up at least part of the game community in that happy players tend to cause a bit of a ripple effect. Anyway, we are out hunting on the Island of Ice. Level ranges are from 11 to 100+. We are not doing anything crazy, just pulling golems and beetles one and two at a time. The odd fight may pull in an extra, but I don't think we ever had more than 4 critters. Anyway, even when we had one critter it always went after the younglings first, ignoring the four 80+ characters stunning, debuffing, lifetapping, and generally bashing on it. In our case we are fortunate enough that these players didn't mind, and was just enjoying the romp with the guild. Not everyone is that cool about it.

Keep in mind, the younglings were not engaging in any way until the critters were 3/4 health or less, nor were they healing or buffing the group until then. After their rezes they joined in pretty good though. Usually they went sideways before they had a chance to engage anyway. The lowest level character tried to see if they would be ok if they stayed away from the group during the pull, but the critter went after them pretty much no matter what, ignoring the group until this one member was dead.

And as for powerleveling during the guild hunt, we hunted for 2 1/2 hours and our low-20's character got 3/4 of a level. She can easily get more than that solo. So, bring back the ability to do Guild Hunts without the younglings being sacrificial lambs. Guild Hunts help the game, where avalanches of death points do not.
    [Y] I agree
    redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes!

Aamer, I don't think you are stupid. That was my remark in regards to what people who are playing and have played want. Horizons has a great community, it has a great group of players that really care about their friends in the game and the population as a whole.

"It's the Client, stupid" is refering to the political line: "It's the economy, stupid." You haven't heard that? It's the quote used when politicians start talking about or offer solutions to things that society, as a whole, could care less about. The economy is usually the biggest concern for voters. It's aboutputting food on the table, how well you get payed doing your job or if you might get laid off.

So, I modified that line in politics to fit into the conversation of the moment. We can talk about strengthing the community. We can try to do things that add more interaction between the playerswithin each shard. But, really, what would be the best thing to help the community? What would be the best thing to make our game, for those that still play, safe from going "bye bye"? It's client performance -number one issue against Horizons. I say, "Tulga needs tofix the client and improve its performance to match other games on the market, that will bring about a large, thriving community."

It wasn't an attack against you, Aamer. I certainly don't think you are stupid. I don't think Tulga is either, they just need to be reminded what the gaming community (ie those NOT playing/paying) want. Fixing the client will bring about other things and the fleshing out of the game. As it stands, there's plenty to do in Horizons and some pretty cool features. It's the fact that the game seems to turn off WAY too many people because of performance issues - not it's community.

Bulgrim
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

[Y]
    redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes!

Oh, and a quick remark concerning the part of Bulgrims post that I agree with:

My wifes computer hard locks on average once an hour or so, since that infamous patch a couple of months back. There have been a number of occasions where it frustrated her so bad she had to walk away from the machine, because she could not do the simple thing she had logged on to do as a form of relaxation from the real world. When your form of relaxation is more stressful than that which you seek to escape, it is time to find a new form of relaxation.

Hopefuly these issues will be resolved or Zideon and crew will have a solution to the ticket we put in concerning the matter, before my wife has to just walk away from Horizons altogether.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Ummmm its strange when someone asks why people left in a thread that the focus stays as such. But when asked why the stay we lead back to why they left.

I think the point is community is a big reason we stay and thats that.

We all know there are issues to be delt with, Geez if you didn't your obviously not reading the same forums I read.

Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    I think the point is community is a big reason we stay and thats that.
    I think that is a gross over-simplification. Community may be the common point, but if that were the only key factor then I would be on one of the many free community products such as IRC.

If you latch on to just one thing as 'The Thing Dejur" you are going to end up changing the problem, not fixing it. Trying to fix the problem or even slow the downward spiral is definitely a balancing act, and if you ignore any one piece at the peril of the project.

In other words, focus too much on any one thing and you can accelerate the problem.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Community is the counter point, Theolaerynn.

I think of it more like, "The pinch they give you before that shot in the arm." It makes somethings bareable, it makes somethings not seem so bad.

Community is what keeps me here, that and the fact that I STILL have not played a dragon. I'm saving that for when I finally tire of my biped [:P].

Bulgrim
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

I like the game, I love it, I'm addicted. There is still so much to do and with having a life and a job outside Istaria, it will take me ages to do everything I want. Playing since april 2004 and still my highest adv. lvl is only 48.
    Love the fact you can play alone if you want to. Love the no pvp, love to craft etc etc.
    She heard Nanny say: 'Beats me why they're always putting invisible runes on their doors. I mean, you pays some wizard to put invisible runes on your door, and how do you know you've got value for money?'
    She heard Granny say: 'No problem there. If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.'

Shadowon DraGhost

This was my first MMORPG and it is hard to let go

Also - Hope! That it can be what we all want it to be

That being said - I very seldom play anymore but still have my account.

I am currently playing WoW

This one is easy for me.

1. My dragon.
    2. Having a plot and being able to build stuff on it.
    3. The community.

I can't wait for dragon lairs. [:D]

Drulgar - Adult Helian Dragon - 92 Adventurer - 96 Crafter - 14 Lairshaper - 5 million hoard
    Graldur - Dwarf - 70 Spiritist - 46 Healer - 30 Mage - 100 Carpenter - 100 Fletcher - 72 Gatherer

I love building plots and seeing structures pop. I like the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day. I love playing and hanging out with friends and chatting up a storm. I like the ability to be any class, adventure of craft, I want.

"why do I stay?".... I haven't hit 100 in any and all adventure and crafting classes yet and haven't built my 75x75 plot of my dreams yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn
    I really hope TG isn't counting on the community to hold it afloat. While it is the best in the MMO world it can only carry you so far. If people keep leaving for techinical and gameplay related issue how much of that community is going to be left? Need people for a community.

I agree with your opinion :)

community is more important to horizons with a sub 10K playerbase than it is to WoW which has 3.5 million. Guess what... both communities are about the same as far as quality. Yup I said it. Why ? pure basic math you do the numbers. In a game like HZ is old and has been around the block and has a terrible reputation to recover from. Subsequently logic ultimately dictates that those that are lefty playing are going to be of the more mature crowd and your chances of running into an MMO Kiddie ( yes this is the proper term not Bnet kiddie or anything else) are slim. Still though you still run into them even in this game. However once again a small community comes into play in that they can more effectively police these people. For I promise you no garantee you should HZ's fairy god mother come a flittering down and grant's Bowman's wish of 50K plus players, you will automatically over night not be able to distinguish it from the community in other games.

So yes now a definite factor is community for people. But its not enough simple as that.

So then how about making a thread that states what will it take to get people back and attract a more profitable playerbase ? But I think that is covered under why people left but I think my title would have been more " positive" don't you think ? ;) .

Thread Information