Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roleplay and the Hazards Involved

Default Roleplay and the Hazards Involved

As of recent I have cancelled my 2 subs to the game. Although the better half cancelled hers as well, our reasons do differ. Here is my main reason.

Order, and many of those on it, either a) Do not understand Role Play, b) Are intolerant of other styles of rp other then their own or c) just do not want to RP.

Now each of my characters were laid out in advance as to how they would act in Istaria, what faults they had and what good points. Let us see.

Main point from Lore to remember-- The Races are in an uneasy truce with each other.

Bori - The Dwarf-As per the game Lore and being Dwarven, he had little use for those of other races, other then Gnomes. As per his background story he hated dragons ( the story was posted) but since he followed the Dwarven creed of Honor and Justice, if you proved yourself to him, he would accept you. Although grouchy and always picking on someone deep inside he had a soft heart. He never charged for any weapons/tools he made and if he made a deal to do a construction job he kept at it until it was complete.

Sinistre - The Fiend. Sins main fault was he tried to use people to his advantage. If he could twist,cajole a boon from some unsuspecting soul then all was right in his world. His favorite sport was mind games, picking up on someones slip of tongue and then twisting that slip into a dagger and hurling it back. However, he did things in secret that few knew about. Placing essence construction on a building or someones plot without their knowledge. He had his reasons, for in the future he could use this as an "in" to get at someone. However, for some unknown reason he never called in those markers.

Adramaleck - The Dragon- Although following the Helian path he hated the signs of weakness in the lesser races. After all, he was still a Dragon, the most ancient race in Istaria. He had little use for the Lunus and considered them uneducated Barbarians too concerned about where their next gnome dinner was coming from. Show your strength of character to him though and he would fight and die to defend you.

Theftwind - The Human - A bumbling person and a Sorceror he was always searching for his lost flock of "pink butterflies". He was the consumate clown, never knowing which direction to place his feet. Never mean spirited he could still confuse his audience totally by going in the opposite direction everyone wanted him to go.

Dyaus - The Saris. Proud and silent. Being a Monk he made an effort to get along with everybody, from the nice to the mean. However he hated to see those of his race demeaning themselves by mewing, drinking cream, rolling in catnip. That was for domestic house cats and not for someone of the proud Saris Lineage. However, he seldom could get his point across because he was also mute. 34 seasons he made and never spoke one word. Everything he wanted to say he had to emote.

Berglamir - The Half Giant. Slow to anger and slow to speak, nevertheless, he fought until all those around him were safe. He loved animals and never picked on any indigenous species in Istaria. Deers, Gruok, even the normal Forest spiders were safe from his hammer. Creatures of the Aegis however,he considered fair game and attacked them with a vengeance.

Now, each one of those characters had an outline and I let them live out their lives without any more input from me. Yet, I found many on Order, who could NOT understand that it was all Role play, even though I explained it many,many time here on the foums and in the game. The first three, Bori,Adra and Sinistre who were openly antagonistic to others attracted many a tell and harsh OOC comment on the way they acted. The othere three, although receiving tells on how well I roleplayed them, did not bring me that type of grief.

The funny thing though was most of the negative comments I received, did not come from the people the characters were reacting with in game but rather from their in-game friends and guildmates. Very seldom did I get a tell from someone I was interacting with asking me to "cool it" No, it was from those that thought I was being nasty,mean, yadda yadda yadda. I received many a tell from those that wished to commend me on the way I played each toon and many a suprised reaction when they found out "Bori is also Sinistre who is also Adramaleck and so on". Each one I attempted to play in subtley different ways.

Now, I am not asking nor expecting anyone to roleplay the way I do or rather did. I am only asking for some understanding and a bit of tolerance for myself and others like me who do roleplay their characters more in depth then others. My main reason for leaving was Tulgas lack of a response to the RP thread. After 7 pages and many months of pleading and discussing our concerns, they came out with the status quo. They did not offer any understanding into their definition of "High Fantasy" nor did they offer alternate avenues of enforcement other then to zip and bundle up your logs and send them in.

Now I expect to get flamed over this post and certain people will make a point to dissect each and every comment but I owe it to the other roleplayers on Order to provide a reason for my leaving. To those that do take upon themselves to dissect, well, every book,movie,story has its critics and I have dealt with it before. I will say one thing though, if you do decide to point your finger at me to condemn the way I rP'd my characters, remember, there are three fingers pointing right back at you.

Sorry about the length but I had to get all that off my back. See you all around sometimes....someplace...somwhere.
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

Default Re: Roleplay and the Hazards Involved

I have no issues with people who RP "evil/nasty/smartbutt/whatever"

I only have issues with pepole who, when asked to stop or go away, refuse to do so.

