Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Shard Charter

Default Re: Order Assembly Charter

Oh where to begin... where to begin...

I am grateful for the efforts that Yuusake and others have made on this charter. I appreciate the time and thought that has gone into it. I had hoped to be able to take a more active role in its shaping and only step from my position once it was fully ready. But there was no way possible that my nerves could handle another meeting, let alone the whole process of coming up with a charter.

I'm afraid there is no delicate way to say what I need to...

This is not at all what I intended.

I wanted a simple charter that outlined the basic responsibilities of each team lead, what each team did, and I wanted my job defined. What I'm seeing is a whole new community movement basically, which is fine, but I don't understand why so many processes and positions must be changed.

Somehow my job and Frith-Rae's got jumbled together, and small parts of my job disappeared and others were basically just handed out to the masses.

I don't understand why we have to redefine the whole voting process, which was worked out by myself, Frith-Rae, and even Pharcellus in an indirect sort of way.

I don't understand why we need a whole new wheel.

Don't get me wrong. I support what's happening, especially if it's what the community wants. I guess it's just part of my warped PTSD perception or something, but what I'm seeing isn't a continuity of what we were doing, it's a whole new structure.

Oh, and I agree with Leannae. The people that want to be involved should be the ones that are given the right to vote. Sometimes that doesn't mean the guild master. I'm the only one from Refiner's who regularly attends the meetings and I don't pretend to vote for the rest. The one other time we had someone there, he wanted to just vote with me, so I abstained from all votes.

In my personal opinion, the voting scheme proposed in the Charter draft is the way to go. One voice counted for each ((account)), which is about as close to one vote per "person" as we can get, honor system. More,keeping that quorum count as high as we can (40+?) should insure that a wide enough segment of the community cares enough to participate in Assembly votes that the resolution might have some popular weight.

If anyone wishes to make a strong case for guild-based voting, please do it here and soon. Otherwise, I will let that concept go by the wayside and stay with the scheme I personally favor.

Footnote to the post of Tokoz above:

Perhaps the worries you have are greater than the effect that is to come. If I "got it right" in the drafting: World Projects and New Player Assistance will function exactly the same under the Charter as the do now; the Secretary will do the job of administration on Forums and then feed the setup to each incoming Moderator; the rotating Moderator then runs his/her/its one meeting by simple agenda, calls for action of any Agenda Items, gets it all voiced and if need be voted on, then closes up, hands off to the next Moderator on the list, and goes to post the meeting logs.

...nothing fancy in practice, just darn hard to write well as a limiting Charter. My thanks for all the help so far.

I am called Yuusuke...

Akiyama Yuusuke yonsei
    The Annatar, on Order

I agree - what I'm seeing here is noone really "gung hu" in favor of "guild" voting casts.

My suport would be for the "way we do it now". One voice - one vote- everyone on their own. The only difference from the Charter being that multiple accounts have multiple voices. I have no strong feelings for or against that part.

I just have strong feelings as I always have that everyone gets their voice, and that votes are counted at forums and at meetings.

Which brings me to my next question - if the moderator is ever revolving - is it the secretary's job to notify the NEXT Moderator of the vote count and when to ccall a vote.

Let me see if I can make this make sense:

Right now for example Tokoz puts somethign up for discussion. I take it from the logs, post a discussion here. He takes it back to next meeting, further discussion and then a vote is called.

I take it HERE first for a vote for that two week period, then sum up the votes, pass the number to Tokoz. THEN HE calls a vote at the meeting, - so far no close calls - and has announced teh results at the meeting, knowing the fourm vote.

I then read the logs posted and put up an "official count".

Here is my concern:

My concern would be that a moderator signed up isn't aware of this process - calls a vote on something important at a meeting and then says its decided.

Rather than knowing they are suppose to table a serious discussion when one arises, for possibly two meetings before calling an official vote.

Perhaps we can put that process out in the charter somewhere - where it states specifically that forum votes are included and discussion goes to forum and meeting BOTH first before a vote is called on big community stuff.

Because what I fear happening is that the forums get left out in a vote call - simply because a moderator isn't active here. And that could really raise some stink this whole fledging process doesn't need :).

Now while I'm in agreement with Tokoz - this seems to have gotten far too complicated with all the thees and thous and fancy Language even I can barely understand - it can of course continue to be tweaked and changed until we come up with a system that everyone who is active int his effort is OK with.

My only concern, is and ever has been, that forums be included. I know I beat Tokoz over the head with it to get it implemented and he left me "in charge" of doing that. I don't give a flying crap who is moderating - I only care that they know what they are doing, and know the process :).

watching this charter degrade even further into a complicated mess that it has, i will most defenitely vote it down.

