Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PvP in Chaos?

Thormor

Default PvP in Chaos?

I hear theyre going to test it in blight, ive already signed up for the character copy too. I would like to give PvP a try in horizons but i also think it would effect the community alot. Do you think PvP will come over to Chaos? Or how can I tell if it is? I've talked of this with some people in the marketplace chat channel on Chaos when i was playing and i also heard much about people quitting if it does come to Chaos :S How much controversy will this cause, of any?[^o)]

Default Re: PvP in Chaos?

I, for one, will most certainly quit, no questions asked, if PvP comes to live. This is not what Horizons is about. The pvp area on blight is just a fun thing, never meant to go anywhere.
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

The party line is: Atm there are no plans to bring it to the live shards, its a testing tool.

Now threatening to quit is sorta a kneejerk reaction in my opinion. But the concerns seem to be of 3 fold.

1.) Priorities: Horizons isn't a pvp based game. And justifiable or not (work was done outside of company time), some people will have perceptions that their priorties aren't where they should be, given the issues of the game, and the lack of manpower.

2.) Balancing: As it stands, the Hz is not balanced for pvp in anyway, whether single classed or multiclassed. And some have concerns that any pvp implementation no matter how rudimentary, unofficial, etc will bring in either lobbying by players for balance changes. Which will invariable be seen as nerfs (true or not). Or lead to developers making balance changes in the interests of pvp (although denied) even in the abscence of player lobbying.

3.) community. Some have concerns that any introduction of pvp will lessen the community spirit so often deemed as a positive feature of horizons.They have concerns that a pvp mindset will come to horizons. More competitive, less cooperative. Or that it'll attract "undesirable elements" from the MMORPG player base, the leet crowd of people coming in wanting to pwn people

Me? I enjoyed my pvp on Blight (and i plan to enjoy it some more). Was nice to test my skills against challenging opponents for once. Although pvp isn't very high at all onmy personal priority list. Oh how I wish Smeglor was spending his lunch time coding Dynamic Blight [:P]

But my primary concern is that pushing the arena live will cost Horizons valuable subscribers. Even if non of the above come to pass. Remember we're (warning stereotyping imminent) MMORPG players, it doesn't have to be true, for us to quit over it.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

The way I heard it, it was an area on Blight for testing purposes only. Even if you're on Blight a WM would have to teleport you to the PvP area.

But I agree with Nisse on one thing.If TG were so crazy as to let itgo live and if it were not TOTALLY avoidable or if taking part in PvPgave any advantage WHATSOEVERin the rest of the game then my CONSIDERED reaction is I'll cancel IMMEDIATELY.

I detest PvP.

This has nothing to do with balance or community concerns. Anyone who thinks that's the only reason people avoid PvP doesn'tunderstand why so many people avoid PvP.

Having said that, I really doubt TG would be so insane as to put live PvP which was not totally avoidable without harm to you character's development. They have always maintained that to do PvP right requires the game be built from the ground up for PvP, which HZ was not.

So I don't think that people like me or Nisse have anything to worry about.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I'm on Order and would prefer NOT having PVP there, even if it is in an arena. So much talk of people coming in, abusing or harassing others, challenging them to PVP fights, and then griefing. Not something I condone or want around.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Bah... PERSONALLY I don't care if it comes over as long as it's NOT mandatory, or even accidentally possible.

As others have said, if it ever makes it to live it will open a can of worms that NOONE wants to deal with. I know many who say they will quit for this brings to the surface fear that this is a downward spiral due to the can of worms, and the misplaced prioritization suggested by it.

I've seen it work wonderfully and bring together whole communities (see AC1's Baelzeron crystal event), but in this case, in this world, it's just asking for trouble.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

I logged in to Blight last night to watch PJ smack Manga around (5-0 for the Demon Slayer!) and I have to say, the Arena is about as avoidable as you can get.

You have to talk to an NPC toattune, port to one attuned pad, then port to a second one, and then talk to an NPC and activly request to be set to PvP. I honestly don't think a serious PvP enthusiast would be attracted to it.

I wouldn't quit if it came to live; it's what happens afterwards that would be the basis of my decision.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

The can of worms, or perhaps a more appropriate phrase of Pandora's Box, has already been opened. With the ability to have existing characters copied to blight, the ability to start the comparisons for class balancing (see PJ's point #2 above) already exists.

I anxiously await the outcome of some of the combats that will take place. Perhaps it will finally put to rest some of the arguments that have gone on and on and on about how overpowered some classes are over others. But make no mistake, once the balancing begins everyone should expect changes, both good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax
    I detest PvP.

This has nothing to do with balance or community concerns. Anyone who thinks that's the only reason people avoid PvP doesn'tunderstand why so many people avoid PvP.
    Elaborate,I had thought I'd pretty much covered the general range of reasons.

Sorry, I don't see a problem with it. Its an arena and adds some fun to the game for those who WISH to participate. Thats it. Everyone in there had fun and were courtious and even waited for people to be ready before starting to fight.

Personally I liked it. It gave me something different to do, and really helped me to understand my character and class a little better. Each time I lost, I learned something. There was no name calling and abuse.

Like I said the only real thing is since HZ is multiclassed its tough to have equal fights unless you have large teams or fight within your own class. I think DP's should be left out, because if it were to go live that would just be something that causes problems. Its for learning your character, to train, and mostly to have fun.......end of story

Jayne

I played a few rounds on blight in the Arena.