If you Bori had come up to me and started being rather nasty, RP or Not, if I asked you to leave my presence or to stop - I would expect you to respect that. I'm sure you could come up with some RP reason as to why you needed to leave, or didn't fruther wish to be in my presence :).

OOC understood or not - even understanding your OOC - I'm sure IC Frith would want you to leave if you were acting a certain way :).

So to me that's the line - RP how you want. But if you're asked - IC or OOC to cease and desist - then you undersatnd that its serious - and you do so. Whomever you are, whatever you RP. Good or Bad, racy or stupid, or whatever.

Besides, if you are Rping with someone and they are sending you nasty tells and obviously feeling personally insulted or whatever - why on earth would you want to continue to antagonize or RP with that person? I mean if peole don't "get it" when I RP - I certainly don't wish to continue to RP with them.

For another example, there was a dragon who shall remain nameless, who was suposedly RPing a bad evil and ugly dragon. He got on the bad side, due to some nasty actions/RP/whatever on one of my guildmates who was about to ascend.

In full out RP, we were attending her ascension and he showed up. OBvoiusly "RP" wise to cause trouble. She, fully RP and OOC, did not want his attendence. We all, as a guild, and everyone present, including the hatchling - asked him to leave. Leave us alone, go away. And to not disrupt such a great event.

He refused.

We asked and begged and railed at him, IC and then when that didnt work OOC wise, the entire "Ascension" gathering - told him to leave. She would not ascend with him here, and to not be a jerk and hold it up. He refused. To this day he is remembered, and thought of as a jerk - because he took it too far and spoiled a big thing.

To me - that crossed a line. Rp all you want, but when he was asked to leave, esp for such a big event, and he refused - it crossed from 'IC' into "OOC" and to me, he used the "IC RP" as an excuse to harrass *shrugs*. I know I'm not hte only one there of that opinion.

On the other hand, I've known many 'evil" Rpers who kill/maime/insult/RP with me and others who laugh and carry on with us OOC and its all in good fun. Because they do not cross that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae
    I have no issues with people who RP "evil/nasty/smartbutt/whatever"

Besides, if you are Rping with someone and they are sending you nasty tells and obviously feeling personally insulted or whatever - why on earth would you want to continue to antagonize or RP with that person? I mean if peole don't "get it" when I RP - I certainly don't wish to continue to RP with them.
    That is my point. If someone I was RP'ing with sent me a tell asking me to stop I would but I seldom if ever received that sort of tell. Rather, I would get tells from other people,not directly involved in the conversation, complaining. Should I be forced to stop then?

EDIT: In fact ..the only person I can remember ever telling me in a tell they were "Uncomfortable" with the way I was roleplaying was Ghenne. Many do not remember her but she ended up being a good friend in game. Otherwise, it was always a "good meaning" friend or guildie.
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

you can't really RP here. the mentality of the meek can't handle it. they always bring about OOC and RL misc into the fray.

it's kinda like wanting to RP a fighter with a strong personality, leading a guild on such a basis, only led to being dubbed as uber/leet/PLer and so on.

they just can't swing it.

Originally from Palmyra, now "South Selen".

Let me share a different perspective, and these are my personal experience and views. I open up to all to try and make things better...

There are "other" folks that come to Order to escape and get away from "the kids" that are typical on some non "RolePlaying" games/servers. To us[:$], RP was a loose fantasy to play in. EULA, Player's Guide... had very little guidance to what the "protocol" was for "proper" RolePlaying. As I recall, the RP guide-lines simply stated naming conventions, period and proper use of OOC in channels.

I would love to try some more "structured" RP, and I have, but felt like an outsider when trying to participate. Maybe its because I do not have the "flowery" tongue... or I simply do not feel comfortable. (Probably too old to learn something new :) )

A thread/FAQ would might help us novices RP more consistently if we knew what the expectation was.... I am not sure... or possibly we do not belong on Order at all if we offend so greatly... I always felt that the "Elders" should also be "Mentors".

But, I think Order loves to help the "young" and has just failed to realize that such a community exists. I know most love to participate, but also a balance needs to be struck? Real-life is scarey and does ooze through everything we do. I have often noticed that Istaria is good "group therapy" for many...

For example, the excellent back-stories presented here are *only here*. It is a shame that they can not be queried (and cross-ref) while visiting Istaria. I have CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) and would soon forgot... :)

Sorry for the rant, but I love[U]: Istaria, to embrace challenges and to understand them...
    its gotta be the Mom[}] in ....

