Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PvP Arena coming to Blight

Default Re: PvP Arena coming to Blight

Hmmm.. I see a small flaw in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeglor
    Regardless, it'll be up to you to pick your fights. If you don't want to fight a Ranger, then don't. ;-)
    But...

Characters are free to join any combat that is in progress. It is up to the players to ask one another to abstain from joining a fight, though there will be no official enforcement of these requests.
    Those two statements conflict because if you can join any combat in progress, only one person can pick their fight, the other is stuck with whomever joined. It becomesmore of a player(S) vs player(S) free for all, unless I'm not understanding this properly.
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

I hope that something is instituted that once asked to a duel, and rejected, that they can't ask again. For example, I tried wow , logged in, new character, level 1 , and a level 16 asked me for a duel, I declined, but for 15 minutes , if not longer, he kept spamming a request for a duel. Its very annoying to decline just to be asked again, and again, and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    I hope that something is instituted that once asked to a duel, and rejected, that they can't ask again. For example, I tried wow , logged in, new character, level 1 , and a level 16 asked me for a duel, I declined, but for 15 minutes , if not longer, he kept spamming a request for a duel. Its very annoying to decline just to be asked again, and again, and again.
    if not, putting them on Ignore works well too.
    Got Cowbell?

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    What they need in the chat system, and not just for this instance but for others that have come up, isa spam spanker. Something that recognizes the exact same phrase and tally's it along with pause duration. If say, you repeat the same thing, exactly the same thing 5 times within 30 seconds, you are given a friendly wrist slap of a 5 minute time out. None of your chat options work for 5 minutes. No /tell no /say no /shout not even chat channels. It would certainly cut down on some of the childish antics that we've had to deal with.
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Characters are free to join any combat that is in progress. It is up to the players to ask one another to abstain from joining a fight, though there will be no official enforcement of these requests.
    OH yea, that will work well.

The only location that player fighting player can happen is in these removed locations. There will be no dueling requests outside of normal say/chat. There are no rules for these areas outside of Team A members and Team B members can fight each other. That's it. That's all we are implementing, and if you don't want to participate, or don't like the ways it is done, then don't go there and join a Team. That's it. That's all there is. There will be no support for this. There will be no further development of this (unless Smeglor chooses to continue his programming lunches). If people find a way to enjoy this, great.

We've left a ball in an empty playground, you choose the rules. And if you don't like the way people choose to play in this playground, don't go there. It isn't part of the game that benefits the participants in any way unless they find a way to make it enjoyable for themselves.

David Bowman
    David Bowman

Edited: okay nm....
    Got Cowbell?

Quote Originally Posted by Senkeleron Fell
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Smeglor wrote:

OH yea, that will work well.
    It's "use at your own risk". I don't like PvP at all, I have no plans to participate in this, and I'm very glad that no 'on-the-clock' time was used for it.

*However*

Senkeleron, this is a thing which enhances the game for some people. Dragon lairs enhance the game for others. My Demon Blood Axe enhances the game for me. I'm sure there are things that enhance the game for you, and not for me. That's great! I broadens the game's appeal, yet preserves the game for those who choose not to participate in PvP.

I can understand a concern that this might bring in - or retain - a higher number of jerks. I think that's a legitimate concern. However, I don't think hard-core PvP fans will like it or stick around because of it, and any antisocial behaviors they engage in are likely ToS violations anyway.

Rather than campaign against it, why not wait and see? Let it stand or fall on its own. Let those that wish to enjoy it partake. At the very least - the *very* least! - it silences a gripe that has persisted since beta, and it might even turn out to be good for the game as a whole. Give it a chance.

You can always say, "I told you so!" [;)]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I have only two issues with the current incarnation of it. One of them goes against PvP in general, and that is harassment. Smack-talking needs to have a tight rein put on it, as it WILL come to pass. "Come say that to my face in the arena, N00b!" and other such taunts will become more rampant.

The second is if implementation of this little project, though supposedly done "off the clock", causes other bugs which require "on the clock" time to fix. I find it rather interesting that, with the introduction of these changes, all of a sudden normal attacks are saying "blahblah cannot be used in combat.". I don't know that the issue is related to the addition of this little pet project, but I think it highly suspicious.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Goatboy

Hmmm, given the mutual respect factors and the close knit community ofthe Blight server I don't there will be any problems what so ever. In factI rather imagine that World Masters will wind up asking people to come to the arena to test new spells and abilities.Blighters don't line up around the block to gain death points for nothing, but we will gladly rack up the DP's for Illy and Smeglor, or any other Dev thatneeds us.That is after all why we play on Blight, we live to serve the mighty Devs........ Ok we really live to expand the game and play with all the neat new toys and cool spells.......[:D]

As for PvP players coming to Blight mymain concern is that we will suddenly get alot of new people and touristswho want to come play in the arena who really have no understanding of how small our community is(average 5-15 players on at any given time) and how hard it is for us to stock connies, much less create custom items. Thus I recommend if you are creating a new character be prepared to either wait in line or make alot of stuff on your own. This is not to be rude this is just reailty. I also recommend you come over when both the other servers are up if you need higher level Blighters to help you with something, that way we aren't flooded with help requests.

