Thread: Looking For Something New

Aeron

Default Looking For Something New

I've been playing Eve Online now for a long time and intend to continue playing but I miss the fantasy side from when I used to engross myself in a MUD at university. I know WoW is not going to "do it" for me and I have recently tried Final Fantasy XI which (while good) I find it lacking something.

I remembered hearing of Horizons during the development stages and the fact that playing as a dragon race would be implemented. Now I don't intend to play as a dragon (unless it is as an alt) but I thought it would be fun just to have PC dragons rather than NPC ones that always aggro on you.

However my one sticking point is that the servers are seperated by location, well and the fact from what I can see Unity (Euro server?) is rather quiet. Is there anyone from Unity that would care to comment? Or is one of the other servers recommended?

Also I would likely be interested in guild/community play but have scars from my first Eve corp I was in where it was all work and no fun (my current corp we work together when we want/need to but if someone doesn't want to join in that day for whatever reason we don't force them).

Thanks for your time and advice,
    G

Default Re: Looking For Something New

Well, any shard is good, they all have good people on them, but currently Chaos has the largest population. If that is what you are looking for then I would recommend heading there. If you are in a European country there is a possibility you can join the NA shards, just head to the NA login site and test it out. If you don't get forwarded to the EU shard login after selecting your region then its a go.

It's the same in this game as in other. There are some real guilds who "require" things from their members and there are some more lax guilds who let their guildies do what they like and guildchat is just a chatroom. You'll find all varying levels of guilds in HZ just as you will in other games, it is just searching them out and getting feels for those guilds before joining them to determine if that guild is what you are looking for.

Hope to see you in Istaria enjoying yourself!

It's a great game and if you find yourself wandering around aimlessly on chaos feel free to join the new player assistance channel. Where you'll find the skippers of ropes, finders of shinies and inbetween all that we also enjoy answering questions.
    60% Achiever
    46% Socializer
    46% Explorer
    46% Killer
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Nimk a Beer)

Aeron

Thanks both of you, I'll give getting on to Chaos a try when I finally manage to get the installation/patch process to work. I started downloading at 6pm last night and even after several attempts the patcher is falling over (more than 12 hours later [:O] )

I don't object to guilds "requiring" things from their members, I object to guilds (corps, w.h.y.) who effectively use new players as slaves to get the highest 4 or 5 people in the guild/corp the latest "big toy" and not helping the "lower ranks" (even those a couple of steps down) with anything (frigate or ammo in the case of Eve or basic eq here I guess).

Well I have the full 1GB package on download and the patch pack from here already on my HDD so hopefully I'll be on after lunch BST (GMT+1).

However my one sticking point is that the servers are seperated by location, well and the fact from what I can see Unity (Euro server?) is rather quiet. Is there anyone from Unity that would care to comment? Or is one of the other servers recommended?
    There you go... :D What's quiet about unity and in what way did you see that while you're not logged on? ^_^ Someone typing on the forum tells us he is not in the game ;)

From: [link]http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/MMORPG[/url] Development cycle
    1. Follow a new MMORPG as soon as you hear about it
    2. Play the open beta
    3. Buy the retail version
    4. Go to five different information sites that also have discussion forums on that game. Spent all your time on these forums.
    5. Install the game and get to level 5. Then spend the rest of your life on the forums.
    6. Go see an awesome movie, read an awesome book, or play an awesome single player game, and complain how the game is nothing like either of those.
    7. Follow the developers lives in detail, going so far as to take pictures of their family through their window by perching yourself on a tree nearby. Sue them when they refuse to listen to your innovative ideas.
    8. Discuss this on the boards.
    9. Get tired of the game and threaten to quit, then lookup a third party program that will make your life easier.
    10. Complain on the boards some more.
    11. Quit.
    12. Discuss this on the boards.
    13. See step #1.

If you're planning to actually play, and not do the above, you're welcome on Unity as welcome as you're on the US's serversI think. (but the performance in Euro server(Unity) will be better)
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Aeron

Royal,
    I can't say I do any of the above as the only reason I gave up on my first MMORPG was because I was invited to the closed beta for Eve Online and that had me hooked from the start.

My questions are only intended to draw out answers and not as a "poke" at anyone. I actually felt that the smaller community on Unity would provide a greater chance to interact with each other, which you've just proven.

Aeron, when you get in game, right click your chat window and select "Browse player chat channels". From there, select "New Player Assistance" for any questions you may have--tis the purpose of the channel and it's usually populated reasonably well. (10-20 people on average).

Best of luck, and enjoy your stay.
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvebagger
    Aeron, when you get in game, right click your chat window and select "Browse player chat channels". From there, select "New Player Assistance" for any questions you may have--tis the purpose of the channel and it's usually populated reasonably well. (10-20 people on average).

Best of luck, and enjoy your stay.
    That's only on Chaos btw. I don't know/think Unity has anything like this implimented.

Thread Information