Start simple build on it, and keep it simple and you will get a yes vote from me.

and as the voteing stands, ill line up all my accounts to vote against it, it is set for shard meeting burnout, and i wont endorse it.

Aye, I am with Archebold on this.

I have come up with some complicated organizational documents in my time, but this thing is turning into an Army Specification Manual on the Art of Boiling Water.

Take a chainsaw and pare that sucker down to what we really need, and add to it by necessity.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

It was implied then later on specified that this would be a charter for the Assembly of the members of Order that choose to take part in the Shard meetings.

For all practicle purposes only needs to state how; the meeting formats are to be laid out to keep a uniformity and consistancy if you will, of the process.

adding in guidlines for each of the teams should'nt even be in this charter. how we elect/appoint team leaders should be.

specify how one should conduct themselves within the timeframe of the meetings and lay out the parameters for the voteing process, and the processes for adding/removeing team leaders and cut out all the extra fat.

If you want to lay out seperateguidlines for the conduct of team leaders so be it. but it does'nt belong in the assembly charter. guidlines for such leads should be posted and stickied to the shard forums for all to make reference to, thus eliminating any confusion as to the purpose and direction the team represents.but only after they are accepted by the voteing process within the meetings.

I agree with Archebold and Pharcellus.

Article I: Leadership
    1. How selected.
    2. How removed.
    3. How new offices are added.
    4. Leadership postions:
    a: Moderator, defined.
    b. Secretary, defined
    c. World Project Team Lead, defined.
    d. Greater New Player Assistance Team Lead, defined.
    e. Events Team Lead, defined
    f. Forums Team Lead, defined.

Article II: Rules of Meeting Conduct
    1. Only one person has the floor... blah blah blah blah....
    2. More blah
    3. Even more blah
    4. Enough blah to be deadly.

Article III: Tallying of Votes
    1. What constitutes a vote.
    2. How votes are counted.

Article IV: Empowerment.
    All abilities and powers retained by the community and not mentioned in this document refer back to the rights of the community. In other words, if it isn't said in here and it needs to be done, then the community retains the right to decide who, how, when, where, what, and why something is going to be done.

The people who tallied votes, should be writing the section on how votes are counted. The person who held the postition, should be the one to go to in order to define the position, as all these things "evolved" slowly over time. What all does C`gan do as World Projects Team Lead???? I have no blinking idea, except what he's posted. How DOES Frith decide what issues are to be voted on through the boards, and what time frame she has in order to call for a vote???? I don't know. I just see her posts and go, "Wow, good job!" and then take her tally when she's done.

Article I: Leadership
    1. Players are placed in leadership by the common consent of the community, as voted on by the requirements set forth in this document.
    2. Players in leadership positions can be removed if a player submits the request to the secretary, who will then place the said request on the agenda. The motion will then voted on by the common consent of the community in accordance with the requirements laid out later in this document.
    3. New Leadship postions can be added or vacancies filled be requesting the secreatary to place the item on the agenda and then going through proper voting procedures.
    4. Leadership Postions.
    a. Moderator changes with each individual meeting. Volunteers are taken and approved by those present, without consent of a forum vote, as would be normal. The moderator leads the community meetings by use of the rules later outlined and in accordance with the meeting agenda.
    b. Secretary hears the opinions and requests of the community. One request is sufficient for an item to be added to the agenda. The secretary does not have the right to disregard any requests made regarding the agenda without community approval.
    c. World Projects Team Lead: have at it C`gan. :)
    d. Greater New Player Assistance Team Lead: Let our dynamic duo tell the whole blinking shard what they do.
    e. Events Team. Let Allon or Xerses or whoever feels they served enough time on the team handle that.
    f. Forums Team Lead. I KNOW Frith has a lot to say about it.

Article II: Meeting Protocol.
    I'm not writing all this out. Look at all the garbage I say at the beginning of most meetings. It mostly comes down to be nice to other people, stay on topic, and raise your hand like you learned way back in kindergarten.

Article III: Tallying of votes:
    1. Votes are tallyed based strongly on the honor system.
    2. One vote is granted per account.
    3. A player may either cast a vote by posting in a thread provided by the Forums team and tallyed by the Forums team lead, or cast a vote by attending the meeting and making their voice heared.
    4. A vote, if not witnessed by the general community either through the public forums, or through the community channel while the meeting is in progress, will NOT be accepted.
    5. Unless previously decided upon by community action, a simple majority is sufficient to pass the agenda item.