My other concern is that if we import more characters on who want to playin the arena,which would be cool, we are going to getmostly heavy hitters, level 80+ and even more dragons. Which really won't expand our testing base as we have mostly level 80+ main characters on Blight already.What we could really use are a bunch of 20 - 60 level biped charcters. We have tons of dragons checking out the ARoP and the new lairs, so dragons of all levels are covered. As of now we have very few resident dryads, half-giants,satyrs, or sslik. In fact Ican't think of any resident dryads .............

I honestly think that if this is handled with mutual respect and general understanding of the culture on Blight that everything will go smoothly and the arenas will be of enormous benefit for understanding the real combat impact of new toys and cool spells, not to mention help isolate lag issues associated with combat.

Thanks for the new toy !!!

The "cannot be used in combat" system is for the Ancient Right of Passage and other future content, perhaps including food. Nothing to do with Arenas. Just wanted to clear that up.

Fridlekh

It was a really annoying bug though, especially when Manga was making me figure out how to associate animations to Khutit-dragon attacks like tailwhip... modify animation defs -> spawn a creature -> attack! -> "you cannot use that in combat" >.<

Just a quick update that there is a Gatekeeper NPC in Bristugo that will let you bind to Spire's Apex and the Arena. The fee to join a PvP team has also been largely eliminated.

if it ever goes live, I believe the fee is a good thing. However, it should scale appropriatly according to level, sort of like travel gates do. only maybe not a linear progression, but slightly exponential.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

you should only pay a fee if there is a prize, I plan to participate in the PvP arenas as much as I can when I'm bored.

ALOT of people think this is a bad Idea... "I don't like PvP, don't put it in, it will ruin my experiance" Guess what bub, You. will. not. have. any. part. in. it. thus. not. effecting. your. gameing. experience. It is for the people who want too, why be against it?!?! It will help those who want it, and wont effect people who don't. Sure we'll have babies complain about "oooh that lvl 100 with the 60000 lvl 100 classes was an unfair match" guess what, we have an ignore list... its about time we put that thing to use.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl
    linear progression, but slightly exponential.
    BAH! Math terms!!!!... but isn't the travel gate costs exponential anyways, it goes for every 20 lvls... actually rating but moot point. it starts at 40 and ends at 400 at points it hits 88 and thats all the more I pay attention to it, whoopppeddo 400c!!! the worlds going to end... ANYWHOOOooo, if it does go in a linear path could you show the graph to me [:D] I don't see it going in a straight line so that post (if travel gates are not linear) was pointless.

The "cannot be used in combat" system is for the Ancient Right of Passage and other future content, perhaps including food. Nothing to do with Arenas. Just wanted to clear that up.
    Does that mean no Boars mask?!?!?!?! if so, WHOOOPPPPEEEEE!!!! That would rock, people not being able to use the item that makes them twice as better a Berserker when really I don't believe that should happen I mean hehe come on we are the "most powerful melee class in game" atleast thats what I read and joined the school for... just to learn some peice of crap item you can't get anymore makes everyone cast down my class as a waste of time.... (if you can't tell I hate that mask, and givin the position I would have it taken out of game in a second, BUT I can't do that so aside from this last () I will say nothing more about it in this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]tjl wrote:linear progression, but slightly exponential.

BAH! Math terms!!!!... but isn't the travel gate costs exponential anyways, it goes for every 20 lvls... actually rating but moot point. it starts at 40 and ends at 400 at points it hits 88 and thats all the more I pay attention to it, whoopppeddo 400c!!! the worlds going to end... ANYWHOOOooo, if it does go in a linear path could you show the graph to me [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img] I don't see it going in a straight line so that post (if travel gates are not linear) was pointless.
    i don't think this forum software can let me draw some pretty graphs [;)]. They may have changed it, or my memory is bad, or both[:O] but I thought that the port cost raised the same amount each time you leveled. making it linear.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Ic your logic, I'll need the Data per rating lvl and the cost for the port, from major towns even brist if we want two pretty lines. Pretty hard to say when we have not a graph to look upon[:D]

Oz

I have to say I love that the arena was applied to blight. It might allow blight to develop a little more instead of mostly during maintance. Nice idea, Thanks for all the work

Thread Information