It was fun.

Like pj said. somewhat chllenging opponent for once.

Theres no possibility for griefing, all these arguments about are all well and fine, but the current "Training Arena" is pvp in it's weakest, tiniest representation.

There's no accidental PVP flagging. Theres no point other than to test your skills against someone else.

If someone complains about the Arena for whatever reasons ---> is the door. Everyone I talked to about thier arena experience had fun with it.

Let us bored maxed out adventurers have our fun

I do not like PVP - I dont do it, have no desire to do it, don't care about those who do do it ;).

That being said - the only way *I* would be *OK* with PVP coming to the Live Shards is...

1 - if it stayed in the Arena only, with that whole attuning process and such

2 - if it was put in with the dev statement and understanding that all cries of balancing/wanting pvp rewards/ranking systems etc woudl go on deaf ears - and that nothing but the ability to PVP in the arena would change - but any other PVP oriented considerations won't be considered.

Simply put - it was there in the areana as a mechanic for those who wish to partake - but obviously the focus, concern, etc. for the 99.9% of the PVE environment stayed the way it is now. WIth no further concern nor development on the PVP side.

I mean the fact that up until this very second I had no idea they even HAD PVP on blight makes me think they had no intentions of making it live.

I won't quit if they do it in an extremely limiting and unrewarding except for the sheer benefit of "beating your buddy in the arena". Keepign out PVP rankings or rewards or looting and such would probably keep out most of the population who plays PVP for those purposes *ala WoW*

If they didn't keep to the focus of what I explained above, yea..I'd not only quit, I'd quit in disgust at what happened and I'd talk bad about Hz from there on out.

(and I talk alot...rofl)

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman
    I'm glad that those who voluntarily go to the arena are having some fun with it. Be advised that we will not listen to feedback of the "I lost to X so do Y." We are only interested in making the player-vs-monster experience more fun, and this is a testing ground for us to do this... do not expect us to change anything. Don't like deathpoints, don't die. Want a shrine? Not going to happen. We will add things to allow us to do better testing... ie... trainers and maybe a vaultkeeper.

Remember the intent of the arenas... and they'll be able to stay. If there is anynegativespill-over to the rest of the game, I will make them inaccessible to players immediately. We've left a ball in a playground, play nice...

David
    Seems pretty cut and dry

Although I agree that Hz is in no way balanced for PvP, if for a strange reason it does get implemented on the live servers might I suggest that ppl need to challenge another player and if that player agrees or also challenges the challenger than the fight begins...
    But on the other hand for those that dont like PvP, they simply ignore the challenge...
    I play SWG which has a PvP element, got 3 serious challenges, accepted once and my challenger ran away fast after 5 minutes never to be seen again... (we were both lvl 3 I believe)

I think PvP in an arena wouldnt be so bad as long as ppl have a choice and are not forced into it...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Yes PJ, looks pretty clear cut, and no disrespect to Mr. Bowman (Jaynekneals on one kneepolitely).

But as far as DP's go, I think it would make the area and it's existance for players in game that don't want to do anything with PvP, better if we had NO DP's from the arena.

That way there can be no smack talk or mention of the arena like....... "I would go fight on elnath but I got to many DP's from being at the arena".

Just trying to think of as many possible scenerios that may make it a negative. Of course confectioner school is getting fixed now so maybe it will be easier and less expensive to get rid of DP's....:)

Anyway. Like I said I had fun. Do I want to do it everytime I log on......Heck no. I still have way more fun killing the WA's butt! But it is a nice way to tone up for when the real wars come :)

Jayne

PvP, even consensual PvP is a CS nightmare that I don't believe TG wants to try on a large scale.

CS? I'm pretty sure this is and will not be large scale.

Jayne

While I'm one of the ones who is against this coming to the Live Shards, I do believe it will do some good on Blight by giving developers some AI traits to MOBs. Classes tend to get played a certain way, it would be nice to see some counters built into the way monsters/WA fight in the game based on Developers being able to watch Players fight.

Bulgrim
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

I agree with you there. As a testing tool I can see where it would be nice to be able to pit different types of characters against each other. I always figured they had something like that on their in-house shard or SOMEWHERE, even if it was just a little stand alone special purpose server running on someone's PC.

I just object to having to take part in PvP to fully develop my character or, even worse, being subject to ambush from any d00d twice my level who gets the urgejust because he can. I avoid games like that, and if by some horrible mistake I find myself playing such a game, I rectify the mistake immediately.

From DB's statement it sounds like there's nothing for me to worry about here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax
    I just object to having to take part in PvP to fully develop my character or, even worse, being subject to ambush from any d00d twice my level who gets the urgejust because he can. I avoid games like that, and if by some horrible mistake I find myself playing such a game, I rectify the mistake immediately.
    Even if everything on blight got pushed to the live shards, this would never happen. I don't know if you've looked at how it works on blight, but you can ONLY fight on a VERY SMALL island COMPLETELY SEPERATE from the main world. You also MUST consent to fight or be hurt and even then the effect is TEMPORARY AND LIMITED TO THE ARENA. Tulga has made it VERY CLEAR that they do not want the kind of PvP featured in many other MMO's.

Just wanted to make that clear. What's on blight isn't the PvP cliché many of us have come to know and loathe.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Thread Information