Article IV: Empowerment.
    All abilities and powers retained by the community and not mentioned in this document refer back to the rights of the community. In other words, if it isn't said in here and it needs to be done, then the community retains the right to decide who, how, when, where, what, and why something is going to be done.

This is what has formed over time. This is what I'm doing my best to see continued. My apologies and again my thanks to those that have endeavored so hard on this project. I do not feel that your work is in vain. I just feel like you made a MOS out of one simple detail... (for the translation from milspeak back to English, please see Pharcellus' post.)

Bravo! more voices heard on this, excellent.

I am content with the "sledgehammer" I wasa part of writing, and as it has not appreciably changed in the last 2 weeks, I will leave it standing as it is as a comparison tool.

I look forward to seeing other efforts to Charter the Assembly, and would be happy to comment on any part of them that I can help with.

You all have my best wishes that something that would bear the examination of the "community" can be written, and adopted.

<smiles, bows, and then stands aside as others progress>
    I am called Yuusuke...

Akiyama Yuusuke yonsei
    The Annatar, on Order

Quote Originally Posted by Tokoz
    f. Forums Team Lead. I KNOW Frith has a lot to say about it.
    *chuckles*

ok first off:
    Events Team:

Xerses is MIA (did ya read my thread you goof?!) indefinitely, Draxxis will shortly be out of game, but still subbing until he gets a new computer, indefinitely. Allon and I are joined at the hip as far as in game stuff goes so I might can help with this summary here ;).

Events Team:
    Events Team Leaders/Coleaders and members are responsible for thinking up, organizing, planning, and implementing "Events" that can involve the whole shard. The nature of these events can include but are not limited to: RP events, fighting events, festivals, trade days, etc. Event Team Members and Leaders do not oversee private guild functions, or any other function that a particular guild is putting on for the shard themselves - unless directly asked to assist or 'spread the word'.

That's really it. There aren't any rules or anything about what we tried to do. Just people with ideas trying to figure out how to get things implemented and rolling. Not sure what else to add to that part :).

Forum Team - "Liasion":
    1-this "team" can consist of just one player, if that player can fulfill all duties appropriately as judged by the rest of the community and themselves (if they want help they can ask for it, if not, then its not required to be a multiplayer team).

2-is responsible for reviewing all community meeting logs within a practical amount of time after each community meeting (a day or two) and starting discussion posts on the forums based on the Discussionpoints brought up at each Community meeting. Forum Liasionis not required to be at every Community Meeting, but is required to review all logs.
    2a-is responsible for attemping to try and keep said Discussion posts on track and on topic, and on the first page of the Order Forum, until discussion is 'over'.
    2b-Discussions are'over' when a vote is called on the issue
    2c-Discussions normally go from the Date of First Post on the issue, through the next meeting time - where the discussion is then taken to that Meeting. At that time the Moderator, if they feel discussion has tired out on the forums and at the meeting, can call a vote. Or the Moderatorcan table the discussion until the next meeting if it is still an active and evolving issue.

3-is responsible for the Forum Vote threads
    3a- when moderator calls up an issue to be voted upon (usually when discussion has died out), it is announced at the Community meeting, it is then the Forum Liasion's job to start up a Voting Thread on the Order Forum within a reasonable amount of time after the logs are posted
    3b-Will make first post describing Issue being voted on and the time limit to take the votes; will repeat the procedure to vote and the rules around voting
    3c-Voting Time Limit - Voting starts with the Voting thread start date and ends the morning of the day of the next Community Meeting. It is the Forum Liasions job to make a post announcing the close of the voting thread. But if the post gets missed, voting officially ends when the Community Meeting Starts - post or not.
    3d-It is the Liasion's duty to make sure Voting Threads are Vote ONLY, and not discussion. Comments are allowed, but Liasion should attempt to keep people to stick to just voting, and remind them of the Discussion thread that was posted previously about said issue if they wish to have continued discussion.
    3e-When Voting thread is officially closed, Liasion will make a post tallying up the FORUM votes, and display those so that noone's vote is miscounted.
    3f-Liasion is to attempt, if time allows, to PM or otherwise get in touch with Secretary (If setup as listed below - otherwise I guess the current meeting's moderator),to let them know the count of the Forum Vote. This allows a decision to be known at the community meeting, shouldit be evident that it was an overwhelming majority.
    3g-After Community Meeting Vote (once voting thread is closed), the Votes are displayed in the log posted to the forums. Liasion takes the official count from these logs, adding it to the official forum posted count, cross checks for anyone who doubled voted, and then goes to the Voting Thread and posts and official "final" total count of Meeting + Forum Voting results. This is the 'official' final decision.