~<Gengel>~

This is a rule from another game that I wrote, which probably applies better to the Chaos shard, but there is some iron in it that could apply to Order as well:

Many participants take on a persona while they are playing and may do or say things that they may not otherwise do in real life. While it is not necessary for any participant to exhibit, or respond in kind to, this behavior, participants should at least recognize it for what it is and refrain from taking any perceived offense out-of-game. If a participant does not wish to partake in the Role-Playing atmosphere with others, a simple statement to that effect made to the other Role-Playing participants should suffice to have them cease and desist with respect to the requesting participant.
    Here's another, which sums up one of the main concerns Frith brought up:

Role-Playing behavior cannot be used as an excuse to break any other rule in the Game.
    It is generally considered very bad etiquette to attempt to gain an out-of-play advantage via breaking a game rule and covering it up with an excuse like "I was just Role-Playing; my persona/character would do that, so why can't I?".
    One of the rules that can't be excused is, simply, harassment.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Well said Pharcellus.

The only thing a little difficult about the first rule, is that it is sometimes difficult to understand when someone is RPing and when someone is just a real stinker IRL. There are many, especially in the Dragon and Marketplace channels, that go back and forth between IC and OOC and sometimes it all gets jumbled.
    I've found myself a few times start to be offended by what someone is doing, then after receiving a tell explaining: "This is IC." it becomes, "Oh, ok. Then it's nothing personal." If the person is able to make that simple comment, it means to me that they are able to separate the two enough where I'm not left wondering if the person isn't just a plain stinker IRL.
    There have been other times though, where I've sent tells asking if something was IC or OOC and didn't get a response. Those people I now avoid.
    I realize that it's just my personal view, and by no means is a set in stone law of any kind. But actually role-play to try and be something better than what I am. People that role-play offensive characters.... well, I just don't understand it, but have learned to live with it if that's what they enjoy.

Thank you Bori for that most insightful post. I only regret my two characters didn't meet yours (or I don't remember) to experience the immersive world of Horizons.

Alas I was more focused on the action side until meeting two dragon characters. One, part of a guild, that was powered through levels - this showed me the error of rushing through content. The other, who I miss even today, to enjoy the game and take it easy, to actually roleplay more. The three of us had good times and I enjoyed Horizons a lot, especially with Shadow.

I was there during the times of this "evil" dragon Frith described and the time he was on the Peak "praying." It had started before then, where his IC actions crossed the line of Player Guidelines and was reported. Thus he suddenly "saw the light" and became more "good" later.

Frith and Pharcellus are very correct when roleplaying is roleplaying, but roleplaying can't cross Player Rules. Only a smart player can play an "evil" character without crossing that line. Most mature players are well aware of that and ignorance is no excuse (as in such is stated in the Player Rules).

Thanks again for your post Bori, perhaps Zideon will actually comprehend the numerous posts players made about roleplaying "high fantasy" on Order. We can only hope.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Since we are on a RP shard, I assume everyone is in-character until the line of the rules is crossed, or am told otherwise by that player (overtly or not). When approaching the line of the rules, I tend to ask, but once the line has been crossed, I pretty much know.

The problem is that my "rules" don't match TG's, so in many cases, there's not much else to do but put that person on ignore.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

it all depends on what people view as offensive. this is far and wide.

imagine on the old Spirit server, all those involved in freeing Feladan were dubbed as "griefer". yup. boy did a ton of people got offended. keep in mind that there were many who worked on Feladan, but still veryminute in server population. most people didn't care to participate in events. they rather work on their plots & crafting levels.

people said they can't adventure or craft with the disease*. their sons, daughters, wives, aunts uncles girlfriends dogs next door neighbors can't function with the disease and their gaming experience came to a halt and waaa...

i got lots of nasty tells ingame on such, so i figure they're roleplaying, you know... i RP tooo...my persona isusually offensive though, imagine that?

thenthese peoplewent and broke downour beings in RL (Khao, Kodock, Sphal, Tigris, Menkure hell even Bori and Ari got some) thatwe must belosers working at McDonalds andIstaria was the only place in this universewe could be something ugh...

Phillip McDrools, haha. no fries for you biaatch.

then it got on the boards, people quitting, their game ruined yada yada...

they came hereto rolepley, they came here to be with the great community, COMMINITAY!! who wants to touch me?!? they came here cuz they casual gamers (the usual bs), they didn't come to play with griefers!

eek.

my ignore list was very long. not sure who offended who...

