Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Katrina a man made disaster?

Realm of Order [Elsewhere: Los Angeles or Wesley Chapel]

Default Was Katrina a man made disaster?

Interesting article. I personally believe the capability is true. My comment is not meant to ignore the loss of life, but to raise the question as to why.

j'Phaelluin:Mage/Monk/Scholar/Cleric,Druid,Scout,Warrior/Blacksmith/OutfitterTiaeruih:Scout/Cleric,Mage,Warrior/Outfitter/Scholar,BlacksmithMhoss:7DragonAdventure/3Crafter

Default Re: Was Katrina a man made disaster?

Well, there are a couple glaring things I see wrong with this one anyways. The first is that if the Govt was so hellbent on redesigning New Orleans, they would have made sure Katrina stayed Cat 5. I watched this storm develop for well over a week (that is my job) and there was nothing unnatural about it. Lets also think about just how much stuff is in that water. It will take months to get the water our of the city, get things working again, and make it plain inhabitable.
    The other problem I see with this is the gov't would have known just what kind of damage it could cause to the economy, and how much it could hurt. It did briefly over the oil alone, it will again once the earnings reports for all the stores that got shut down (or obliterated) come out. I dont buy it. And since there is only one group of people mentioned as this reallyharming, I think it is just someone just making something up (pulling it out of their ***) to try and make their point.
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I find that article LAUGHABLE. Trying to CAUSE earthquakes. Heh heh heh heh heh! Earthquakes are a simple result of cause and effect on such a large scale that even IF humankind were to get involved, their ability to affect the plates would be at best infinitessimal. I mean, honestly. How are you going to devise something to move several BILLION tons of rock in a specific direction? Add to that complication the sheer number of GALLONS of water (must be read as sheer force-absorbing weight) on top of that in the ocean, as in the case of the December quake. Then there are the numerous plate boundaries that you would have to jostle as well so your single plate COULD move, because you can't just attach jet packs on the ocean floor and expect the whole thing to slide along like it's covering a bunch of marbles and have smooth joints all over.

The laws of physics also prove this wrong. It is said with a lever long enough you could lift the Earth. Assuming you had a lever to hold that weight and a pivot point that could withstand the weight of the Earth plus the weight of this lever. However, when dealing with moving tectonic plates, you're talking a directed force of one type or other (expansion, contraction, or shear). The force/mass scale on both sides has to match or be greater on the side of our little whatever to get it to move. Since we've NEVER built anything even close to the size of so much as the smallest of tectonic plates, our little mover is at a complete disadvantage. Prove it for yourself. Do a push up.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

I doubt the truth of the artivle. It would have made more sense to whip out a big storm with no time for them to run out, thus wiping out a million people that he claims are undesireable.

Food is food, just give us something to chew on that removes DP's

The article was the biggest load of ******** that I have read in quite awhile.

Hurricanes are natural, maybe stronger due to climate changes and the sign of the times.

However, not preparing for it, during hurricane season, is the real issue. Were there warnings and did people opt to leave (or batten down the hatches)? Preparing the state militias? Or just the federal gov't so concerned about Iraq's constitution and not the welfare of its own people (I'm sure I read that in our Constitution).

Bigger still, is the fact of parts of the city being below sea level. Certainly when the dykes or dams were destroyed the water would go somewhere not desired.

Years ago I looked into concrete dome housing. Making houses of wood just doesn't make sense in some areas - like the SE coastal area.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

there were warnings for days and days, some people are too stupid to heed them and then there others that had no choice but to stay. Its very clear that the state authorities in LA were unprepared for a storm of this magnitude. New Orleans was and remains a city that wasbuilt upon land that was 'reclaimed'from the ocean, its a fact of life there. There is enough blame for to cover the local, state AND federal authorites involved, however, this can not and should not be laid solely at the feet of the federal government. While Mayor Nagin was so shrilly castigating the feds for their response to the problems in HIS city he was busy shoving cronies and others to the front of the evac lines over that of the residents of HIS city. Way to go Ray [6] that will get you lots of votes come your next election. I personally have lived through several hurricanes including being square in the middle of two of the largest to hit the US in the past 20 years (Hugo and Andrew) I can empathize with the folks along the Gulf Coast, but there is more to what happened that just the plight of the folks in New Orleans, there are entire towns wiped out, not just devastated, wiped from existence.

When you live in a hurricane zone you can and SHOULD expect to feel the brunt of them and be prepared. I currently live in a tornado zone and have learned to be prepared, not dependent on the government for my survival.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

the closest we are to weather control is cloud seeding to induce more precipitation, and it's results are iffy at best.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    What scares me is that the person that posted that tripe plays Horizons...
    I am glad I wasnt the only one who noticed that...