Things not listed yet:
    Moderator's Duty to make sure the Vote is taken at thenext meeting (after a vote is called) and yeas/nays are included when posting the logs to the Forum. Perhaps this should be a secretary's duty - since they may be keeping closer track of what's going on with the Liasion in the forum (see below)

Perhaps something that says its the Moderators (Or Secretary's job?? not sure)) to take volunteers of who can post entire logs to the Forum upon conclusion at the meeting. Unless we're making a position for Secretary seperate from Forum Liasion. In which case I see Secretary doing something like this:

Secretary:
    1 - Is required to be at all community meetings or to asure someone will be in their stead to take over their duties
    2-is in charge of Announcing the Next Meeting Date and Times (Alternating Wednesday's at 8 est, or Thursday's at 9est - bimonthly). In game and on the forums.
    3- is in charge of posting, several days before meeting, the next meeting's Agenda and request any additions to topics to be disccused; also to make sure this format is followed at subsequent meeting
    4- is responsible for making sure the full logs (complete with votes recorded) are posted to the COmmunity forums within a reasonable amount of time (24-48 hours). By them or by their standin at the meeting.
    5- is responsible for noting, in the channel (so that appears in the logs) all items brought up for new or further discussion, and to direct people to the forums for these items to be discussed. One request is sufficient for an item to be added to the agenda. The secretary does not have the right to disregard any requests made regarding the agenda without community approval.
    6-It will be essential that the Secretary and Forum LIasion have a working relationship as they will be in regular communication with each other, through game or PMs, in order to coordinate Forum Discussion and Forum Voting.

That kinda clarifies the difference bewteen the Moderator and the Secretary - with neither one taking on the full duties. Esp. since an ever changing Moderator may have problems knowing and keeping up with some of those "consistent" duties. Feel free of course Tokoz or anyone, to add to this or switch soem of this to the "moderator" jobs or visa versa.

Also that allows teh Forum LIasion and Secretary to be set jobs (hence I added number six for that) - and both dependent on knowing and informing each other of topics of discussion, vote counts, etc, so the ever-changing moderator isn't dependent on checking PMs here or something like that. Much like part of what Tokoz and I did on a regular basis.

If you want to put the "set time line for discussion/voting" in another section let me know. I was trying to figure out the easiest way to explain it, because it is really easy, even if its hard to explain. I included some of it written out above, but it might need its own section. I have no idea. Its a logical and to me, common sense system, but sometimes those are the hardest to explain :).

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae
    <truncated for brevity>

Which brings me to my next question - if the moderator is ever revolving - is it the secretary's job to notify the NEXT Moderator of the vote count and when to ccall a vote.

<example snipped>

Here is my concern:

My concern would be that a moderator signed up isn't aware of this process - calls a vote on something important at a meeting and then says its decided.

Rather than knowing they are suppose to table a serious discussion when one arises, for possibly two meetings before calling an official vote.

Perhaps we can put that process out in the charter somewhere - where it states specifically that forum votes are included and discussion goes to forum and meeting BOTH first before a vote is called on big community stuff.

Because what I fear happening is that the forums get left out in a vote call - simply because a moderator isn't active here. And that could really raise some stink this whole fledging process doesn't need [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img].

<again snipped for the key point>

...- I only care that they know what they are doing, and know the process [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img].
    Just cleaning up my notes on all the previous work, Frith-Rae, and I noticed you never got an answer on this. My regrets. In the "A" Draft Chater (the one I was working), your mechanism for Posting an Agenda Item, its duration, and the mechanism for collecting the vote are all in Article 1 parts b1) and b2). Also, it now clearly states the Secretary's job does not require attendance at the meeting itself.

And yes, absolutely, positively, whichever and whatever system is eventually adopted, we all need to make sure the Secretary and the Moderator are on the same page every time.

FYI ALL: I am posting a non-discussion, clean version of the "A" Draft for your review, use, and consideration as other efforts progress. It is a locked thread, but it will direct all further discussion back to this Thread.

again, my thanks, and best wishes for our collective success.
    I am called Yuusuke...

Akiyama Yuusuke yonsei
    The Annatar, on Order

ok the only thing I notice right now about the "A" Version..

is there is no policy/accounting/direction on who is in charge of the DIscussions to be had on the forum - the "official" discusion threads. I see Voting, but I didn't see the ones for the Discussions, which are held before the votings :).

Though I myself wonder how the secretary and "mod of the week" are going to successfully keep in touch, assuming the "mod of the week" even knows what the Hell the secretary is talking about :).

Thread Information