*the disease lasted 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip
    it all depends on what people view as offensive. this is far and wide.
    Which was the main reason people begged Tulga to set some sort of guidelines. Without, anyone can and does complain that so-an-so is offensive. We've eithergot some really fragile people on the server or they just don't get the concept of roleplay because they've never played on a RP server. DAoC for example has roleplay servers that are strictly enforced. You HAVE to stay in character or suffer the consequences. Without getting into the utterly kinky, roleplay is playing a part that is different than you. Because a couple indulges in roleplay to keep their relationship alive,do you judge themand call the cops?

imagine on the old Spirit server, all those involved in freeing Feladan were dubbed as "griefer". yup. boy did a ton of people got offended. keep in mind that there were many who worked on Feladan, but still veryminute in server population. most people didn't care to participate in events. they rather work on their plots & crafting levels.

people said they can't adventure or craft with the disease*. their sons, daughters, wives, aunts uncles girlfriends dogs next door neighbors can't function with the disease and their gaming experience came to a halt and waaa...
    That was an excuse used by too many. Some boycotted the game during the plague, some flat out demanded with threats of law suits to then AE if they didn't remove it. Sad part is, it doesn't stop there, some people STILL complain the debuffs that mobs throw on them are too harsh and should be removed because it ruins their game play.

i got lots of nasty tells ingame on such, so i figure they're roleplaying, you know... i RP tooo...my persona isusually offensive though, imagine that?
    NOOOoooo, not Phillip! [:P]

thenthese peoplewent and broke downour beings in RL (Khao, Kodock, Sphal, Tigris, Menkure hell even Bori and Ari got some) thatwe must belosers working at McDonalds andIstaria was the only place in this universewe could be something ugh...
    Oh yeah, I remember that nonsense... Glory hounds. We were only trying to compensate for our crappy real lives. Thing is a couple of people in that list had a name for themselves on the outside world and we came here to play a part different from what we were RL. Hell, look at Phillip's picture in the gallery, you don't get to Pompeii on Micky D wages!

In the last interview Bowman said the average player was 34. I have to question that because most 34 year olds don't whine about Johnny is better than me so you should take away his abilities. Most 34 year olds don't get upset because Joe called me a misbegotten son of an earth worm. Most 34 year olds understand the difference between roleplay and real life persona.
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Seems to me that what some purported roleplayers overlook in MMORPG's, as opposed to around a tabletop with a PnP game, is that there are real, live human beings behind the cartoons you see. Those human beings do not, indeed cannot, see your physical body language, nor do they have any concept of who you are, and what you are, away from the computer, again much unlike playing a PnP game around a table with your best buddies.

So, when you decide in an MMORPG to be abusive and/or obnoxious pursuant to some personna you may have created, you have to expect to receive negative reactions from the majority of the MMORPG community at large. Particularly when you choose to disrupt events put together by members of the community who in RL couldn't pick you out of a group of two if the other was a refrigerator.

So it further seems to me that these "hardcore" roleplayers are the ones who need to develop "thicker skins," not the community at large. They need to endure the slings and arrows that will inevitably be hurled their way by the rest of the community when they, themselves, unilaterally choose to "roleplay" abusive and obnoxious characters.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalyr
    So it further seems to me that these "hardcore" roleplayers are the ones who need to develop "thicker skins," not the community at large. They need to endure the slings and arrows that will inevitably be hurled their way by the rest of the community when they, themselves, unilaterally choose to "roleplay" abusive and obnoxious characters.
    You brought up pen and paper table top roleplay. I assume you meant AD&D and not Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You mean you've never had a Chaotic Evil person in your party and every one wasLawful Good?

Adding someone who isn't always goodie two shoes adds spice to adventure and excitement to missions. It allows you to explore the other side of life that's not you without any real injury in the process. If feelings are hurt or someone is offended by a person playing a not so nice guy, then it's not the fault of the roleplayer but the fault of the person who made the foolish assumption that HE (the guy behind the character) was the meanie and the injured party, didn't take into account that they logged into a roleplaying server where some people actually do roleplay.

Tolerance of other peoples game play is important. If you walk into a game with the assumption that it's just like the last game you played, then you are in for a world of shock and surprise. I've run across people who play ladies of the evening. Did I take offense to them? Not in the least. Did I assume they were really street walkers? Hardly!

I'm tolerant of other peoples play style and don't jump to conclusions. Judging a person based on the way they play a character is NOT tolerance. Especially when you begin to put all that person's characters into one category and treat each one the way you judged the first. You then are not roleplaying nor are you tolerant of that person's roleplay.

Like I said before, we either have very fragile people or they just don't get the concept of roleplay.
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

I certainly agree that Order has a few "very fragile people or they just don't get the concept of [real life, carbon-based players]." [;)]
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Ah, then we agree. To attack a person based on the way they happen to play a character and resort to name calling is a sign of someone who is fragile.