:o
    *looks at the xfire portion and level information of the sig/
    126 hours and below level 20? Wow

I didn't bother reading the article; I know the hurricane was natural.

But as for some comments about the peoples unpreparedness; I can agree to a certain degree, but I also wonder how many couldn't leave because of poverty.

Oh and I dunno about solid cement houses out there either because of the ground they are on is very soft, almost like being set on near liquifaction land. The houses would be too heavy and sink (they currently have had that issue, hence the levees and pumping).
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

*shakes his head sadly*

I think New Orleans and our neighbors to the south (Canuck here) have enough trouble at the moment without some ignorant soul spreading that kind of manure about. Simple high school science has more truth behind it then anything in that article.

The only things (from the outside looking in) that I can find fault with is the fact that it was forcast years ago what would happen to New Orleans if it got hit by a major storm of this magnitude. The Dutch have developed hydraulic dykes that can be raised in such eventualities and technology like that should have been in place rather then playing Russian roulette.

Secondly, there should have been more options for those that did not have a way out prior to the storm to get out if they so chose.

Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

Kumu check your PMs.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Reminds me of a book my car pool just finished a little while ago

"State of fear" Micheal Crichton

Jayne

I think that guy mixed the dates, not 1th of september man ... 1th of april! *shakes head*
    Had a good laugh on that one. I wonder what kind of drug he takes if it wasn't for a joke. Weather satellites that MAKE weather. That is a new one. :D

Horizons Empire

*shakes head*

Ignorance *is* bliss.
    j'Phaelluin:Mage/Monk/Scholar/Cleric,Druid,Scout,Warrior/Blacksmith/OutfitterTiaeruih:Scout/Cleric,Mage,Warrior/Outfitter/Scholar,BlacksmithMhoss:7DragonAdventure/3Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin
    [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]
    *looks at the xfire portion and level information of the sig/
    126 hours and below level 20? Wow
    I have a life outside the game. The 126 hours wasn't spent gaining levels or powerleveling.
    It was spent socializing with my Guild and traveling around Istaria. I play Horizons because there was no forced need to gain levels like EverQuest, Star Wars Galaxies of World of WarCraft.

And why are all of YOU assuming I wrote the article. Are you all just that stupid?
    I merely COMMENTED on the article...duh! That is what I wrote -- COMMENT.

The article is total B.S yo. But when you think about it, it was a "man made disaster", Its actually more of "Mans mistake disaster", I the loss of life is alot higher than it should have been... I actually heard that someone said that they thought it was safer in her house... and blame the government about not recieving help, I hate the news media it is getting, I support the government its the American people I have lost faith in, I'm not going to say anything to offend people but...[:@] IT WOULD NOT BE AS BAD IF THEY WOULD HAVE F'N LEFT LIKE THEY WERE TOLD TO! HOW COULD PEOPLE POSSIBLY THINK A WOODEN, A WOODEN!!!!, HOUSE STAND A CAT. 5 FREAKING HURRICANE. COME ON!! ITS AMERICA I THOUGHT THE VIETNAM GENERATION WAS THE END OF THE MORONIC AMERICANS!!! ITS THERE FAULT WE LOST THAT WAR!! NOW ITS THERE FAULT THINGS ARE THAT BAD!!! [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]... [N], anyhow if any of you would like to argue this with me feel free, like it or not I am right... they held the power to leave and make it easier for them and everyone... they stayed... like they were supposed to.

Now if anyone is missing a relative or will never be reunited with me I am terribly sorry for your lose in that aspect.... but anyways back to the main topic... yeah the article was [8-)].

oh yeah another thing... when did earthquakes effect the weather....

j-Xiti, who is it your claiming is 'ignorant'?

Please, in detail explain how these tiny weather sats have any possible chance at creating these events that you appear to claim they can. Science please, not conjecture... :)

If you didn't writethat article you linkedon pjci.net then who did?

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal
    ...IT WOULD NOT BE AS BAD IF THEY WOULD HAVE F'N LEFT LIKE THEY WERE TOLD TO! HOW COULD PEOPLE POSSIBLY THINK A WOODEN, A WOODEN!!!!, HOUSE STAND A CAT. 5 FREAKING HURRICANE...
    Some of them did not have a means to get out of town, so I can understand them being there. However, it does piss me off to no end when I see the pictures of all those school busses under water that could have been used to get people out. There are though...the idiots. The ones who stuck around even though they had vehicles that would move and everything.

Thread Information