Real life carbon based players are on BOTH sides of the keyboard but some tend to forget that. Once a fragile person begins to make assumptions, they tend to let that taint their perception from that point forward with intentional comments and digs to "get even" for being offended or made a fool of during a roleplay session.

I will agree though on certain instances where roleplay was used as a crutch... ie Dilgar but who could judge? Tulga saw it as strictly roleplay, no grief whatsoever.

The final decission as to obnoxious lays on Tulga, if they find nothing wrong with the roleplay style of a particula player, then your options are to accept or ignore.

I know for a fact most of what some complain is obnoxious, Tulga has no problem with because they've taken the time to speak to the person behind the keys and seen where the complainer was off base.
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order

as much as you guys don't think RP is as good as it could be right now, it is a hell of a lot better than when we had a server full of people.

Dilgar was one type of RPer i didn't care for. however i was on his case in an RP sense, not the way 90% of the server was to him, bring on RL dialogue.

however, no walk of life should i welcome someone spreading a disease willingly. now, the problem is: i.can't.kill.him. if AE was to define Dilgar's actions as legitimate, then let us do to him what is also legitimate. IF Dilgar is allowed to spread the disease for RP sake, Phillip should be allowed shove his blade where the sun don't shine, which he would RP-wise and then some. but oopsie,such mechanism isn't available so uh...so Dilbert can RP butYOU and Ican't. so hey stfu and suffer the remmification of RP, okay?

BS.

it was griefing.

N'allii

Let me just say something about the 'IC character abusement' thing. I've got a friend who I met through roleplaying, Dinerra. She was [In character ;)] cold hearted, abuseive and down right grouchy about me being a dragon. I then roleplayed a brand new little hatchling playing with a Saris, much like a toy, petting her and thinking she was 'cute', ect. We both respected eachothers roleplaying styles and characters without going at eachothers throats OOC.

My question is, why can't we all just get along like Dinerra and I have? It saddens me to see that something that is fun is destroyed by a couple of people who don't know when they've crossed the line and when it's time to stop. *sigh*.

Don't get me wrong Phillip. I totally agree that Dilgar was griefing but no matter how many times I complained, THAT was the answer given. He wasn't breaking the rules of roleplay so they wouldn't do anything to him. He was the savior sent by the Rat King to deliver us all. Only problem in that was Istaria has no rats!

I learned to play dirty back. Although I did step out of RP for that, by using the player search I could keep tabs on him. There was one day I kept him yaking away in General Channel while telling Ebel where he was by using player search. Oh was HE mad we found and cured him before he could spread the plague.

N'allii, I play a gnome and that is the mentality I use when playing her. I also have a dryad who bears a striking resemblance to the dryad of the current event. I made her 2 days after dryad's were released, colored her hair green and used blight to explain why she had a mean streak. Her tree was blighted, and the poison got into her. Oddly enough, my gnome was the first character I made when HZ launched, yet people associate me with my dryad instead of my gnome because she is mean.

See, there is nothing wrong (by my standards) in playing a dark paladin, cold hearted fiend, verbally abusive dragon, what have you. It's others who seem to havea problem with it. Those are the fragile people I'm talking about. The ones who take it all personally, carry a grudge in and out of game. That's where the hazards of roleplay really come into it.
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order

"The ones who take it all personally, carry a grudge in and out of game. That's where the hazards of roleplay really come into it."

that was the problem and back then we had 90% more players than we do now. if by a miracle HZ will get such subs again, would you doubt we'll get those types of players?

i wouldn't.

i once got reported for making fun of this guy who wore pink and GREEN cargo gear. basically he wanted me to be more useful by dedicating my time to be a runner for some project. i told him i don't do that sort of thing. he said a couple things then started telling me that HZ isn't for uber types, but a craftcentric community roleplayinggame etc. he told me to go back to EQ hehe. wow, amazing RP. you would have been proud haha [:|]

Khao said if he's the RP police i should be the fashion police. sounds good so i let it ripped. i mean c'mon, PINK and GREEN?

he actually went into MP and said it was harrassment hehe. doh.

It is not possible to rp a negative character in public without offending someone. Eventually it will happen, guaranteed. It could be done in private, in a chat channel, with all the people who are clued in to the character. But for some reason many people who choose to play negative characters insist on playing them in public, kind of like smokers who just have to smoke in the presence of those that don't appreciate it, or people who play their music really loud with their car windows open (in case you might enjoy it I guess). And sometimes when people become offended by a Character, they carry that over to their opinion of the Player as well. Not good but it happens. So if you play a negative character, you will run into this sooner or later in any game.

Thread Information